NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

58 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

A constant narrative from the local press pack is that Howe prefers PL experience, the links to certain players  is no coincidence and are players Howe clearly rates.

I have no doubt if Howe was given the option right now of Connor Gallagher, McTominay, Phillips, Kone, or Thuram, he’d choose any of the first 3 mentioned.

Like him as a coach but want him as far away from transfers as possible.

Making stuff up. :thup:

Nobody knows the clubs strategy on transfers, other than those involved, to suggest otherwise is a bit daft. I think we'll look for value, not necessarily British players, but I know fuck all about anything, so who knows.

1 minute ago, Pablo123 said:

Nobody knows the clubs strategy on transfers, other than those involved, to suggest otherwise is a bit daft. I think we'll look for value, not necessarily British players, but I know fuck all about anything, so who knows.

I know the clubs strategy.... its to sign quality players. :lol:

Pope

Isak

Bruno

Botman

Livramento 

Trippier

Tonali

Gordon

Barnes (I'm sure will come good in time)

Burn (value for money at the very least)...

Hall (hard to tell how it will work out but I could see what they were trying)

Wood (A bit of a plank but it was clearly a short term fix)

It begs belief that there is any doubt in our transfer strategy, after the years of shite we've been served up.

Could we have tried to do something different around the Lewis Hall deal? Perhaps but even if it goes wrong, that's a decent strike rate on signings.

We've had a tough season with injuries. That's it. That's what this is all about. Give us half the injuries and none of us having this discussion. (Not aimed at you Pablo).

1 minute ago, STM said:

Pope

Isak

Bruno

Botman

Livramento 

Trippier

Tonali

Gordon

It begs belief that there is any doubt in our transfer strategy, after the years of shite we've been served up.

Could we have tried to do something different around the Lewis Hall deal? Perhaps but even if it goes wrong, that's a decent strike rate on signings.

We've had a tough season with injuries. That's it. That's what this is all about. Give us half the injuries and none of us having this discussion. (Not aimed at you Pablo).

We have been very good in the market so far. I do still feel we could have had spent the money better in the summer, certainly feel we didn’t sign what we needed.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

We have been very good in the market so far. I do still feel we could have had spent the money better in the summer, certainly feel we didn’t sign what we needed.

And that's a perfectly fair point. No issue with anyone saying perhaps we could have let's say gone for a RW rather than Barnes who plays mainly on the LW but I'd mitigate that by saying Howe and Co had no idea that Murphy would miss 3 months or that Barnes himself would have such an outrageous injury.

Same with Tonali, perhaps there's an argument to say an orthodox DM would have been a better shout.

My point was more aimed towards the "Howe wants British cloggers" brigade. Which there's absolutely no substance to other than supposition, conjecture and the odd article which talks about him wanting  PL experience.

We've signed 12 players, 7 of which have come from domestic clubs. Added to that Howe couldn't believe his luck when he was told he could get Tonali (that's words from his mouth). Some are talking absolute shite on this topic and it's tedious.

Trippier, Burn, Wood, Pope, Gordon, Hall, Tino, McTominay, Barnes, Phillips, Solanke, and Gallagher obviously all pushed by Howe.

Bruno, Botman, Carlos, Isak, Tonali, Barella, Diomande, and Dragusin all found by Nickson/Ashworth.

Howe’s xenophobic transfer dealings are tearing the St. James’ Park backroom apart to the point that any foreign player has to be discussed covertly.

(The funny thing is the ones we actually signed in the first group have largely worked out well and provided good value)

Just now, timeEd32 said:

Trippier, Burn, Wood, Pope, Gordon, Hall, Tino, McTominay, Barnes, Phillips, Solanke, and Gallagher obviously all pushed by Howe.

Bruno, Botman, Carlos, Isak, Tonali, Barella, Diomande, and Dragusin all found by Nickson/Ashworth.

Howe’s xenophobic transfer dealings are tearing the St. James’ Park backroom apart to the point that any foreign player has to be discussed covertly.

(The funny thing is the ones we actually signed in the first group have largely worked out well and provided good value)

I'm presuming this is satire? :lol:

6 minutes ago, STM said:

Pope

Isak

Bruno

Botman

Livramento 

Trippier

Tonali

Gordon

My comment was aimed at potential sales and people thinking Howe just likes to buy British players.

I don't think we know if Howe has much say. I agree with what you're saying. I think we've bought very well, tbh.

I've got complete trust in Howe and our transfer strategy. Like you say, we've been dry humped up the Gary with our injuries this season. 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Just read in one of the papers again today how McTominay suits our ethos being tall and physical. :facepalm:

In fairness it is two things EH looks for in a player. Not saying it’s his ultimate aim/priority but he does want a physically dominating team.

We just can't sell British players and sign foreigners, no matter the value in the two respective markets.

We need UK trained players for the PL quotas, and the European ones. That's why we've bought a good core of British players, nothing to do with the manager not being able to see beyond these shores.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

We just can't sell British players and sign foreigners, no matter the value in the two respective markets.

We need UK trained players for the PL quotas, and the European ones. That's why we've bought a good core of British players, nothing to do with the manager not being able to see beyond these shores.

Shhh, you'll spoil clueless people's fume.

The key is a mix. We've been down the "French day" route, ultimately you end up with a soulless team of players who don't understand the culture of the club and have far less investment in how things pan out for the team, largely because if things go tits up they can just call their agent and do a body swerve back home.

On the other hand, we don't want a Steve Bruce or Kevin Nolan style "lads" culture, where by as long as you are a "good honest pro" or whatever you will get a game.

Do your research, are they a good player? are they a good character? are the committed for the medium term, at least? Try and find value in the foreign market but also don't be afraid to splash on good young English players. You can't go far wrong.

Edited by STM

If you asked Eddie Howe for three CM targets, of course he's going to name three PL players. He watches the league week in, week out and will have analysed each of those three thoroughly & be well aware of their strengths, weaknesses, areas of potential improvement. He's not going to name some unpolished diamond from Ligue 2.

What he has shown is that he will listen to the likes of Steve Nickson and will certainly welcome signings from anywhere provided he thinks they can play. 

Just now, Keegans Export said:

If you asked Eddie Howe for three CM targets, of course he's going to name three PL players. He watches the league week in, week out and will have analysed each of those three thoroughly & be well aware of their strengths, weaknesses, areas of potential improvement. He's not going to name some unpolished diamond from Ligue 2.

What he has shown is that he will listen to the likes of Steve Nickson and will certainly welcome signings from anywhere provided he thinks they can play. 

I don't even think that's true though.

The Eddie Howe I know is well aware of alot European talent. Might help that his Nephew is a scout mind. :lol:

1 minute ago, STM said:

I don't even think that's true though.

The Eddie Howe I know is well aware of alot European talent. Might help that his Nephew is a scout mind. :lol:

I'm sure he is aware but he isn't going to have the time mid-season to do a load of scouting, he'll (quite rightly) rely on the scouts to add to any shortlists we have.

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

A constant narrative from the local press pack is that Howe prefers PL experience, the links to certain players  is no coincidence and are players Howe clearly rates.

I have no doubt if Howe was given the option right now of Connor Gallagher, McTominay, Phillips, Kone, or Thuram, he’d choose any of the first 3 mentioned.

Like him as a coach but want him as far away from transfers as possible.

Pretty sure those first 3 mentioned could have been signed for Tonali money like.

If we exclude Howe's first transfer market, which was largely needs must and Ashworth hadn't yet been appointed, the only player you could argue was an average British player is Targett, but he'd been largely excellent during his loan spell.

The jury is still out on Hall and Barnes, but one is a highly thought of Cobham youth product and the other has an excellent Premier League record.

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

You planning on dying on this hill then? I am just going to assume that you're winding everyone up at this point.

What’s incorrect about what I stated, disregard Minteh who was a development signing, 4 of last 5 signings are from the PL fact.