Harvey Barnes

khay

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

Selling ASM will free up a lot more than what we will be spending on Barnes and I would rather do that than consolidating with what we have.

same goes for Almiron and Wilson.

You don’t sell your best players that embody the spirit of the club all in one window ?

Have some patience with this squad build.

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Kev Lawson seems to rate them too.

great. Has he done a 40 tweet thread yet with numerous diagrams nobody understands on how Barnes will be an invaluable asset to Nufc against teams who employ a low block with 6 holding midfielders, 3 cbs, 1 sweeper and a goalkeeper over 6ft?

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

great. Has he done a 40 tweet thread yet with numerous diagrams nobody understands on how Barnes will be an invaluable asset to Nufc against teams  against who employ a low block with 6 holding midfielders, 3 cbs, 1 sweeper and a goalkeeper over 6ft?

Sounds like you need to sign up to Kev's newsletter. We know you're a huge fan :lol:

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

You don’t sell your best players that embody the spirit of the club all in one window ?

Have some patience with this squad build.

You also don’t stand still while all of the clubs around you are looking to improve, what happens in those circumstances is you go backwards.

There is a lag now between what we can spend and the future revenues for when we improve the commercial side, the only way to bridge that is by selling players.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If we sell ASM and replace him with Barnes it'll be to free up funds under FFP and add a more functional player to the ranks.

Did some rough math here:

5 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

This tactical alteration thing may have some truth in it, but it also feels way too overblown and quite convenient as there's not really a way to disprove it. He's not Messi and it doesn't matter how good he is if he's not first choice for the manager. Plus, it's not "dumb as fuck" when you do the math:

Barnes in: 

£35m fee, 5 year deal - £80k / wk (double current reported wages)

FFP: £7m/yr amortized fee + £4.16m/yr wages = £11.16m/yr

Maxi out:

£40m fee

FFP: £40m - remaining £6.75m amortization (estimate based on extension) = £33.25m profit + £3.64m wages saved per year

2023/24 - £36.89m in/saved - £11.16m spent = £25.73m profit

2024/25 - £3.64m saved - £11.16m = £7.52m loss

2025/26 - £3.64m saved - £11.16m = £7.52m loss

That's a £10.5m profit even looking out to the 25/26 three year period, but that £25m profit is even more important for this season's and next season's three year period given the spending we had to do over the last two years and the lack of salable assets / commercial revenue. 

We are going to have to sell players. We are going to have to sell players that are good and other clubs want. 

9 minutes ago, Shak said:

I think their price tags will be similar enough but that frees up an awful lot of FFP room this year.

Even if we could pocket £20 million profit on ASM it potentially frees up £100 million this window. We will need to find another £20 million next year but that should fall in with the profit from Champions League and the adidas deal.

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Did some rough math here:

I know people get attached to players and I understand that completely. However, this is the only way we can continue this level of spending while we grow the commercial side.

17 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

You also don’t stand still while all of the clubs around you are looking to improve, what happens in those circumstances is you go backwards.

There is a lag now between what we can spend and the future revenues for when we improve the commercial side, the only way to bridge that is by selling players.

You don’t sell ASM and your 2 top goal scorers in the same window ??‍♂️ 

Who you replacing them with? ?

3 hours ago, joeyt said:

He’s another one I’m skeptical of. He’s not reporting anything new.

I think there are a few tell tales signs for these types of account:

- They complain their exclusives are being nicked/not credited. 
- They tend only to get the deals right that are reported elsewhere, and even then, they don’t stray too far from what bigger fish are saying. 
- They usually never reference the fact they are silent on some deals (this guy didn’t know Jack about Tonali until others did.

I’m inclined to believe Rob M and The Athletic. The club are putting a lockdown on leaks, and aren’t afraid to use smokescreens or work on multiple deals simultaneously. 

11 minutes ago, LFEE said:

You don’t sell ASM and your 2 top goal scorers in the same window ??‍♂️ 

Who you replacing them with? ?

I think we could comfortably if the money was right, potentially this is the last window where we could get good money for Wilson and Almiron.

as for who would I replace them with, I would leave that to the club but as they have a good track record of signing players and using the money well.

I would bet this strategy would be more successful compared to not wanting to sell anyone because I was attached to them, then watching us being outspent by all of our rivals. 

Just now, Matt1892 said:

I think we could comfortably if the money was right, potentially this is the last window where we could get good money for Wilson and Almiron.

as for who would I replace them with, I would leave that to the club but as they have a good track record of signing players and using the money well.

I would bet this strategy would be more successful compared to not wanting to sell anyone because I was attached to them, then watching us being outspent by all of our rivals. 

The club ain’t wanting to sell Wilson & Almiron this window you are. Your in charge now… Give me names? 

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

The club ain’t wanting to sell Wilson & Almiron this window you are. Your in charge now… Give me names? 

What a weird way you try to debate people on an internet forum. 

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

What a weird way you try to debate people on an internet forum. 

By questioning your logic and asking you to back it up by explaining it further what your plan would be? ? I’ve asked you twice and you’ve been unable to replace our two top goal scorers this window as I’m presuming you are selling ASM (£55kpw) and for Barnes (Gordon’s wage I would imagine £100kpw) which I wouldn’t personally this year but I’ll give you it to help with FFP. I just can’t see the logic of selling Wilson & Almiron and how doing so is progressing whilst keeping them is consolidation/regression in this window.

I'd agree with your general point about not overhauling the squad too much LFEE but "tell me which specific players you would bring in instead" is a nonsense arguement IMO.

7 minutes ago, Shak said:

I'd agree with your general point about not overhauling the squad too much LFEE but "tell me which specific players you would bring in instead" is a nonsense arguement IMO.

Of course it isn’t. When names are given I would’ve explained the logic like I usually do. Anyway it looks like he’s still checking his scouting reports ?

I get the FFP issues and each year there will be a sacrificial lamb for want of a better phrase but you can’t get obsessed with it and let it dictate and pull apart everything we’ve just built. 

Just need to build the squad steadily. Too many people thinking we are going to be doing 4-6 in and out each window. After this window our incomings will probably drop to 1-2 a season in the summers and a rare addition in the winter. God help the forum when that day comes ?

21 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

unless we’ve triggered add one it’s £5.3m amortisation left on Maxi -  £16m over 6 years with 2 left to go.

it’s the original contract length, you ignore any extensions given 

When a player is given an extension you can use those new years to spread the fee out even further. Obviously it’s never announced if the club is doing that so there’s guesswork involved, but in most cases I assume they would.

Even with the new UEFA rules that cap amortization at 5 years you can extend it further with a contract extension, which is now also capped at five years from the date of the extension.

In Maxi’s case the difference is pretty negligible either way.

2 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

great. Has he done a 40 tweet thread yet with numerous diagrams nobody understands on how Barnes will be an invaluable asset to Nufc against teams who employ a low block with 6 holding midfielders, 3 cbs, 1 sweeper and a goalkeeper over 6ft?

Reminder he is literally the marketing guy who unlikely received any statistics training during his music degree. 

8 hours ago, Viana said:

He’s another one I’m skeptical of. He’s not reporting anything new.

I think there are a few tell tales signs for these types of account:

- They complain their exclusives are being nicked/not credited. 
- They tend only to get the deals right that are reported elsewhere, and even then, they don’t stray too far from what bigger fish are saying. 
- They usually never reference the fact they are silent on some deals (this guy didn’t know Jack about Tonali until others did.

I’m inclined to believe Rob M and The Athletic. The club are putting a lockdown on leaks, and aren’t afraid to use smokescreens or work on multiple deals simultaneously. 

You can’t lockdown leaks , 

it’s possible to keep things quiet on our end but impossible for their end 

The player , the players agents , players friends / family , other team mates , team mates agents , opposing manager , opposing club directors, their family , journalists , etc 

All agents want it to Leak to generate interest , to increase the £££

7 hours ago, Shak said:

It is a nonsense argument and one people will avoid.

There is a legitimate debate on how we overcome FFP in the next few years as I’m of the belief that it was implemented to keep teams from breaking in to that top group of clubs on a permanent basis, as they will always have the money to buy the better players and pay the bigger wages until you can match them financially, which you are looking at a 5 year minimum period of being there or thereabouts.

In ASM you have a player who wouldn’t be in my starting 11 and that Harvey Barnes could replace for a similar fee, freeing up funds over the next few years due to ASM being pure profit.

You then have Callum Wilson who has came off his best season scoring wise but again, he wouldn’t be in my starting 11, is 31 and in the final 12 months of his contract. Now is the only time we can realistically get decent money for him especially after his finish to the season, as it has help people forget the period from November until April where he only scored one goal in all competitions.

Then there is Almiron, a player who would be in my starting 11 but who sits in a position where we clearly need an upgrade. His purple patch has boosted his value but I don’t have any faith that we will see that again, meaning his value will drop going forward.

So if we want to keep up our level of spending that has taken us to the Champions League so we can keep progressing from there then we need to sell, otherwise we slow down and are overtaken.