Harvey Barnes

khay

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

I said he peaked at Liverpool. I also said his decline had started. He had trophies aside a very average at best spell at Chelsea. He’d lost a yard of pace just before leaving Liverpool and his physicality was on the decline. Along came the mega money at Chelsea and his motivation started to drop as he showed less effort and fight on the pitch. Probably frustration knowing he couldn’t glide past players like he could when he first joined Liverpool.

The reason it was a record fee was partly due to Roman being obsessed with him and Liverpool preferring to not sell to a rival. The fee was also set at £20m + whatever the Carroll fee was going to cost them from us (£35m) as they had Suarez lined up for £20m.

Wiki can say what it wants and if you re-read your quote it doesn’t contradict anything I said. I know what I saw. Liverpool absolutely sold him at the right time ?

Maybe we’ve got wires crossed. You said “Both players had already peaked” when he/they went to Liverpool…I said that he peaked WHEN HE WAS AT Liverpool. You saying that’s both the same thing? If so, yes, I agree. Just didn’t sound like that to me, so apologies if your quote was read incorrectly. 

The Leicester winger is Eddie Howe’s primary target, after the arrival of midfielder Sandro Tonali for £55 million from AC Milan. If the move for Barnes is concluded — and the player is said to be keen on a switch to St James’ Park — is believed that Newcastle will have spent their net transfer budget for this summer. They would then be relying on player sales to generate further income, because of the constraints of Financial Fair Play (FFP).

7 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Still reckon ASM is getting sold :lol:

If everyone is fit we'll have ASM, Gordon and Barnes vying for one position.

And Joelinton and Isak when we want to get both him and Wilson on the field together.  We need a RW. 

32 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

The Leicester winger is Eddie Howe’s primary target, after the arrival of midfielder Sandro Tonali for £55 million from AC Milan. If the move for Barnes is concluded — and the player is said to be keen on a switch to St James’ Park — is believed that Newcastle will have spent their net transfer budget for this summer. They would then be relying on player sales to generate further income, because of the constraints of Financial Fair Play (FFP).

If that's true then I'm firmly off the fence and into the sell Maxi camp. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m a big fan of Barnes and think he would be a good signing, I would find it a bit odd if we did use the remaining of our budget on him though. Especially with far more pressing needs.

That’s why we won’t do that. 

I don’t believe our budget is anywhere near as small as people think. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, rebelrouser said:

And Joelinton and Isak when we want to get both him and Wilson on the field together.  We need a RW. 

Think we’ll be resting isak or Wilson most games with us only having two strikers.

Edited by Gawalls

22 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That’s why we won’t do that. 

I don’t believe our budget is anywhere near as small as people think. 

I'm with you, we've somehow managed to con everyone into believing we're much more hamstrung than we actually are. I much prefer it this way tbh.

While I agree we have more pressing positional needs than left wing it's worth acknowledging that signing a player in one position does free up others elsewhere. It makes Joelinton a more regular option in midfield, it pushes Isak towards centre forward, probably pushes Gordon across to the right. Hell it might even mean Maxi could play on the right instead. When you have an adaptable squad and manager you can add strength and depth without becoming fixated on very specific positions.

All that being said - I still think if Barnes comes in it would mean ASM would go. Which would effectively fund defensive reinforcements.

6 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Isak absolutely has to start every league match he’s fit. 

Whilst I agree with this - if isak gets burned out mid season and Wilson picks up his annual injury then we’re fucked.  We have a lot of games coming at us next season, rather than barnes we really could have done with another striker.

Edited by Gawalls