Harvey Barnes

khay

The very best of both Barnes and Gordon will always be with Isak playing.

Been very impressed with how well Barnes keeps the ball and plays with his head up.

Both he and Gordon are great at looking for quick combinations to open teams up, which we needed today, but bit it's not Wilson's strength.

The perfect setup today would have been slotting in Isak behind Wilson for one of Anderson or Longstaff.

Isak could then have linked with Barnes and Gordon, while Wilson occupied their CBs.

Hope we see that sort of lineup at times when these teams pack their box and play 3 centre backs.

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm not convinced by him yet. He's much better when games open up a bit though.

Agree with this though, not sure he's the answer when we're facing 10 men behind the ball. That would be where Maddison would have been perfect

He looked hesitant the first 15-20. Not committing to challenges, which we know Howe expects across the board. Not really looking to run in behind or take his man on. 

He was getting better and better, mind. Was arguably our best player for a spell before he came off. Once we got more space, he started looking dangerous. I don’t think there were many standout performers. But he was one of our better players tonight. 

I quite liked the balance of Gordon on the right with him left. They’ll get far more space against teams that don’t drop 5 so deep like that and when we have the lead in games. 

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Would benefit massively with an overlapping left back to play one two’s with. Lewis Hall can’t claim a place quick enough for me.

I agree he's stifled well anyone playing left wing is. He thrives on one twos and burn doesn't look for them. 

Just now, andycap said:

I agree he's stifled well anyone playing left wing is. He thrives on one twos and burn doesn't look for them. 

Yeah it’s a clear and obvious upgrade in the starting 11, haven’t seen enough of Hall to judge him defensively but looks a good footballer from little bits I have.

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

He looked hesitant the first 15-20. Not committing to challenges, which we know Howe expects across the board. Not really looking to run in behind or take his man on. 

He was getting better and better, mind. Was arguably our best player for a spell before he came off. Once we got more space, he started looking dangerous. I don’t think there were many standout performers. But he was one of our better players tonight. 

I quite liked the balance of Gordon on the right with him left. They’ll get far more space against teams that don’t drop 5 so deep like that and when we have the lead in games. 

Barnes was probably our best player today.

1 minute ago, Holloway said:

Some nice whipped deliveries,grew into the game. A little predictable imo

Like others have said with an overlapping full back and a striker that links play, his full repertoire will really be shown.

Really like him though. Still a threat and plays an intelligent game.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Tactically I didn’t like how wide our wingers were. They did some decent work there at times. 

But Barnes always struck me as the type of player you try and get to his main spots so he can have 3-4 shots a game. Did he have a shot all game?

Don't recall us shooting much as a team period. Just the speculative one from Schar.

Brentford were ready to ugly up the game and shut all that down.

Wilson was great, but could have really done with Isak dropping into space to link with the wide men.

Hope Howe considers pairing them against these sort of setups.

Edited by KaKa

11 minutes ago, Krabbe2 said:

For me, he is a good player to have in the squad, but he is unlikely to take us to the next level.

Wouldn’t judge until he has a left back behind that he can benefit more from 

2 minutes ago, Paulinho said:

Good player but the forum scouts had it right with Diaby.

I think Barnes is a decent player, doesn’t excite me if I’m honest though and certainly isn’t going to elevate us to next level.

When compared to the likes of Diaby and Doku it looks a very safe signing and based purely on the style of football Howe wants to play, which is undoubtedly why St Max was sacrificed in my opinion.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Don't recall us shooting much as a team period. Just the speculative one from Schar.

Wilson was great, but could have really done with Isak dropping into space to link with the wide men.

Same. They played a half together against Brentford at their place last season and took their defence to the  cleaners. They couldn’t live with them. 

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

Same. They played a half together against Brentford at their place last season and took their defence to the  cleaners. They couldn’t live with them. 

Good memory. They did play together against them and looked good, yes. Think it makes sense when we go up against 3 CBs. Hope we do more of that.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think there's certain games where we could see Bruno and Tonali as a pair, Gordon, Isak and Barnes in front of them with Wilson up top. Maybe not Brentford, but the next two league games are ones we'd draw last season. Would love to see it.