Harvey Barnes

khay

I think he’s the answer to the RW issue currently (well that and switching sides with Gordon) until we get someone else in. Hes a natural goal scorer and I hope he gets a proper run on the team. He showed with that assist for Gordon’s goal that he can creat too. Sure he’s not going to beat a man like Gordon but we don’t really have that many who can pull something out of their arse and win a game and he’s one of the few players we have who can bang one in from outside the box. I think Tonali will add that shot threat from the edge of the box too but Barnes needs to be in the team for goals.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

3 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think he’s the answer to the RW issue currently (well that and switching sides with Gordon) until we get someone else in. Hes a natural goal scorer and I hope he gets a proper run on the team. He showed with that assist for Gordon’s goal that he can creat too. Sure he’s not going to beat a man like Gordon but we don’t really have that many who can pull something out of their arse and win a game and he’s one of the few players we have who can bang one in from outside the box. I think Tonali will add that shot threat from the edge of the box too but Barnes needs to be in the team for goals.

Hope you’re right but I’m not sure he can score from the right

4 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

That’s a fair point to be fair but surely he’s the best option vs Almiron and Murphy. 

To add to it as well - only seen it a couple of times but I much prefer miggy on the left as well.

1 hour ago, Zero said:

Before the goal he nearly scored a screamer. Had it go in it must be goal of the week.

I was certain that was heading in when he hit it :lol: 

1 hour ago, Zero said:

Before the goal he nearly scored a screamer. Had it go in it must be goal of the week.

I was certain that was heading in when he hit it :lol: 

He shoots

He scores

Pulls arrows from his drawers (me nana used to me kegs drawers)

Harvey Barnes

Harvey Barnes

Might hurt keeping the arrows down there like but couldn't fit out else in that rhymed

Edited by jack j

2 hours ago, Gawalls said:

Hope you’re right but I’m not sure he can score from the right

He's probably the best striker of the ball at the club, and hits it with both his right and left foot. He also has the curled finish and the laces finish in his repertoire.

Most wingers coming up in their youth likely played both sides as part of their development. It's not a magical conundrum that would suddenly dumbfound them and render all their abilities moot, when they switch sides.

Against Forest he did really well on the right and actually had a couple of attempts from there that he should have scored from, one in particular that he just snatched at a bit.

Really underrated player this guy is, and I'm not certain Gordon will do better than him on that right side. For the meantime we ought to switch them at points, like we did during the Forest game, so we can know for sure what combination is best for the team.

it's mad how efficient he is like. It's 6 goals and 4 assists in 916 minutes / 10.2 90s in the league for us since he joined.  If he can maintain a goal or assist every 90 minutes it's surely worth getting him in the team. 

Having said that Murphy is also really efficient tbf. 3 goals and 8 assists in 1305 minutes / 14.5 90s since the start of last season. 

1 hour ago, jack j said:

He shoots

He scores

Pulls arrows from his drawers (me nana used to me kegs drawers)

Harvey Barnes

Harvey Barnes

Might hurt keeping the arrows down there like but couldn't fit out else in that rhymed

He shoots

He scores

goals that hide his flaws.

Harvey Barnes

Harvey Barnes

Just kidding of course. Very important player and seems up for it this season. 

Odd player really, I don't know if he's really a winger, he feels more like a striker but he's not going to hold up play, and he's quick but not lightning quick. He's not super skillful to get past players either, he's just smart in getting into right place right time like an old fashioned poacher. I do think back in the days of 4-4-2 he would be upfront alongside a big man who would take it down for him. Anyway really excited if he keeps playing like this does ease my concerns on our sharpness this season.

He's not the best footballer but always looks like he'll win you games. Was unlucky with that shot in the first half where he cut in and just didn't quite get enough bend on it too. 

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

Odd player really, I don't know if he's really a winger, he feels more like a striker but he's not going to hold up play, and he's quick but not lightning quick. He's not super skillful to get past players either, he's just smart in getting into right place right time like an old fashioned poacher. I do think back in the days of 4-4-2 he would be upfront alongside a big man who would take it down for him. Anyway really excited if he keeps playing like this does ease my concerns on our sharpness this season.

Agreed.  

For me he has to play LW. His best attribute is his ball striking and finishing. Coming off the left gives him the best angles for finishing and final balls. 

His general finishing is good. But he’s not like a Wilson or even a Gordon where he’s going to be in the right spot at the right time and he doesn’t have tremendous box movement. Instead most of his opportunities come from getting to certain ‘spots’ and shooting.  So for me - he has to play on the left to get to those shooting spots that give him the best angles. He’s automatic with it - you can tell he’s drilled those 4-5 finishes time and again.  That doesn’t translate to the right.  

Last season Gordon started to develop those ‘spots’ and finished but he has more to his overall game that’s applicable at RW. That tenacity.  Drawing fouls etc.  

Edit: Rich will probably perma-ban me at some point. Take good care of yourselves people. 

Edited by The College Dropout

I think your doing him a disservice like. 

He's a technically sound winger with good pace and a great eye for a pass, he also seems to know what he wants to do when he gets the ball and is very direct with it. with him been strong on both feet the defender cannot simply show him one way that's what I like about him. 

40 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed.  

For me he has to play LW. His best attribute is his ball striking and finishing. Coming off the left gives him the best angles for finishing and final balls. 

His general finishing is good. But he’s not like a Wilson or even a Gordon where he’s going to be in the right spot at the right time and he doesn’t have tremendous box movement. Instead most of his opportunities come from getting to certain ‘spots’ and shooting.  So for me - he has to play on the left to get to those shooting spots that give him the best angles. He’s automatic with it - you can tell he’s drilled those 4-5 finishes time and again.  That doesn’t translate to the right.  

Last season Gordon started to develop those ‘spots’ and finished but he has more to his overall game that’s applicable at RW. That tenacity.  Drawing fouls etc.  

Edit: Rich will probably perma-ban me at some point. Take good care of yourselves people. 

Me Me Me Actors GIF by PBS SoCal

On 01/04/2024 at 15:38, HawK said:

I'm not sure about Gordon through the middle to be honest. I do want to see him right wing with Barnes on the left, though.

Better late than never Mr Howe, appreciate you taking my suggestion on.

;)

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed.  

You’ve had a bit of agenda against him since we signed him. This is actually the most praise you’ve given Barnes. [emoji38]

My one argument against your criticism or observation is that he’s just as good as Wilson and Gordon at being in scoring positions and has more assists to his game than anyone bar Gordon, who played a sumptuous back heel to Murphy yesterday for his chance.

You take good care as well, TCD. [emoji38]

The best thing I like about him is how direct he is..either he is going to have pop at goal or he is going to move forward with the ball. He isn't going to dilly dally with the ball or going to take it sideways.