Harvey Barnes

khay

2 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Personally I get more excited when the ball hits the back of the net than when a player does a skill around another.

Not to mention potentially getting a win/3 points that puts us further up the table or towards a cup final. 

I’ve seen the ASM performance v Man City mentioned when he was outstanding but how often have we seen that from him, if Maxi could reach that level in the majority of games he would be one of the best in the league but can any of us hand on heart see him operating at that level consistently. I really hope we keep him and sign Barnes, we need a deeper squad and better options, I think Barnes output over the past few years has been good and certainly adds depth to the squad.

ASM another Sissoko :lol:

REgardless of a decent goalscoring return (6 in 32 the previous season btw) he's not good enough for a team wanting to consistently finish in the top 4 imo.

Neither is Gordon  either for what its worth but he might develop more.

36 minutes ago, duo said:

Barnes has way more goals 

He said ASM doesn’t contribute in assists. :dontknow:

Think I’ve said all I’ve got on this topic and if there are people who compare watching ASM play to pulling your teeth, I don’t really know what to even say to them. :lol: Probably the same people that booed HBA and Robert due to lack of grit.

Edited by Pata

ASM and Sissoko are about as different as you can get. One is all out attacking flair and dribbling. While the other was an appalling dribbler even though he was physically strong on the ball and a great athlete so he could carry well without ever beating someone with skill. Sissoko’s main attribute was linking play, something which ASM struggles with. I’d take ASM every single day over a Sissoko  

5 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

ASM another Sissoko :lol:

REgardless of a decent goalscoring return (6 in 32 the previous season btw) he's not good enough for a team wanting to consistently finish in the top 4 imo.

Neither is Gordon  either for what its worth but he might develop more.

Neither is ASM 

Just now, Yorkie said:

If Barnes' strength is the give-and-go then he should score a shitload for us.

We might be able to to have that triangle of passes and in behind ball on both sides now.

Be difficult for the opposition to cheat and overload the right hand side on Trippier/Bruno/Miggy (insert wide man here). When Barnes is miles better at doing it on the opposite side. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It got Miggy scoring. I expect Barnes to post Haaland-like numbers.

18 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I've not seen Barnes have a game like ASM did last year against Man City. I don't think he's a player who can terrorise and unsettle the opposition with the ball. Nor does he have the cuteness to be a low block breaker like Maddison is. That's why I'm slightly concerned at the signing. You've got to look past pure stats output and see what he's going to offer in your team. I'd imagine Howe et al have done that and definitely sees how his game (particularly workrate and off the ball movement) will perhaps compliment our game - he's just not a signing who really excites me.

Don’t think I’ve seen ASM have another game like he did against Man City last year. I’d love to believe that a healthy ASM can be that player, but the realist in me says that it’s not at all likely. When posters point out that Barnes had more goals last season than ASM has had in his NUFC career that’s a bit hard to argue with.  (If we can afford to keep him with FFP, I’d love to keep ASM. If he has something to prove, he could well be an absolute terror)

His stats standing up next to the likes of Rashford in a far poorer team is impressive like. I'm still really unsure about this one but that's made me feel quite a bit better about it.

Guest reefatoon
10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Give and goes are exactly how we have worked it on the right hand side. Almiron does it consistently and look at the rewards.

I know I’ve contributed to it somewhat, but the ASM/Barnes debate is a bit odd. Different in-game circumstances are going to require different abilities. There’s a place for both of them in the squad. Why don’t we all just chill the fuck out?

Just now, christ said:

I know I’ve contributed to it somewhat, but the ASM/Barnes debate is a bit odd. Different in-game circumstances are going to require different abilities. There’s a place for both of them in the squad. Why don’t we all just chill the fuck out?

Really hope that’s the case, think many are concerned we are selling ASM due to this.

The problem with ASM is that he really is not a team player. If he would have better decision making, he would cost 100 million and would play in Real. I mean, he wants the ball played in his feet, does not make runs behind, does not play one-twos etc. He is essentially a dribbler. I love the man, but understand completely why he is not in Eddie's plans. 

Our left side will never work like the right worked last season with ASM there. Of course we can pull the opposition to our right with overload (and most likely will next year also) and then switch play to get ASM 1v1. He just is not a player for passing combinations and pressing game. I mean, does he ever make a run behind the defender?

We should upgrade both sides, but RW should be first.

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

Really hope that’s the case, think many are concerned we are selling ASM due to this.

No point getting worked up about something which might happen. Even if we do sell him, you can guarantee we’ll get the best possible deal and it’ll be reinvested.

16 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

He's going to cut inside and either shoot or play a give and go with Isak. It's going to be hard to stop.