Harvey Barnes

khay

43 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Don't recall us shooting much as a team period. Just the speculative one from Schar.

Brentford were ready to ugly up the game and shut all that down.

Wilson was great, but could have really done with Isak dropping into space to link with the wide men.

Hope Howe considers pairing them against these sort of setups.

Agree with that. I was kinda hoping we would go 4231 Isak on for Anderson. Hall on for Burn. 

44 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think Barnes is a decent player, doesn’t excite me if I’m honest though and certainly isn’t going to elevate us to next level.

When compared to the likes of Diaby and Doku it looks a very safe signing and based purely on the style of football Howe wants to play, which is undoubtedly why St Max was sacrificed in my opinion.

I don’t think Barnes is totally a Howe style player. I don’t think his work off the ball is particularly impressive defensively. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t think Barnes is totally a Howe style player. I don’t think his work off the ball is particularly impressive defensively. 

I thought the same, but he was getting back and supporting well today I though, was a few times he won the ball back in the defensive third.

Very much hope we see plenty of him and Gordon in those positions. The latter, in particular, has the pace, wriggliness and the neat footwork to settle on either wing imo, and I rated Barnes' ball-carrying today.

If they both start building connections with teammates it could be quite saucy; there's a lot of talent there.

Carried it well today at times, particularly second half. Didn't seem to do much first half despite him being on the touchline near where I was sat.

Solid showing for the sort of game it was although would expect more to come.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Like others have said with an overlapping full back and a striker that links play, his full repertoire will really be shown.

Really like him though. Still a threat and plays an intelligent game.

Yeah I thought he seemed a bit nervous in the first half, not surprising considering his side comprised Anderson and Burn so would have been hard to gel right off the bat, but Barnes did better and better as the game went on.

he will be more useful in Europe and the league when we’re playing against the bigger teams imo. Definitely feels more of a transition/counter attacking player rather than someone who’s going to breakdown a 5 man Brentford defence.

13 minutes ago, Smal said:

he will be more useful in Europe and the league when we’re playing against the bigger teams imo. Definitely feels more of a transition/counter attacking player rather than someone who’s going to breakdown a 5 man Brentford defence.

From the clips I'd seem prior to his signing, my interpretation was relatively the opposite in that he'd be more effect against the low block due to his tendency to play one-two passes and make direct runs into the box, something I feel would be more successful than a player that tries to dribble through the opposition, as they'll be overcome by the numbers.

ASM, for example, sadly isn't overly suited to the play style of a team such as ours that likes to sit a lot higher up the pitch, and therefore has significantly less space in front of them to exploit.

Barnes needs to get to know his team mates to build an understanding, after which I think he'll be very productive.

Going to be a big miss on Wednesday. You would imagine he would have rotated with Gordon for the cup game, but Gordon ran himself into the ground for 100 mins today.

I suppose you could start Isak wide left, but that would mean Wilson starting again up front. I guess both Gordon and Wilson could just recuperate until the cup game, forget the rotation on this occasion.

Shit he got injured. As we really need him to start finding his way in this team. But Gordon showed him what is needed from that position. 

All action. End product was good. Direct, assists, goals. Harsh to say a blessing in disguise. But it was. 

Gordon has been our best player this season.