Harvey Barnes

khay

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'm sure Howe is as aware of those stats as everyone else. I haven't played football simulation games for years so I am very much out of the loop, but I guess he sees something else which he reckons he can work with. Like I said, he looks the type who likes to release the ball quickly if there's a quick pass on, looks an intelligent footballer to me regardless of the stats.

Based on what?

Head down, run and shoot. 

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

image.thumb.png.21bd037b969c79ca4b044b645f0239dd.png 

image.thumb.png.c616db974313e4fc2d633b5ce76ee6f7.png

To paint a fuller picture. Barnes doesn’t get on the ball much in general.  From the stats you can see why he is accused of going missing. When he does get on the ball he’s giving it away a lot and he’s not even attempting progressive passes while doing so. And he’s lazy to boot. 

Bur he gets into good positions and is an excellent finisher off both feet (and good in the air apparently). 

HES NOT A GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER. BUT HES A GOALSCORER. 

The idea that he’s coming to sit on the bench is fanciful imo. 

Howe has signed 2 wingers. Both quick and direct. This is what he wants atleast. 

Always worth looking at the numbers on fbref by individual seasons, using the scouting report tab.

Last season wasn't great for Leicester in general. Here are his numbers from the 2021-2022 season and the 2020-2021 season, which look a lot better,

image.thumb.png.8a2a39e649b3ab874a18d9567085ee23.png

image.thumb.png.a3af42bed394779183d0bcd1688f7a6b.png

30 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

image.thumb.png.21bd037b969c79ca4b044b645f0239dd.png 

image.thumb.png.c616db974313e4fc2d633b5ce76ee6f7.png

To paint a fuller picture. Barnes doesn’t get on the ball much in general.  From the stats you can see why he is accused of going missing. When he does get on the ball he’s giving it away a lot and he’s not even attempting progressive passes while doing so. And he’s lazy to boot. 

Bur he gets into good positions and is an excellent finisher off both feet (and good in the air apparently). 

HES NOT A GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER. BUT HES A GOALSCORER. 

The idea that he’s coming to sit on the bench is fanciful imo. 

Howe has signed 2 wingers. Both quick and direct. This is what he wants atleast. 

None of those stats correlate to anything I’ve seen of him. He always seems dangerous and heavily involved in the game. I watched a lot of a Leicester towards the end of the season and he was always one of the few to put a real shift in ?‍♂️

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Always worth looking at the numbers on fbref by individual seasons, using the scouting report tab.

Last season wasn't great for Leicester in general. Here are his numbers from the 2021-2022 season and the 2020-2021 season, which look a lot better,

image.thumb.png.8a2a39e649b3ab874a18d9567085ee23.png

image.thumb.png.a3af42bed394779183d0bcd1688f7a6b.png

True. But with Barnes in particular... the trends are consistent even if he’s better/worse. 

Finishing is consistently excellent 

Xg, getting the ball in attacking areas and progressive carries good to great. Aerial duals good. 

Expected assists, passing both in terms of creativity, progression and accuracy, shot creation, beating a man, average to poor. Leicester must have some great finishers, he always exceeds expected assists.  

1 minute ago, KievKev said:

I'm not a huge fan of this. Gordon and Barnes in a front three is pretty nightmareish in any game that requires guile or creativity or intelligence on the ball. 

kev man. Relax. If it works out then great. If it doesn’t we’ll sign someone better and go again. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

True. But with Barnes in particular... the trends are consistent even if he’s better/worse. 

Finishing is consistently excellent 

Xg, getting the ball in attacking areas and progressive carries good to great. Aerial duals good. 

Expected assists, passing both in terms of creativity, progression and accuracy, shot creation, beating a man, average to poor. Leicester must have some great finishers, he always exceeds expected assists.  

It'll be interesting. Think there is still room for growth with him, which is good.

I do really appreciate his ability to get into dangerous positions and to actually finish. The number of times we were so wasteful in the final third last season was frustrating, so that will be a huge addition. I think by getting into such dangerous positions he also ends up picking up a lot of assists by virtue of that too.

As it stands, in terms of creativity we have ASM who is an outstanding dribbler if not an outstanding passer / chance creator. We have Bruno who is an elite passer, especially along the ground with through balls. Trippier and Tonali are both excellent at crossing and lofted balls. I’d say if we were to lose ASM then we’d be sorely a dribbler in the side. Willock is an amazing ball carrier but not dribbler. Gordon isn’t a dribbler so we do need either ASM or someone with that quality as we can’t just rely on Isak to do it as we need him scoring goals 

1 minute ago, KievKev said:

I'm not a huge fan of this. Gordon and Barnes in a front three is pretty nightmareish in any game that requires guile or creativity or intelligence on the ball. 

I’ve still got high hopes for Gordon due to his age and there’s definitely something there.

I just find Barnes a tad disappointing though on the back of that transfer, and not sure if Howe has a blind spot when it comes to wanting homegrown players

But everything he’s touched has turned to gold so far, long may that continue and hope he weaves his magic with Barnes.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It'll be interesting. Think there is still room for growth with him, which is good.

I do really appreciate his ability to get into dangerous positions and to actually finish. The number of times we were so wasteful in the final third last season was frustrating, so that will be a huge addition. I think by getting into such dangerous positions he also ends up picking up a lot of assists by virtue of that too.

Aye and potentially he could score 15–20 with us which would override issues he has with his overall game.  

Edited by The College Dropout

There was a narrative forming around Maddison about not fully judging him in a downtrodden relegated side - “he’d be back to his best, etc.” For some reason Barnes isn’t being afforded the same. He’s also being criticized for various deficiencies, while glossing over his output in the most important stat. I’d hope at this point most would be confident that we know his weaknesses, we know where we think he can improve, and we know how he improves the team.

Also, you can’t call it a like for like sideways swap with ASM (if we do sell him) without acknowledging that that swap could essentially pay for another player.

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

As it stands, in terms of creativity we have ASM who is an outstanding dribbler if not an outstanding passer / chance creator. We have Bruno who is an elite passer, especially along the ground with through balls. Trippier and Tonali are both excellent at crossing and lofted balls. I’d say if we were to lose ASM then we’d be sorely a dribbler in the side. Willock is an amazing ball carrier but not dribbler. Gordon isn’t a dribbler so we do need either ASM or someone with that quality as we can’t just rely on Isak to do it as we need him scoring goals 

I really wish we would play ASM on the right as he is just as devastating on that side, and his career numbers show he is actually more productive there.

I think it is probably because on the left he looks to cut in and shoot more and his shooting is quite erratic. Playing him on the right forces him to be more of a creator as he looks to cross the ball more on his stronger right foot, and his crossing is pretty decent from that position.

The only issue is that we can't really play him on the right with Trippier, as Trippier needs more protection from the wide man ahead of him, but maybe in such scenarios we can play Joelinton as the right sided 8 and have him cover Trippier instead.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Got to remember our journos will be told nothing until it's a formality.

The noise from the Leicester end makes it sound like it'll be done and dusted by the end of next week.

Whilst I agree, how hard is it for our journos to ring up their journos? All seems weird.