Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

52 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Villa are a good side but fancy us at home, we’ll win this 

If we do, it’ll be hard fought and a well earned victory. They are a good side. I don’t see us losing, but a draw seems most likely. That said, if we win (even by the odd scrappy goal) it would be a fantastic marker for the season ahead.

Beating as many of the likely top six at home will make all the difference to where we finish in the top 8. Can’t see lower than than, personally. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I always assumed most managers give their strongest team (or atleast the one most likely to start together) a runout near the end of pre season. We don’t seem to have done that. 

Surprises me too. That said, maybe they’ve had some consistent time playing together in training, not the same as live games, but maybe he/they think that is enough.

Assuming, of course, he knows his starting 11. personally I would have loved to see more of Tonali and Bruno working things out together; really important if they are going to play as fluidly, in terms of interchangeable positions,  as I suspect they will. 

We've only signed 2 players [emoji38] and one of them, Barnes, is incredibly unlikely to start. If the rest don't have a decent chemistry after last season, I'm not sure one friendly is going to change things.

Howe is keeping his cards close to his chest for 2 reasons:

1. It motivates the players

2. It gives Villa something to think about.

2 hours ago, STM said:

We've only signed 2 players [emoji38] and one of them, Barnes, is incredibly unlikely to start. If the rest don't have a decent chemistry after last season, I'm not sure one friendly is going to change things.

Howe is keeping his cards close to his chest for 2 reasons:

1. It motivates the players

2. It gives Villa something to think about.

This

7 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Howe did the same last season as well, never played a full strength side in pre season 

Didn't we have one or two behind closed doors games as well. Hartlepool rings a bell.

17 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Howe did the same last season as well, never played a full strength side in pre season 

Craig Hope made a good point about Eddie playing "units" rather than full-strength sides. He speculated that Gordon, Isak & Miggy who played yesterday are the most likely front 3 vs Villa. A midfield 3 of Bruno, Longstaff and Joelinton will be the starting midfield next week. It seems plausible to me.

2 hours ago, Nepharite said:

Craig Hope made a good point about Eddie playing "units" rather than full-strength sides. He speculated that Gordon, Isak & Miggy who played yesterday are the most likely front 3 vs Villa. A midfield 3 of Bruno, Longstaff and Joelinton will be the starting midfield next week. It seems plausible to me.

I think he will ease the new signings in like he did with Bruno etc. Keeps team harmony good. I expect this team:

Pope

Trippier bots schar targett

Longs Bruno Joel

Might isak gordon

Schar will play. He just loves making a fuss. [emoji38]

Gordon will get the nod but Barnes is one hell of a sub.

It's that RCM slot that's interesting. I'm now swaying towards Tonali.

1 minute ago, Lish007 said:

Gordon will get the nod but Barnes will come on for 30 mins if we are chasing the game. 

Nice options to have!! 

Theres a good chance he'd come on regardless, we will sub at least 3 of our forward 6. It's how we maintain our intensity

Midfield 3 on performances should be Bruno, Joel and Miley or Anderson. Obviously Miley won't get the nod, so between Tonali and Longstaff and Anderson. Reckon Anderson as a surprise-ish pick to make up the three.

Edited by Bimpy474

I'd be surprised if Tonali starts, I think he needs more time to adjust to the pace and system. Much like Bruno was given at the start of his journey.

Also feel it takes Longstaff a bit to get into the swing, at times today he was very sloppy and a bit off the pace similar to how he lloked when he came back last season, was that following an injury too?

I'd go with Anderson but not 100% certain with him staying more right of centre, that said Joelinton can interchange with him easily enough.

In Eddie we trust 'cos I know fuck all really.

Edited by Irish Magpie