Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

10 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

He's definitely not quick, now I realise it's coming from Hayden who's a slug, that explains it.

He was probably bantering his team mate considering he's put him against two of the quickest players at the club at the time.

On a serious note, I like Lascelles always have, one of Rafas disciples, golden in the championship, only thing was he seemed to regress, and looking at him now, movement is probably his weakness.

Villa's pace on the break will leave Lascelles in the dirt if he ventures up to the halfway line.

I bet he bloody loved that banter! https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2021/05/04/surprise-nufc-start-clocked-the-4th-fastest-player-in-the-premier-league-this-season/

He definitely is our quickest CB and isn't a slouch once going.

Is Longstaff doubtful? I think he plays if fit/ready. I wouldn't move Burn and play Targett in the same game against a probably very good opponent. Keep Burn LB and bring in Lascelles is one fewer change.

Its SJP and I expect a far different game to what happened at Villa Park. We'll still need an emphasis on solidity, so Bruno Joelinton Longstaff midfield (no Anderson) and Almiron Isak and probably Gordon front three. Gordon played at Villa Park but looks a completely different player now. Howe likes Wilson, so he may get the nod. If neither starts, Barnes and Wilson would be the most two-player fret we've had on the bench in donkey's years. Liverpool/Man City level.

48 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I bet he bloody loved that banter! https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2021/05/04/surprise-nufc-start-clocked-the-4th-fastest-player-in-the-premier-league-this-season/

He definitely is our quickest CB and isn't a slouch once going.

If he starts Saturday evening I'll review his pace [emoji38]

I'm looking at can he keep up with Diaby, Buendia, Watkins, Ramsey,

from his halfway line to his box.

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

He's only been with us for about 8 years, man [emoji38] Maybe it's repressed memories from the Ashley era but I can never remember Lascelles getting done for pace (well, at least nothing like we've seen Schar or Botman struggle with although they've been left a lot more exposed than previous systems). Usually mistakes from him have been related to lack of concentration or agility.

3 hours ago, AJ9 said:

Schar being doubtful and potentially Lascelles starting swings this in their favour I think. The lack of Schar’s long range bombs over their high line will be a huge miss.

You mean like the one Lascelles played over Villa’s high line that lead to our third goal? 🙂 Get your point though 👍🏻

20 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Was Lascelles playing when we got drubbed 3-0 Villa at their place last season? Because most of those players mentioned burned our defenders in exactly those situations.

Just saying, not many of our defenders are great defending a high line.

32 minutes ago, TRon said:

Was Lascelles playing when we got drubbed 3-0 Villa at their place last season? Because most of those players mentioned burned our defenders in exactly those situations.

Just saying, not many of our defenders are great defending a high line.

Aye, no Lacelles. Remember Schar and Trippier having a mare that day. 

41 minutes ago, madras said:

Did Villa play that high a line in other games this pre-season ?

Watched all their highlights but hard to tell from them. Seemed to be a thing though as commentators mentioned it at one point in one of the games. Not that it counts for anything but like us they look to of had a very positive pre-season. Brentford seemed to cause them the most problems alongside ourselves to a lesser extent.

1 hour ago, OptimusSlime said:

I expect:-

Pope

Schar (hopeful perhaps)

Botman

Trippier

Burn

Bruno

Joelinton

Longstaff

Almiron

Barnes

Isak

Tonali, Gordon and Wilson to get decent minutes off the bench.

Gordon’s starting, Shirley?

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Gonna be an absolute dogfight. Villa will end up being that team we always struggle against, imo. 2-2

I think it’ll be 2-2 or 3-3 and an amazing game between two really good sides. I have no problem with them finishing a point below us this season.

2 hours ago, OptimusSlime said:

I expect:-

Pope

Schar (hopeful perhaps)

Botman

Trippier

Burn

Bruno

Joelinton

Longstaff

Almiron

Barnes

Isak

Tonali, Gordon and Wilson to get decent minutes off the bench.

Martinez

Digne

Mings

Konsa

Cash

Kamara

Luiz

McGinn

Tielemans

Diaby

Watkins

I've changed my mind since last week.

This looks a shoe in on the unders market. Both teams tend to keep it tight at the back and I can see us being a bit cagey after Villa played our press so well at their place.

A clash of styles, but I don't think there will be much in it between two even looking sides. We seem to have that much extra in the tank at home under the lights, so I'm going for a gritty, nail biting 1-0.

42 minutes ago, brummie said:

Martinez

Digne

Mings

Konsa

Cash

Kamara

Luiz

McGinn

Tielemans

Diaby

Watkins

I've changed my mind since last week.

I'll be pleased if Buendía is not starting, the guy was very difficult to contain last game we played - albeit a friendly on foreign shores.