Newcastle United 5-1 Aston Villa - 12/08/23

Disco

Absolutely buzzing and see no reason why we can't get top 4 again with this team.

Individual players aside we are so well-drilled. Everyone knows their job to a tee. A very good example for me at how well coached we are was when they countered on one of our first corners. Our fastest player in Anthony Gordon was clearly assigned to deal with it, and caught Diaby. I wasn't too sure about the price of Maxi, but you can see Howe just wants his wingers to be predictable and do exactly what he expects, and thats why we have Barnes and Gordon now instead. Our press will also have a new dimension this season as both sides will be as competitive, Gordon was doing just as much as Almiron, if not more.

I also think the team that started is going to be the strongest for most of the season. Thought Gordon was a slight notch above Barnes in presence, and i absolutely love having Barnes coming on for the last minutes with his finishing. Being able to swap out our front 5 at 60-80 minutes to just re-ignite this press for 90 minutes is going to be invaluable.

Thought Trippier and Gordon were the best players today, with a special mention to Isaks quality even though he made some poor decisions, he still managed 2 fantastic goals.

For the negatives obviously Bruno seemed a bit slack, might he have had a bit too slack a summer with getting married and all compared to the rest of them? Also thought Wilson made some poor decisions, wanting to beat Isaks scoring tally.

Also our discipline, we got 3 yellows today that should have been avoided. The other team were dirtier by far and the ref was crap, but we ended up on about the same amount? That being said if we had had the Brighton Luton ref today Villa would have got about 10 cards? :lol:

Last point, co-commentator is annoying!

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Absolutely bursting with pride. 

let’s lay off @brummiequality poster who I don’t recall being anything other than classy when they did us last season. 

@brummieand even @Froggyare sound, like. Been on here for ages and good value for money when commenting on their clubs too. But the emotion of such a win will always bring out the bad bantz. 

On that note, @Milanista, your boy Tonali is fucking mint!

5 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Noticed shit loads of empty seats at kick off, people not gonna be happy with that like, what went wrong?

Nothing massive I could see but the turnstiles didn’t seem to hugely responsive to the scanner or that the people letting you through weren’t doing it properly, it was incredibly slow. Not like it was all old lads or people with kids either, just regular matchgoers for the most part.

Just now, Disco said:

Nothing massive I could see but the turnstiles didn’t seem to hugely responsive to the scanner or that the people letting you through weren’t doing it properly, it was incredibly slow. Not like it was all old lads or people with kids either, just regular matchgoers for the most part.

My NFC wireless bit didn't work so had to turn it off and use the barcode instead. 

Should be quicker in future when folk get used to it.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I'll explain myself in this just once.

This is the Premier League. It's more open and it's a lot faster.

He's also getting in a bit now, and has a lot of responsibility in the team going forward. And so he does get exposed defensively as he is not the quickest or strongest.

Almiron and Longstaff were key in supporting him defensively last season. Tonali will need to do a bit more of that too with him coming in on that side.

I'm really glad we bought Livramento too because he will help keep Trippier fresher as he played way too much last season.

We need to protect him as a team and also with some rotation too.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion.

I think he's a good defender personally.

Seriously impressed with us today, we looked a complete unit all over the park AND had genuine quality to bring off the bench. We could have had 9 on another day, Wilson, Isak, Tonali and Joelinton could all have notched on top of what we scored. Looked a little fragile and exposed on a few occasions but got away with it a little. Barnes will have an amazing season and looks like he's been here forever, Tonali slotted into the CM like a pro and coasted through the game making it look easy. Isak, Wilson, Gordon and Joelinton were also outstanding. 

Excellent opening day, off the mark, 5 goals scored and full of confidence. Brilliant start to the season :)

Just now, madras said:

My NFC wireless bit didn't work so had to turn it off and use the barcode instead. 

Should be quicker in future when folk get used to it.

Mine was the same at the friendly last weekend. Obviously didn't take long to swap to the barcode but if that's happening to 10,000 it's going to slow things down

Just now, midds said:

Seriously impressed with us today, we looked a complete unit all over the park AND had genuine quality to bring off the bench. We could have had 9 on another day, Wilson, Isak, Tonali and Joelinton could all have notched on top of what we scored. Looked a little fragile and exposed on a few occasions but got away with it a little. Barnes will have an amazing season and looks like he's been here forever, Tonali slotted into the CM like a pro and coasted through the game making it look easy. Isak, Wilson, Gordon and Joelinton were also outstanding. 

Excellent opening day, off the mark, 5 goals scored and full of confidence. Brilliant start to the season :)

I think we will concede more this season. But we look a team who can score 2 quick goals to completely change a game. We create plenty of chances.

Just now, Mountain said:

Fair enough, I respect your opinion.

I think he's a good defender personally.

That's okay if you feel different.

Probably came across harshly as it was during the heat of the match.

Trippier adds a ton of value to the team and is a great leader, I do worry about him defensively though, especially against dynamic players like we faced today in Villas wide areas, with the right support though I think he'll be fine.

10 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Nice,

happy to go under the radar though and a bit soon to challenge for the title I fancy (by which I mean come April)

I suppose come next week you’ll find out roughly where u stand against them 

but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if u do them 

they’ve got weaker in my opinion, and you’ve become even stronger 

you’re the only other club I bother to watch due to the way you play 

far more entertaining than city in my opinion 

4 minutes ago, pubteam said:

Not sounding good for Ming's 😬

Was right in front of me. Not seen someone in that much agony for a while. Konsa (who was absolutely shite) trying to say Isak elbowed him and telling the fans to fuck off was a highlight.