Newcastle United 5-1 Aston Villa - 12/08/23

Disco

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Just had a skim of Villa's forum, found it interesting how they all think the ref was getting paid off, and giving us every decision under he sun. Where I was thinking the ref was terrible and gave them everything. 

Cognitive dissonance is real I guess :lol:

Can’t remember any decision of note the ref made that was controversial that went against them. Maybe the Luiz penalty claim but that was a half arsed appeal from him and he knew he wasn’t getting it. 

The Wilson goal Barnes looked offside. Shame they don’t show the lines anymore. 

17 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Weird one. On one hand it does feel like the scoreline flattered us, but on the other hand we seriously could have scored at least 3 more

They missed two sitters aswell, could easily have been 7-3.

10 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Weird one. On one hand it does feel like the scoreline flattered us, but on the other hand we seriously could have scored at least 3 more

I don't think it flattered us like. They could have scored 1-2 more but we could have scored 3-4 more and it wouldn't have been a shock. 

8 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Newcastle has the best tools in the league to win over City in a game I think

In fact... as of now I'd argue Newcastle play "the Liverpool way" better than Liverpool themselves

There are some top teams in Europe that won't fancy going to St James' Park

This is the sort of marker I wanted us to lay down. An absolutely impressive showing from Newcastle.

One also had a very good point of tonali is playing well when the suns out but let’s see him play in the winter.

Just a couple of observations, the Lino at the Gallowgate was absolutely woeful the 1st half, seriously bad.

Madley; let Cash kick Gordon all over the place and then eventually booked him for a clear yellow on its own. Villa player on a yellow pulls Newcastle player down by grabbing the back of shirt, no second yellow and Newcastle player booked for simulating a card. And, the most annoying, after yet another pretty cynical foul at the end of the 1st half Madley punishes us by blowing for HT as the free kick is in flight into their box. Really, you winding us up?

2 minutes ago, JackieDoor said:

Eh

It’s not that hard a question to read mate - optimistic managed it, gave a proper response which made me realise I was wrong.

’Eh’ adds nothing as a response

14 hours ago, alexf said:

Slower pace has suited Villa. Not sure if we couldn't keep up the intensity or just recharging to go again. But they couldn't live with the early pace. 

Miggy was super quiet. Didn't touch the ball for 20+ mins and Bruno hasn't looked quite on it. Everyone else playing really well.  

Said this at half time. Looks like they were just tired. Really shocked me how badly villas fitness fell off a cliff in the first game of a new season. You have to say that's bad conditioning, or am I underestimating how fucking machine like our players are? Felt like we backed off the press massively once Mings got injured but then 2nd half their high line allowed us to tear them apart at will. 

Have to say, we fear the pace of other players against us with our defence, but with Miggy, Isak, Gordon, Murphy, Barnes and Willock still to return, we have some serious pace ourselves in attack ?

I'm not sure if the point has been raised....villa have pretty much played their starting 11 preseason but then obviously took their best players off toward the end to give their other players a run out. Howe has pretty much give the whole squad game time so we probably have that all round superior squad fitness. After 65 minutes they looked knackered and probably didn't have the same dynamic options from the bench. The injuries to buendia and Ming's could suggest that Emery has overplayed them pre-season and for me Howe has managed the build up to this game (and the season if you like) better