Manchester City vs. Newcastle United: 19/08/23 @ 20:00 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

7 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

I think we’ll start strong this season but will inevitably fade a bit once the cups and Europe kick in. I’d be chuffed with 3rd. 

"Start strong" for me, given the fixtures would be

Villa (W) 

City (D) 

L'pool (D) 

Brighton (D) 

Brentford (W) 

2 more points than last season for these fixtures. 

Anything else is bonus ball 

I forgot how bad our league record there was!

2022/23 Lost 0-2
2021/22 Lost 0-5
2020/21 Lost 0-2
2019/20 Lost 0-5
2018/19 Lost 1-2 Yedlin
2017/18 Lost 1-3 Murphy
2015/16 Lost 1-6 Mitrovic
2014/15 Lost 0-5
2013/14 Lost 0-4
2012/13 Lost 0-4
2011/12 Lost 1-3 Gosling
2010/11 Lost 1-2 Gutierrez
2008/09 Lost 1-2 Carroll
2007/08 Lost 1-3 Martins
2006/07 Drew 0-0
2005/06 Lost 0-3
2004/05 Drew 1-1 Shearer
2003/04 Lost 0-1

3 hours ago, jack j said:

Just watch the drop off in our away support this year

One area of our support we could still be proud

You'll have people telling you to sit down by Christmas. Genuinely thinking of fucking Saturday off tbh

Proof will be in the pudding. People feared the worse against Villa due to all the new members and random seat selections but it turned out very well atmosphere wise. Admittedly he were ahead most of the game which I appreciate helps.

10 minutes ago, Paully said:

I forgot how bad our league record there was!

2022/23 Lost 0-2
2021/22 Lost 0-5
2020/21 Lost 0-2
2019/20 Lost 0-5
2018/19 Lost 1-2 Yedlin
2017/18 Lost 1-3 Murphy
2015/16 Lost 1-6 Mitrovic
2014/15 Lost 0-5
2013/14 Lost 0-4
2012/13 Lost 0-4
2011/12 Lost 1-3 Gosling
2010/11 Lost 1-2 Gutierrez
2008/09 Lost 1-2 Carroll
2007/08 Lost 1-3 Martins
2006/07 Drew 0-0
2005/06 Lost 0-3
2004/05 Drew 1-1 Shearer
2003/04 Lost 0-1

14 losses in a row, that must be some kind of record? About time we mixed things up.

I'm still expecting us to lose, and concede 3+ in the process. Man City away is probably the toughest assignment in the world at the moment, so getting anything from this game is a bonus. I'm just happy that I know we'll as minimum go there to win and stamp our authority onto the game, and that is a marked difference to the last 15 years.

With them playing in the midweek, De Bruyne out and a non-settled defence we wont find a better time to play them. If we manage to get an early lead I think we should have a good chance keeping it with our strong counterattack. Just dont give Haaland an inch.

Too easy to forget that their line-up absences never mean that much because of the incredible depth of their squad. I want to see us turn up, execute our game plan well and see where it gets us as a barometer of progress. Perhaps I'm being defeatist but I struggle to see any team beating Manchester City at the minute.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Despite how good we are, I’d still be amazed if we get anything from this. These can have an off day, play terrible and still win comfortably. I’ll go 3-0 City, with the game being tight for an hour.

2-1 on my Super6 😳

What I like about this game is that I think we are going to have to miss multiple big chances on goal to actually lose. We will get chances against this City team we just need to limit their chances because they will 100% score there's almost no stopping that but we need to take our chances when they come. Looking at last week I think we'll manage to do that.

2 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

What I like about this game is that I think we are going to have to miss multiple big chances on goal to actually lose. We will get chances against this City team we just need to limit their chances because they will 100% score there's almost no stopping that but we need to take our chances when they come. Looking at last week I think we'll manage to do that.

So we've got to score, while simultaneously not letting them score. Think that plan might work you know!

6 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Without being a silly sausage, I do think this particular City away game is our best chance of a win given the start we've had and their injuries. I am mega excited.

Last year in the home game when we went 3 - 1 up it was that 5 minute spell where City just overloaded us with their quality. B.Silva in particular just massively upped their tempo and passing speed. We are such a better side now, I fancy us to handle the moments City intensify their play much better. 

I’m just hoping it’s a good game and we don’t come off the pitch with any regrets regardless of the result. Win or draw would be great going into Liverpool. If we lose I hope it’s fair and square and not VAR controversy.

3 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Despite how good we are, I’d still be amazed if we get anything from this. These can have an off day, play terrible and still win comfortably. I’ll go 3-0 City, with the game being tight for an hour.

Feels a bit like Villa coming to ours. I don’t think we’ll lose 5-1 but like you say a 3-0 or 3-1 wouldn’t be a surprise