Manchester City vs. Newcastle United: 19/08/23 @ 20:00 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

6 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Did he not say in an interview a while back that he asked SBR to bring him to Newcastle when Bobby took over, but said he already had Gary Speed. Could just be because we are SBR's team in the same way Jose has always spoken well of the support, if not the team.

Aye, in the Sir Bobby documentary Pep says he asked SBR to bring him to NUFC because he dreamt of playing in England. Sir Bobby replied to him with a very personal and beautifully written letter explaining why it wasn’t possible at the moment. Pep almost welled up talking about it. 

17 minutes ago, ShakaHislop said:

Aye, in the Sir Bobby documentary Pep says he asked SBR to bring him to NUFC because he dreamt of playing in England. Sir Bobby replied to him with a very personal and beautifully written letter explaining why it wasn’t possible at the moment. Pep almost welled up talking about it. 

Definitely the SBR effect.

Mourinho also with the Bobby links was always the same too, extremely respectful of SJP and the fans.  You could imagine in different circumstances both would have loved to have managed NUFC.

Wasn’t there some Jose quote, something like ‘And of course we always wait for Newcastle’ I always loved that, and emblematic of the respect he had for us. I don’t care, I still quite like him. 

20 minutes ago, TRon said:

He's just above all that petty stuff IMO. He knows how good he is, and doesn't feel threatened by others. He's obviously got enough belief in himself that he can recognise a club well run, and a manager who deserves respect. The likes of Klopp are frightened at the prospect of competiton because they don't have that level of self assurance.

I dont think he is scared. Its just that over the years City has been a hated outsider. Going above Manu and Liverpool. We are going thorugh many of the things City has experinced over the years. Ownership, money, disrespect fronted by Liverpool and Manu. I get the rivalry, but he has always had to defend City as a club. On the other hand Manu and Liverpool will get all the plaudits when they are winning. 

I do feel my dislike for Man City faded whilst Pep has been in charge. They have managed somehow to make spending oil money blandly inoffensive. Their fan base is also the only one that seems to give us any credit and not get riled up at us for daring to be good now.

Pep is a great competitor and like every great competitor, he is not insecure. He knows he's good and he can value someone else being good as well, and will relish the challenge. I'm sure he enjoys Arteta being at Arsenal. 

Tbh, I'm convinced that he has stayed in the PL this long BECAUSE of the competition. He's probably excited at having another club that can compete on Man City's level eventually and where he can test himself and showcase his talents. I do believe him and Eddie are very similar. 

He left Barcelona because it was a 2 horse race... And he left Bayern because it was a one horse race. 

I've got a feeling he will be around for a while. 

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I do feel my dislike for Man City faded whilst Pep has been in charge. They have managed somehow to make spending oil money blandly inoffensive. Their fan base is also the only one that seems to give us any credit and not get riled up at us for daring to be good now.

I love them like, can’t help myself. The football is incredible. 

TBH I’d probably be going to their matches a few times a season if I’d completely detached from NUFC. 

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Their fan base is also the only one that seems to give us any credit and not get riled up at us for daring to be good now.

I think Pep does the same. I dont have any feelings towards City, but when they are winning you can always feel there is some negativity behind it all from around. If Manu or Liverpool win its full euphoria from the media. 

26 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

I can't remember ever looking forward this much to a game against this lot before.

Guaranteed to end in VAR-induced tears. :lol:

I’m sure city would love VAR to be the reason we beat them, could blame that rather than us being the better team.:bluestar:

3 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

If we have ≥10 points come the first international break we'll be getting talked up as title contenders. :lol: Our run of fixtures interspersed by the CL up to November after the first break are great. 

Can't see us genuinely challenging for the league though. Can't believe I've just typed that sentence seriously, but you need 85-95 points to stand a serious chance and I can't see us getting that many. I can see us improving on last season's total of 71 though.

If we hit 80 pts I'll be balls deep in the next cow to jump over the moon I tell ya.

53 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

We can easily do these. Especially this early in the season. 

Aye, this early and with KdB out and us playing like we did at the weekend, I doubt we'll ever have a better shot at sneaking something. A draw here really sets us up confidence-wise. Then do Liverpool. Oh man, if there was ever a team we owed a beating to, please let it be them.

1 hour ago, mouldy_uk said:

I’d take a Man City loss for a guaranteed 3 points against the bin dippers 

Still feels like we owe them one after we get robbed at Anfield last season. That's the one game I want to win above all others in front of our own crowd.

9 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Liverpool and Brighton are rough fixtures, but I still wouldn't be shocked if we got something from either. I'd be amazed if we got something here.

Nothing would amaze me about this cloob anymore.  Eddie and the ownership have given us our dreams back. It’s half the battle believing you can in the first place. We CANS! 

IMG_7010.thumb.jpeg.dc9c2269b4d8f47ec1e7623dabfaca76.jpeg

Villa missed open goals twice, City won’t. Not getting carried away with our performance (been bathing in it for days mind) but most sides will lose at the Etihad so as long as we give them a game I’ll be happy.