Lewis Hall

Paully

Really happy with this signing as well. Happy with all of them. Our squad looks much better now. 

I sort of wish Hall was a right back and Livramento a left back as that would address our squad needs more with the ages of them, but that's obviously not how it works. We're picking up players high up on our list when they're available and I'm more than happy with that. 

We’re the real deal now. LB was the one position that was glaringly weaker than anywhere else on the pitch. Depending on injuries, I could actually see us finishing top four now despite playing the extra games in Europe 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

We’re the real deal now. LB was the one position that was glaringly weaker than anywhere else on the pitch. Depending on injuries, I could actually see us finishing top four now despite playing the extra games in Europe 

Top 4 !! Saturday's game is a title decider man 

Likely posted already, but, if not, here's a little write up on his playing style from The Athletic. 

Lewis Hall

Club: Chelsea, age: 18

Both Cucurella and Tierney are in Trippier’s mould — players who like to progress the ball through passing — but with Targett already at the club, it may make sense for them to target a ball-carrying full-back.

A Newcastle fan, courtesy of his Geordie father, Hall won Chelsea’s academy player of the season award for 2022-23 while also making nine Premier League appearances for the senior side. Having played both wing-back and centre-back, Hall marries attacking and defensive components, even at a young age (he turns 19 early next month). His pizza chart shows a well-rounded game — although it is a small sample size at just 402 minutes.

He wants to carry and burst forward into the opposition box — in the mould of fellow Chelsea academy product Livramento — with this example against Nottingham Forest from the end of last season a distillation of his potential.

He deals with pressure from Serge Aurier before nutmegging him…

…and then uses his pace to get clear of Joe Worrall, before finding Joao Felix unmarked in the box.

Though the lack of minutes played means his statistics are limited, other anecdotal evidence is equally useful. Hall was excellent in high-profile matches against Manchester United and Manchester City — he should have had assists in each — for example.

He can also be directly compared to team-mate Cucurella.

Playing in the same role, in the reverse fixture against City a week after that Forest game, he deals with Mahrez excellently. Again, the City winger tries to cut inside…

…but rather than diving in, Hall tracks him before making the tackle…

Later, he is put in a difficult position as Kyle Walker drives towards him at speed, while Hall is also tasked with covering Phil Foden in behind him.

He sticks to Foden until the last possible moment, before timing his movement forward perfectly and attempting to tackle Walker. Though the ball still spins away to another City player, his actions nevertheless disrupt their attack.

The composure is evident — but the issue here is availability.

Newcastle had an offer for Hall rejected earlier this window and Crystal Palace are also interested, but Hall is expected to sign a new long-term contract at Stamford Bridge this window. Though he is not a current starter, Chelsea see him as a long-term option at left wing-back, playing outside fellow academy graduate Colwill.

The likelihood of them approving even a loan to a team likely to be direct rivals in the top-four race this season is next to zero.

Could see us playing 3 at the back sometimes with Hall one side and Trips/Livramento other, Tonali and Bruno holding and Isak/Wilson or Gordon in front.

Gives us another option and tactical flexibility maybe, plus he can play a few positions and sell on value pretty high. Looks a good deal even at that price. 

I'd honestly just start him once he's settled in, as from highlights he's seems pretty comfortable in his position and on the ball.

Can't wait to see him and Tino playing, they're exactly what we need at LB and RB.

From the Athletic:

“He’s a player that I like,” Newcastle head coach Eddie Howe said. “Very versatile, really good potential.”

“I think if we were able to bring a player in that would be our transfer business concluded unless there was injuries within are in place.”

Asked whether he’d spoken to Dan Burn — Newcastle’s left-back for most of last season — about the move, Howe replied: “No, I don’t think that’s something I’ve ever really done in a sense of sit down when you sign a player regardless of position.

“With that player who’s currently holding the shirt, I think it’s obvious that if they continue to perform well, and the team is successful, they will keep their place.

“But they will be aware of added competition and that’s what you want. You want the players thinking, ‘If I have a bad game, I could be replaced’. We want a team that’s constantly pushing each other for better performances.”

4 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

Seems odd Chelsea would agree to loan only this year with obligation to buy next year. I would think they need the cash arrival now for FFP but we may not have the cash now. Barnes, Tonali, and Hall....wow.

They’ll also very much need the cash next season as well and this guarantees that there will be some.  

What an exciting signing!

Think im gonna give this transfer window 10/10 after all. Forget about the little stuff. 

Four absolute fantastic signings. 

Sad to see ASM go, but he probably didnt fit in with the playstyle. Still think we got robbed though, but who cares :)

Edited by Displayname