Lewis Hall

Paully

The more I watch him the more I think he may be a CM and not a left back. He should receive the ball in more advanced positions. He has great passing but not the best decision making. I remember reading that he fancies himself as a CM when we signed him and I was perplexed by that at the time but now it makes a bit more sense. Would like to see him get a chance to play in longstaffs position one match. Wouldn’t be surprised if he looks more natural there. 

He’s clearly made for midfield like, and not defensive midfield. I hope we can mould him into a top LB but if not we need to just have him as a play making midfielder in the Odegaard vein 

He's a young player without much experience in his position so he's obviously still a work in progress defensively. He was very good end of last year and in preseason. Having a fullback with genuinely excellent technique can be a game changer (see: Trippier).

That said, he has great technique with either foot, can pick a pass, dribble and shoot from range. The attacking side of his game is clearly the strongest part. Does anyone else wonder how dangerous he might be like cutting in from the right wing?

41 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Didn't think he did as badly as others think he did, made a couple of vital blocks, but can't deny we looked far more secure with Kelly on the pitch.

He was trying to be too clever rather than keeping it simple which just meant he kept giving the ball away.  Hopefully he'll learn from it.

Edited by duo

2 hours ago, duo said:

He was trying to be too clever rather than keeping it simple which just meant he kept giving the ball away.  Hopefully he'll learn from it.

He's naturally brave with the ball, which is catching him out sometimes at the moment, although fundamentally it's a good thing. Never ever get a sense of him feeling overawed, quite the opposite.

He’s clearly come on quite a bit and is trusted a lot more by Eddie than previously. If this was last season he would be hauled off as soon as Schar was sent off. 

overall not his best day but he will learn and become a better player as a result. 

It's the sort of game we are going to get from him for a while. He's 19, and whilst there's lots they can do on the training pitch he needs game time to learn. 

There were times yesterday where he wasn't great, but then the same can be said of the team as a whole. 

And he did keep us in the match with goal line clearance. I think we lose without that. So it wasn't a fully bad day at the office. 

13 hours ago, Sufi said:

The more I watch him the more I think he may be a CM and not a left back. He should receive the ball in more advanced positions. He has great passing but not the best decision making. I remember reading that he fancies himself as a CM when we signed him and I was perplexed by that at the time but now it makes a bit more sense. Would like to see him get a chance to play in longstaffs position one match. Wouldn’t be surprised if he looks more natural there. 

He is a CM who got moved to LB I believe, I would genuinely at some point but another LB and move him to the CM options.

Edited by Gawalls

Certainly wasn't his best game but in fairness we had so little of the ball it was always going to be a battle for him. No judgement on him yet, I will see how he gets on against Bournemouth, Spurs and Wolves before having any real opinion either way.

Hoping Howe sticks with him next game rather than going for Kelly at left back. Fully expect Howe to do this mind given how often he favoured Burn. 

I just think if you look at Liverpool and how often they cut through teams having someone like TAA at right back it can be massively beneficial to have some creativity from the full back. I’m not saying Hall is TAA mind but the lad has clearly got potential. 

I think this season we'll see him play against the weaker teams and Kelly against the stronger ones. Bases on yesterday's performance that seems to be 100% the right call.

He's got some great attributes and I really like him ambition in passing at times, but this can cost him and he was done a few times by relatively simple stepovers/direction changes by the attackers.

He had some great games at left back towards the end of last season. It seems daft to write him off on the basis of the first game of this.

EDIT: fwiw I don’t think he was particularly bad. Early yellow wasn’t great, and he had a ten minute period in the second half where he kept trying to play little flicks and losing possession. I don’t think anyone in defence deserves anything other than credit for how they kept them out given the circumstances.

Edited by christ

Howe obviously trusted him enough to start despite there being other good options available. I think that’s telling.

He’ll certainly have better games than yesterday, mind. The early yellow didn’t help.

14 hours ago, BergenMagpie said:

Its one game and 11 vs 10 ffs [emoji38] Lets not jump to conclusions based on this one. Sometimes this place looks like RTG

It’s a good point re not rushing to judgement. He’s young, full of raw talent and may well evolve positionally. At present though, it isn’t just one game.

I’ve watched him in about three games look a little exposed, be caught out of position or lose the ball cheaply in areas you don’t want to give away possession. 

Reminds me a bit of Beresford, though not as quick. He may grow into an even better full back but, particularly, with Schar missing I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kelly starting. 

You’re always gonna get more stick for trying to play out and losing it. Balancing risk and decision making in those moments when down to 10 men in the premier league is really difficult.

Anyone can hoof it blindly up the pitch, he was being brave/naive (delete as appropriate). You have to pick your moments carefully. 

Great to have options at LB as Kelly did look very assured, another ‘good headache’ for Howe going into Bournemouth. 

Edited by BoSelecta

Just now, BoSelecta said:

You’re always gonna get more stick for trying to play out and losing it. Balancing risk and decision making in those moment when down to 10 men in the premier league is really difficult.

Anyone can hoof it blindly up the pitch, he was being brave/naive (delete as appropriate). You have to pick your moments carefully. 

Great to have options at LB as Kelly did look very assured, another ‘good headache’ for Howe going into Bournemouth. 

I love that he almost always tries to build play but he definitely did go a bit far trying a no-look backheel to Bruno on the edge of our box [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I love that he almost always tries to build play but he definitely did go a bit far trying a no-look backheel to Bruno on the edge of our box [emoji38]

Imagine it came off though [emoji38]

Was never a fucking yellow card by the way.

Considering there two midfielders could just foul all game and not pick up a booking is beyond galling when Hall gets a booking for that. 

6 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

Was never a fucking yellow card by the way.

Considering there two midfielders could just foul all game and not pick up a booking is beyond galling when Hall gets a booking for that. 

Ridiculous booking, just stank of Pawson wanting the game to be about him. No chance Robertson gets that booking at Anfield after 8 minutes like.