Lewis Hall

Paully

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Burn is definitely a better player than quite a few give him credit for.  He’s also a much better LB than plenty do

True but I think he is one of the reasons we look disjointed right now. He's a great edge of the box defender but not so great pushing up, made worse by both current CH's being like that meaning we can't press as we'd like as there's a huge gap between midfield and back line that is being exploited.

Just now, madras said:

True but I think he is one of the reasons we look disjointed right now. He's a great edge of the box defender but not so great pushing up, made worse by both current CH's being like that meaning we can't press as we'd like as there's a huge gap between midfield and back line that is being exploited.

Aye, definitely.  Botman and Schar are capable and technical defenders - Burn isn’t close to their technical proficiency.  Burn will look better when Schar returns.  

He’s an excellent squad option though - I like having BDB on the books. 

1 hour ago, TBG said:

So did we jump the gun when we earmarked him and Tino as England's starting right and left backs for the next 20 years? 

Not for me and I cheerled that particular view more than most. 

Both still young lads. Hall esp so. 

There's absno doubt he, Hall, is a player. Just raw 

Tino is nearly there. 

I think to some extent Hall is lucky in that we can't do a Chelsea or a Man City and just spunk wads on every position. Regardless of the unfairness built into the system it, at least, forces us to evolve organically a tad. 

Hall will get better at the things he needs to get better at. I've no doubt. 

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Do you know how borderline it is between being in the bottom 20% and the top 10% for a centre back? 1 extra pass out of 10. 80.5% pass completion is absolutely decent like, particularly when he's been at fullback most of the time and the average for full backs in 78%. Now do our other defenders...

Schar 82%

Trippier 75%

Botman 90%

Livramento 85%

Hall 80%

Lascelles 85%

Krafth 84%

Bonus:

Guehi 86%

Saliba 90%

Perhaps the fullback data is skewing. Agree to disagree.

Hall did look really good the back end of last season so he clearly has the capability but he's young & learning his trade so it feels like he's going to naturally have these highs/lows throughout the campaign. He's a fantastically versatile option for us in that he can stick to the line or invert and I think we'll see the big benefits of that throughout the season.

1 hour ago, Winn said:

I've said for months he's not good enough.  Had potential maybe but he's been terrible if you ask me.  Tbh I think he's slow and seems a little lazy.  Gives the ball away constantly.  

Terrible and gives the ball away constantly is a mad one

He completed 61 out of 67 passes, some of the ones I recall him not completing were attack minded passes which are riskier but worth doing

Defensively he is raw but don't recall any major howler from him

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I can see the moments when Hall does something a bit careless or too brave and loses the ball, I think those will be concerning Howe more than anything defensive. 

Probably should be more concerned about everyone else losing the ball who are more experienced. Bruno / Joelinton / Isak were giving it up carelessly again, and in the wrong areas.

4 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Probably should be more concerned about everyone else losing the ball who are more experienced. Bruno / Joelinton / Isak were giving it up carelessly again, and in the wrong areas.

Absolutely, just saying Hall does make a few mistakes. I rate him highly and want him to play.