Lewis Hall

Paully

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Saliba doesn't play full-back at all.

Gomez, Ake, Akanji, White, Tomiyasu, Colwil.

I don't think that profile is that hard to find.

He kinda ends up there a fair bit in games though.

image.png.b7402005d1b330dc78fc569085489a36.png

12 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

He kinda ends up there a fair bit in games though.

image.png.b7402005d1b330dc78fc569085489a36.png

That's a CB position. The defensive FB heatmap of White is here:

image.thumb.png.ba745302adaaf97a3834e9649eb96a7c.png

Massive caveat is that even though Arsenal have a defensive FB - and recently been playing 2 CBs by trade at FB (Kiwior at LB) they spend the majority of games attacking. But when it's time to defend they are on business.

Edit: Arsenal tend to play with a box midfield which gives them extra defensive security and both CBs have pace so they are more comfortable defending with only 2 at the back on transition. We don't have that privilege so our third CB/FB sits more.

Edited by The College Dropout

2 hours ago, Zero said:

Fucking hell. So we let go a youth international midfielder to Chelsea for nothing, good enough to sit on their bench, and then agreed to pay Chelsea 28m for a similar player that the manager has no interest or no trust to play even when we are having injury crisis

Jesus fucking christ

I don't think sitting on Chelsea's bench is any indication of quality like. You (and 99% of Newcastle fans) have absolutely no idea how good he is and whether it was a good decision to let him go.

The Chelsea fans were similarly fuming last summer when we signed Hall ffs 

8 hours ago, Menace said:

Our FFP means we're not really in a position to pay £28-£35m for a player who "will come good" We need players that can make a difference now. The fact that he's not been getting a sniff all season shows he's way off what we're expecting from him/

This is a very baffling transfer.

This season is a loan, so the fee doesn’t kick in until the summer. For all we know come August he will be ready for regular first team minutes. 

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Saliba doesn't play full-back at all.

Gomez, Ake, Akanji, White, Tomiyasu, Colwil.

I don't think that profile is that hard to find.

You've missed the point. And half of the players you've listed started as centre backs.

I mentioned Saliba and Akanji as the kind of profile we would probably hope to replace Burn with if we were to stay with the current system. Technically good, physical, fairly quick, and great 1v1 down the byline. The likes of Akanji and Saliba just look completely different to the vast majority of defenders.

There would be no point replacing Burn with someone like Tomiyasu, the rest are going to be costing over 50m.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

This has got to be money oriented surely, how could anyone be satisfied otherwise with this peculiar transfer?

It's felt like a big waste of time for everyone involved so far.

2 minutes ago, GeordieT said:

Interesting, for what I believe is the first time ever the quotes this morning would suggest it’s not guaranteed and could be appearance based?

Was it not league position based? We are two wins from safety also if based on relegation.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Was it not league position based? We are two wins from safety also if based on relegation.

Yeah, there was some ITK Chelsea Twitter account claiming we just had to stay up to make it permanent.

He seems like such a decent lad. Really hope it clicks for him here and that the expectation from Howe when he says Hall must "work on the defensive part of his game in order to convince him to be handed more starts" isn't that he has to grow 22cm :lol:

33 minutes ago, GeordieT said:

Interesting, for what I believe is the first time ever the quotes this morning would suggest it’s not guaranteed and could be appearance based?

He's mentioned it before. Which didn't make sense.

When Hall was signed - the noise was that we had an obligation to buy him with minimal criteria and the loan element was just to balance FFP. Similar to the Wood sale - he just had to make 5 appearances.

Not going to write him off until I see the club either dodge the obligation to buy or move him on ourselves once permanent. It's been a huge shame to see him not get utilised at all but it took half a season for the likes for Gordon to truly settle in to what Howe wanted and he's got a few years on Hall.

If he becomes permanent then fingers crossed a pre-season getting to grips with what Howe expects will allow him to push on.

Edited by wormy

35 minutes ago, wormy said:

Not going to write him off until I see the club either dodge the obligation to buy or move him on ourselves once permanent. It's been a huge shame to see him not get utilised at all but it took half a season for the likes for Gordon to truly settle in to what Howe wanted and he's got a few years on Hall.

If he becomes permanent then fingers crossed a pre-season getting to grips with what Howe expects will allow him to push on.

maybe Eddie already has.

jow white and mattie getting on in front of him.

Just now, STM said:

I watched Eddie's press conference and IMO he kind of implied that Halls transfer was a mistake.

never says anything overly positive about him.