Lewis Hall

Paully

Is that a joke? What are they supposed to do? Their country has been levelled in parts. If they go back then it’s to join the war effort and potentially face being killed. It’s an impossible situation for them where their main priority is likely safeguarding their families and loved ones

24 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Probs just me me but I'm always bemused at these Ukrainians kicking balls around Europe like nowts the matter whilst we're all supposed to be on the verge of WW3 for the protection of their homeland. Or is it all just American guff? 

Anyways, he's shit. 

How do you know they're doing it like nowt's the matter?

4 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

How do you know they're doing it like nowt's the matter?

Obvs I've no idea what he/they think or do. 

As it goes there's 3 young Ukrainian lads graft in my Aldi and I tend to think fair play lads, keep as far away as possible from all that carnage so I was typing shit anyway. (I'll not delete as it will be a permant reminder to hold my finger) 

Posted in the wrong thread, by far, my sat morning curmudgeon thoughts. 

Appreciate the bounce back lads. 

Lewis Hall is mint btw. 

Edited by Groundhog63

He played like a 19 year old who has started in that position a handful of times in his career. He has the toolset, he just needs the experience, especially when it comes to judging when to press and when to jockey. 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

He played like a 19 year old who has started in that position a handful of times in his career. He has the toolset, he just needs the experience, especially when it comes to judging when to press and when to jockey. 

Completely agree. There are tons of young starlet players in every position. It’s very rare for a fullback. Most good fullbacks tend to be in their mid-late 20s minimum. It takes a lot of experience and reps to get the hang of that position. A player like trippier (when he’s in form) makes it look like it’s second nature. 

This is what makes Tino all the more impressive to me. He’s one of those outliers who is a top class fullback already at his age. It’s not common at all. Don’t even have any top young fullbacks that come to mind who play at this level. I remember Wan-Bissaka looking like a special talent at palace. Walker-peters. It’s a short list. 

10 hours ago, gbandit said:

Is that a joke? What are they supposed to do? Their country has been levelled in parts. If they go back then it’s to join the war effort and potentially face being killed. It’s an impossible situation for them where their main priority is likely safeguarding their families and loved ones

I don’t have much knowledge on the situation there but I have heard that Mudryk and Zinchenko have been donating. Not fair to assume they are just kicking a ball and living it up in England without any care for their family and countrymen. Same for Usyk the boxer and a few other famous Ukrainians. 

edit: wasn’t in response to you gbandit just on the topic in general.

edit:20m of mudryks transfer fee went to charity and Zinchenko donated 1M himself. Doesn’t go far in terms of military equipment but can help people in need for sure 

Edited by Sufi

bit confused as to why he's never played in midfield given that he clearly looks much more like a midfield player than a defender, but I do like his qualities on the ball. Needs an awful lot of 1v1 work if he's to play full back long-term though.

9 minutes ago, Smal said:

bit confused as to why he's never played in midfield given that he clearly looks much more like a midfield player than a defender, but I do like his qualities on the ball. Needs an awful lot of 1v1 work if he's to play full back long-term though.

Not sure I've seen enough ability to qualify him as a midfielder mind. It's usually easier to go marauding forward from full back, but he looks hesitant to do so, maybe wary of the space he'd be leaving in behind with Burn not really suited to stepping upfield to cover.

Feel like with his technical ability, good left foot and small centre of gravity, he'd be good being an inverted LB, stepping into midfield 

However, Trippier and Livramento are aggressive RBs and I can't see us doing both of them

Not good today. Seemed to be playing within himself in every way.

Schar didn't look impressed with him when he went down towards the end of the game...

Maybe the manager is right and he's raw for the future or maybe he was left on the bench too much and coming in cold plays like he's not up to speed with his team mates etc. 

Maybe both things can be true at once if we have to pay 28m for him it does feel like an overpayment right now but still so young with such an opportunity to grow into the side for years to come. 

Thought he was ok. Still very composed on the ball and he was aggressive when defending early on. Which actually counted against him. 

He wasn’t great 1 on 1. But I did feel a bit sorry for both him and Krafth. Gordon stayed high and Murphy played narrow off the ball. They were dreadfully exposed. Constantly had 30-40 yards of space to defend and often had a runner going beyond, as well.

Also, Iwobi’s end product is shit. But he is a quality player on the ball. The same for Willian on the other side. Was happy when he went off. 

He's very young and new to professional football. He'll have variability for a while yet imo.

He felt a little hung out to dry by Willock and Gordon, for me, when they could see he was struggling. Anderson coming on was much better for him.

Thought he did well in a difficult work environment. This is the experience he needs that he won't be getting by not playing.

1 hour ago, 80 said:

Not good today. Seemed to be playing within himself in every way.

Schar didn't look impressed with him when he went down towards the end of the game...

I mean Schar would have some nerve for calling anyone for falling down.

2 hours ago, Sufi said:

Completely agree. There are tons of young starlet players in every position. It’s very rare for a fullback. Most good fullbacks tend to be in their mid-late 20s minimum. It takes a lot of experience and reps to get the hang of that position. A player like trippier (when he’s in form) makes it look like it’s second nature. 

This is what makes Tino all the more impressive to me. He’s one of those outliers who is a top class fullback already at his age. It’s not common at all. Don’t even have any top young fullbacks that come to mind who play at this level. I remember Wan-Bissaka looking like a special talent at palace. Walker-peters. It’s a short list. 

Nah, not the case at all.  Even Tino isn’t that young in relative terms.  Here’s a list when some of England’s full back options made their international debuts:

TAA - 19

James - 18

Walker - 21

Rico Lewis - 19

White - 23

Chilwell - 21

Shaw - 18

Not one of them was an eyebrow-raising debutant at that level.  

Trippier developed later, certainly.  

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Thought he did well in a difficult work environment. This is the experience he needs that he won't be getting by not playing.

This is why the last 9 games which he will most likely get now will be invaluable for him - learn, assess your game, work hard in pre season and he’ll be a different player next season 

FWIW I reckon we will sign 2 hybrid LCB/LB players in the summer - one of them most likely be a starter at LB the other at CB

4 minutes ago, Mikky said:

This is why the last 9 games which he will most likely get now will be invaluable for him - learn, assess your game, work hard in pre season and he’ll be a different player next season 

FWIW I reckon we will sign 2 hybrid LCB/LB players in the summer - one of them most likely be a starter at LB the other at CB

Another LB?  Don’t see it myself.  We’ve got several players who can play left back, and priorities elsewhere