Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

Christ, always forget how boring Man City are. I mean, you have to respect the way they pull it off because it's so hard to do... but fuck me is it dull :lol:

Anyway, don't think we've been bad. Plan was clearly to contain and they'd not had really much of a sniff until they scored and even that was just a half chance.

We have a few players that stand out like a sore thumb in terms of their level of comfort on the ball when up against a team like City. Big Joe and Burn are a couple of weak links in terms of attempting to play possession football.

Hope we give it a good go in the second half, go at them.

2 minutes ago, Beren said:

Not trying to be hyperbolic in my criticism, but I think Newcastle might watch that half back and feel a bit embarrassed.

No shortage of effort, especially out of possession, Man City are by far away the better side, and that's all fine, but the amount of times Newcastle players have shat their pants with unforced misplaced passes or heavy first touches is not the standard the team will hold themselves to.

Still think this Newcastle team are class, but a lot of that wasn't Man City brilliance. Just Newcastle way too intimidated, not daring to take on anyone.

We are intimidated but I think it comes from knowing if we try harder, run around more, be more daring with passes/attacks then we’ll expose ourselves. We’ll dominate I’d say 90-95% of teams in this league but Man City, at their ground, not yet I’m afraid. If we get a draw from this I’d  be ecstatic. 

Jolinton off it.. joe willock would be perfect replacement.

miggy.. not good enough, just not good enough to compete at this level.

they are scared of Gordon, he’s wasted many passes , so have everyone. But he’s a threat, I know he’s a left winger but with lack of right hand side I’d be tempted to put him on right and bring barns on for miggy for left.. unbalanced I think

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

We're sitting off them and closing space for the most part.

Not the game to go charging about after players the whole game.

Think we've been solid defensively for the majority.

Need to play with more urgency when we have the ball. Letting them get back into defensive shape by slowing things down.

When we receive it out wide and a runner overlaps we take an extra touch to assess options and suddenly any options are gone and City are back in numbers. It's really impressive how they do it.

We haven't played anywhere near the levels we can.  City have been absolutely brilliant. Foden dropping off and running it in the space between midfield and defence. 1-0 down at half time isn't awful by any stretch but lets at least show what we can do second half.  Great opportunity to test ourselves here. 

Just now, Joelinton7 said:

We are intimidated but I think it comes from knowing if we try harder, run around more, be more daring with passes/attacks then we’ll expose ourselves. We’ll dominate I’d say 90-95% of teams in this league but Man City, at their ground, not yet I’m afraid. If we get a draw from this I’d  be ecstatic. 

Yeah that's fair enough, and I suspect they're saving their ambition for later in the second half - but misplacing 5-10 yard passes or not being able to control loose balls, that's totally a mental thing IMO.

1 minute ago, mouldy_uk said:

Dangerous to have any expectations away to the (probably) best club side in the world 

They just won the treble, no probably needed. Havent been able to see much of it, but from the look of things they have just been too good for us. Still just 1-0, hope we can be better second half :thup:

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

We're sitting off them and closing space for the most part.

Not the game to go charging about after players the whole game.

Think we've been solid defensively for the majority.

Need to play with more urgency when we have the ball. Letting them get back into defensive shape by slowing things down.

:thup: Feels like us 'lacking energy' is just an instruction from Howe to not press so much. Said earlier but a couple of times we sensed blood and pressed them, they switched the play with a cracking ball and suddenly our defense were caught on the hop. If we did that more often tonight I don't think we'd only be down by one goal.

We're going to see more negative outcomes in defence purely by virtue of us being out of possession twice as long as most other matches. There's no easy tactical solution to getting more possession at the Etihad.

1 minute ago, Diema 7 said:

Jolinton off it.. joe willock would be perfect replacement.

miggy.. not good enough, just not good enough to compete at this level.

they are scared of Gordon, he’s wasted many passes , so have everyone. But he’s a threat, I know he’s a left winger but with lack of right hand side I’d be tempted to put him on right and bring barns on for miggy for left.. unbalanced I think

Scared of Gordon? They’re deliberately targeting getting Walker one on one against him. But I guess that wouldn’t fit the Miggy scapegoat agenda ??