Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

Maybe I'm just in a positive mood but I really don't know what else we could've done outside of inhaler prescriptions.

We sit back and they're happy to pass around us until an opening appears. A couple of times we've pressed and only just managed to get back and defend after they got around it with one cracking ball.

They're just as good in defence so we just can't break them down. They just seem switched on today, everything they're doing looks smooth as shit. Really do think it's almost them deciding we're a team they actually have to move out of first gear for now.

We’re basically playing 3 CBs and Gordon is having to drop deep to cover LB. Even when we get the ball there’s no outlet. We’ve got no chance at this rate. We need more players up the pitch and take the risk of fewer players back

4 minutes ago, pubteam said:

They bore you into submission. They may be successful but they play dull football.

So difficult to play against.

Lull you to sleep then hit you suddenly.

Think we'd have a bit more joy going more direct and quick with our passing when we have possession. Slowing things down a tad too much.

I will say this is where Almirón is exposed. He has two moves on the ball, the pass back to Bruno looking for the one-two, or the incessant dribble across the top of the box. Very predictable against the very best in the world. We could use a lot more guile and craft on that right side.

1 minute ago, wormy said:

Maybe I'm just in a positive mood but I really don't know what else we could've done outside of inhaler prescriptions.

We sit back and they're happy to pass around us until an opening appears. A couple of times we've pressed and only just managed to get back and defend after they got around it with one cracking ball.

They're just as good in defence so we just can't break them down. They just seem switched on today, everything they're doing looks smooth as shit. Really do think it's almost them deciding we're a team they actually have to move out of first gear for now.

Yep.  I’ve seen a lot on here saying we’re 

‘Showing them too much respect’.  I don’t think that’s true - what’s happening here is that they us showing us respect.  

Just now, wormy said:

Exactly. We are playing the best team in the world and they are up for it.

Our hope was they would be knackered from midweek but Pep has hyped them up and thrown down the gauntlet. They have picked it up so far. Hopefully they tire in the second half and we can take advantage.