Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

That's treble winning Man City playing cautiously against Eddie Howe's Newcastle. We've come a long way.

There was quite an amusing moment towards the end of the first half when they very visibly had all eleven men in their half and behind the ball. Hallmarks of that infamous Rafa game which made us become an apparently all-out-defence team overnight. (Not really, but still, a fun comparison).

Pep takes a lot of stick for being overrated and only managing the best sides etc but what's he's doing at City is so impressive man. The side is constantly evolving and it makes it so hard for them ever to be 'found out' or need transitional periods like other sides do.

Other managers seem to wait until there's a problem and then try and fix it whereas he seems be able to change things up before there's even any sign of a problem. From playing with no strikers to now playing with two up there, from attacking fullbacks to inverted fullbacks, to playing CBs at fullback. He's even added so much physicality to this current side now too but still been able to maintain the possession, control and press resistance elements of their game it's just a nightmare to go up against. 

Cant see any team getting close to them this season. 

They are so good with the ball, that we should have been very precise with our passing. It is exhausting when you get the ball and give it away straight away , and they start their play again. We just could not press them enough. But it was pretty tight game anyway.

This is what I meant in the match thread. As fans it's natural to focus on what we're doing, but sometimes the opposition, including the coach are just too good. We're getting there, but City are on a different planet to pretty much everyone at the moment.

15 hours ago, huss9 said:

first visit to the Etihad and not sure what all the fuss is with the stadium.

more modern and shiny but i still think ours looks better from the outside.

and once we got in the away end it was no better than what we have in the gallowgate.

maybe you have to be in a home section to appreciate it.

I agree. It is an impressive site with all the pitches and the other stadium. But the best thing about the Etihad (might have been City of Manchester Stadium at the time) was the Chicken Balti pies. Utterly scrumptious but I don’t think they do them anymore. 

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

This is what I meant in the match thread. As fans it's natural to focus on what we're doing, but sometimes the opposition, including the coach are just too good. We're getting there, but City are on a different planet to pretty much everyone at the moment.

They have 40, 50-100m players in pretty much every position and it wouldn't surprise me if their wage budget is 3-4 times bigger than ours.

We're miles behind them money and squad wise. What a job wor Beheddie is doing.

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

They have 40, 50-100m players in pretty much every position and it wouldn't surprise me if their wage budget is 3-4 times bigger than ours.

We're miles behind them money and squad wise. What a job wor Beheddie is doing.

:mackems:

3 hours ago, KingArthur said:

They are so good with the ball, that we should have been very precise with our passing. It is exhausting when you get the ball and give it away straight away , and they start their play again. We just could not press them enough. But it was pretty tight game anyway.

weird thing is our passing accuracy was 86%. Way higher than our average last season (78%) and joint with our best game from last season vs Leicester.

4 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

We're miles behind them money and squad wise.

Our annual wage is around £94m per year/£1.8m per week. (Income £180m for last accounts) Man City is around £176m per year/£3.4m per week. (Income £613m)

for comparison, Man Utd is £190m per year/£3.7m per week (income £558m) and Chelsea £142m per year/£2.7m per week (income £481m)

Their best performance since Real Madrid at the Etihad and it was still only 1-0.... It's really not the end of the world for us. Not a great day by any means and given us a bit of a reality check but you've got to take the performance in context and look at the bigger picture.

I like getting this game out the way nice and early, sets the bar for the level we need to be at to compete in the league. On the evidence of the first two games we're going to destroy the average sides in this league week-in-week-out.

I really hope you guys thrash the bin dippers this Sunday, however the denial in some posters on here, City had Stones, Dias, B Silva, KDB all out, we also played in sweltering Greece in a midweek cup final and we still controlled this game and you didn’t lay a glove on us.

Can I say you’re game this Sunday is a big game for Eddie Howe without people getting on my back, for me he can’t afford another defeat against Liverpool like last season, when they schooled you at SJP.

2 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

I really hope you guys thrash the bin dippers this Sunday, however the denial in some posters on here, City had Stones, Dias, B Silva, KDB all out, we also played in sweltering Greece in a midweek cup final and we still controlled this game and you didn’t lay a glove on us.

Can I say you’re game this Sunday is a big game for Eddie Howe without people getting on my back, for me he can’t afford another defeat against Liverpool like last season, when they schooled you at SJP.

Alright dickhead, how was your weekend? Any plans for this week? Lovely sunny day today.

Pep said

"Newcastle are an exceptional team and we spoke a lot that if we gave them an open game, a transition game, they will destroy us," Guardiola told reporters. "So we had to have a lot of control with a lot of passes. That's why I put a lot of players in the middle to have extra passes."

3 minutes ago, Toontimes said:

Pep said

"Newcastle are an exceptional team and we spoke a lot that if we gave them an open game, a transition game, they will destroy us," Guardiola told reporters. "So we had to have a lot of control with a lot of passes. That's why I put a lot of players in the middle to have extra passes."

Only just heard him saying that. Shows how well they prepared to starve us of possession and play the way they did.

14 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

Schooled us? We had ten men for the majority and held our own

Everyone on here has said you murdered us on Saturday so not sure what you're on about there

Edited by jack j

10 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

Wall-to-wall acceptance that the better team won = 'denial', apparently. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

So….let’s discuss your bent and financially corrupt club…

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

Schooled us? We had ten men for the majority and held our own

Fair enough I forgot you were down to 10 men so me saying schooled is abit harsh, but for me the pressure is on Howe to get a big result in this fixture.

1 minute ago, Maineblue said:

Fair enough I forgot you were down to 10 men so me saying schooled is abit harsh, but for me the pressure is on Howe to get a big result in this fixture.

Why pressure on Howe? You won’t find anyone who actually supports our club saying that? Thought you were alright when you first popped up, beginning to look like a troll now.