Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Its not just Joey that does it. There's a whole cult of us. Come join us. Theres me, Joey, McCormick, Andy84, Jaquen, Pilko, toon25, Optimistic Nut. But be warned, once you start its hard to stop.

I noticed that, don't worry :lol: :anguish:

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Its not just Joey that does it. There's a whole cult of us. Come join us. Theres me, Joey, McCormick, Andy84, Jaquen, Pilko, toon25, Optimistic Nut. But be warned, once you start its hard to stop.

We're like Vic and Bob and a few extra ones. 

2 hours ago, Smal said:

weird thing is our passing accuracy was 86%. Way higher than our average last season (78%) and joint with our best game from last season vs Leicester.

I think we played well occasionally. But when we had a chance to sustain pressure and pin them back, a poor pass cost too much. They played so easily through our press and started keeping possession and forced us back. Very frustrating, but tbh they are the best in Europe.

2 hours ago, Maineblue said:

I really hope you guys thrash the bin dippers this Sunday, however the denial in some posters on here, City had Stones, Dias, B Silva, KDB all out, we also played in sweltering Greece in a midweek cup final and we still controlled this game and you didn’t lay a glove on us.

Can I say you’re game this Sunday is a big game for Eddie Howe without people getting on my back, for me he can’t afford another defeat against Liverpool like last season, when they schooled you at SJP.

I seem to remember Dias was in the starting XI for City. edit. And Ake was on the bench

We played well against Liverpool at SJP, but maybe couple of horrendous mistakes.

Edited by KingArthur

1 minute ago, KingArthur said:

I think we played well occasionally. But when we had a chance to sustain pressure and pin them back, a poor pass cost too much. They played so easily through our press and started keeping possession and forced us back. Very frustrating, but tbh they are the best in Europe.

I'm pretty encouraged by a lot of the performance in hindsight tbh.

We never really gave ourselves a chance of winning the game, but if we defend like that in away games in European knockout fixtures it bodes extremely well and it gives us a chance of beating anybody at SJP. They are the best side in the world by a distance imo, but ultimately they never had a clear cut chance. Their goal was a very low percentage effort that might've been saved or off target on another day. Defend like that against any other European side and we likely get a clean sheet. 

1 hour ago, Maineblue said:

I really hope you guys thrash the bin dippers this Sunday, however the denial in some posters on here, City had Stones, Dias, B Silva, KDB all out, we also played in sweltering Greece in a midweek cup final and we still controlled this game and you didn’t lay a glove on us.

Can I say you’re game this Sunday is a big game for Eddie Howe without people getting on my back, for me he can’t afford another defeat against Liverpool like last season, when they schooled you at SJP.

You deservedly won. No argument there. Looked a class above (as you probably are). However, you can’t complain about missing a few players, given the depth of squad. And KDB would be delighted to have the level of influence on a game that Foden had. Wish you’d play him in that position more (though not against us!). 

Re the whole ‘schooling us’ and Eddie under pressure narrative. We lost a man after twenty minutes and still played well up here. We were very unfortunate at Anfield (in terms of disallowed wonder goal and shitloads of added time). I do think that both their goals at SJP came from tactical preparation, and fair play to Klopp for working out how to get through our relentless press. Let’s see if his team can execute such a plan this time, 11 v 11. 

59 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I never am to be fair, I just bite back and get accused of it. :lol:

It's funny seeing another fan get torn apart for sharing what is probably a genuine opinion though. :lol: That's usually me.

But he stated three things. He said Dias wasn't available. He was. 

He said Liverpool "schooled us" last season. Which is just needlessly antagonistic. Also in my opinion wrong if you actually watched the game. 

He also says Howe is under pressure if he loses the game. Which if you honestly believe that then you rightfully should get torn apart for having such a poorly researched opinion. If you don't believe it, then you're just attempting to irritate a fan base on their own message board which is very sad. 

Edited by alexf

1 hour ago, Maineblue said:

Fair enough I forgot you were down to 10 men so me saying schooled is abit harsh, but for me the pressure is on Howe to get a big result in this fixture.

No pressure on Eddie at all

Hes took us from bottom of the league to champions league in 18 months

3 hours ago, Smal said:

weird thing is our passing accuracy was 86%. Way higher than our average last season (78%) and joint with our best game from last season vs Leicester.

Hard for most layman viewers to see past the errors, 2 or more and it's a certified bad game for a player, poor and one note analysis and it's why Bruno is and will continue to get grief as he makes at least one "visible" mistake per game.

1 minute ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Hard for most layman viewers to see past the errors, 2 or more and it's a certified bad game for a player, poor and one note analysis and it's why Bruno is and will continue to get grief as he makes at least one "visible" mistake per game.

Bruno had his best ever game for us in terms of pass completion - 62/66 passes at 94%. His season average last year was 83% and the best he managed previously in a single game was 90.9% against Leicester. He was also dispossessed by a tackle 0 times.

This went with the eye test for me too, because as I said at the time in his thread I thought he was much improved in the game against City. 

23 minutes ago, Smal said:

Bruno had his best ever game for us in terms of pass completion - 62/66 passes at 94%. His season average last year was 83% and the best he managed previously in a single game was 90.9% against Leicester. He was also dispossessed by a tackle 0 times.

This went with the eye test for me too, because as I said at the time in his thread I thought he was much improved in the game against City. 

I think Bruno played well. Wanted the ball and he can draw those tactical fouls like Grealish, Kane etc can. Got us out of the pressure at least once just for being clever. I am only disappointed about the final passes, which were rushed or missed. Bruno's shooting technique is weird, but I think Barnes could have done better with his chance.

Only one I think was missing a bit was Joelinton. He is good at pressing and in duels, but looses his man time to time.