Newcastle United vs. Liverpool: 27/08/23 @ 16:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

These can't keep the ball in the same way Man city can so straight away it's going to be a different game. 

They also can't play through the press like City could either so I think we'll see a return of the high pressure. 

However on transition and counter they are lethal and I get shivers thinking of a ball over the top for Salah with acres of pitch to run into against our back line. 

So interested to see what Eddie comes up with, but we need to learn from the game up here last year. Hopefully it's like Villa and Man U where we have learnt and adapted and now give them some payback. 

This is the one game I want to win more than any other, it's so annoying that they were the only team to do the double over us as well as the way in which we lost at Anfield

Plus the added factor of Klopp being a massive scumbag

Whilst I'm usually all for a fast start we have to be mindful with Liverpool, we started better in the home game but they scored with their first attack. We still created some decent chances even though most of the game was played with 10 men. I think a controlled start and avoiding conceding early would probably be the best approach

Though, no doubt once the game starts I'll be screaming for a 100mph start and just attack them 

For me it is just Klopp and his snide comments and moaning, really want to put one over him as he has gone way down in my opinion.

Watching Liverpool play is entertaining mind you, can't take that away.

Big test for us this game. And for Eddie’s tactical nous. Losing Pope halfway through the first half kind of scuppered any meaningful comparison between last year and this. But their two goals (from memory) came from great long balls which cut through our frantic pressing, albeit one-man down. If I recall correctly Anderson started this one, don’t think he will this game;  though who knows, especially if mixing it up is required due to a Joelinton injury. 

Don’t think they looked too formidable away to Chelsea, and started slowly against Bournemouth. But Szoboszlai (kept hearing his name like it was coming from a scouse golf commentator  ‘It’s a boss lie’…) worries me. One that got away and I look forward to comparing Tonali with him, in terms of influence, should Sandro start. I expect us to win by a couple of goals. If we do, it’s a massive statement for the season. 

14 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Big test for us this game. And for Eddie’s tactical nous. Losing Pope halfway through the first half kind of scuppered any meaningful comparison between last year and this. But their two goals (from memory) came from great long balls which cut through our frantic pressing, albeit one-man down. If I recall correctly Anderson started this one, don’t think he will this game;  though who knows, especially if mixing it up is required due to a Joelinton injury. 

Don’t think they looked too formidable away to Chelsea, and started slowly against Bournemouth. But Szoboszlai (kept hearing his name like it was coming from a scouse golf commentator  ‘It’s a boss lie’…) worries me. One that got away and I look forward to comparing Tonali with him, in terms of influence, should Sandro start. I expect us to win by a couple of goals. If we do, it’s a massive statement for the season. 

Both goals came when we had 11 men on the pitch. But we still created chances; Almiron should score at 0-0, we hit the woodwork twice(?), Wilson should score after Gordon put it on a plate for him and this was all sans Bruno. Plus given the way they capitulated v Real Madrid at Anfield a few days later, every chance we get back into it 11v11.

If we're clinical we win. We'll create chances as we can press their back line and GK, can swarm them in midfield but their front 3 can easily hurt us with balls over the top given the pace they have. Howe needs to balance risk/reward in terms how aggressive and how high up the pitch we play.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

They had two wins against us last season, one of which was just PL authorised robbery.

Enough is enough. Put them down, or failing that instruct Mad Dog to plant a right hook to Klopp's grinding jaw at full time.

Came in here to admit to being far too emotionally involved in this game. It looks like everyone else is the same!

Poetic justice would be a 1-0 off a penalty won by an Alexander Isak dive. Miggy or Gordon and they won't give it. Let's see how their fans fucking like it. We're the Champions League team now, like Ray Winstone, the new Daddy, and we're at home. We should get the decisions, not them.

I am worried for this game, purely because we lost to them twice last season, regardless of the fairness of that. They can move it around quickly and be clinical.

We really need to win this game for a number of reasons. Momentum and mentality more than anything.

I actually think we will do OK and win. We will see more of the ball and it will be more of an open game. 

5 minutes ago, Rocker said:

Apart from Ten Hag and Man Red, there's not another team in the league I'd like to smash more than Mr Ed and his collection of entitled, whinging, cunts.

Two really miserable managers there in Ten Hag and Klopp, no doubt about it, but as a club I just can't stand Liverpool. The incessant whine of their entitled fan base just grinds my gears. Klopp failing to give any credit or respect to their opponents has only made them worse.

45 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Another really difficult game, their pace will be a challenge. I don't think we'll see big changes, Longstaff in for Joelinton that's about it, I'd expect Eddie to choose the same side with that one switch.

Any updates on Big Joe?

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Of course they will appeal, they know fine well they'll get a sympathetic hearing from the officials who'll be sat round a desk wearing Klopp is King of the Kop t-shirts.