Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

Subs weren't great but if Barnes passes to Wilson and we win 2-0 then Howe's subs barely get a mention tbh and probably gets applauded for bringing on fresh legs down that side.

They had 2 shots on target in that second half and scored them both. Miggy hit the post on what would have been a Worldie.

Thin thin margins but we blew it ourselves today, something that will very very rarely happen under Howe.

We're not playing out best and still getting very close to getting results against Man City and Liverpool. 

Think of where we were 3 years ago and think of where we'll be in 3 years.

We're in good hands!

Edited by Scotty66

7 minutes ago, duo said:

We didn't - Keeper hardly had to make any saves. That was our problem.  Second half we just didn't target the left as we had done in the first and kept trying to play it through the lines. So many times first Gordon, then Barnes just not getting the ball.

You had Alisson saving it onto the bar from Almiron, Almiron smashing over at the back stick, Barnes through with an easy square ball to Wilson and Almiron hitting the post. Joelinton and Gordon also smashed efforts straight at the keeper.

Then you have Nunez, two half chances, two goals and a lesson in how to be clinical.

52 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Losing against Man City didn't bother me, it wasn't that I expected it, I thought it was a decent enough game and the best team won on the day, adding in to that that Pep seems like a nice enough bloke. But losing against the media darling Scouse scumbags with their shitty players and tooth grinding arsehole of a manager, I fucking hate them, utterly hate them. I don't think there's a more fluky team that gets more help from the officials than them or has a more biased commentary following.

How the fuck did we lose to that shower of shite today? Proper pissed off by this result.

Great post, you’re not wrong with them being media darlings, there scumbag fans bottled, coined and bricked the Man City players coach on the way to Anfield for a QF Champions League tie in 2018 and they received fuck all condemnation from the media for doing it, it was that bad Pep and the players had to get replacement transport back to Manchester, this and other things is why I hate the cunts.

50 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

We are lacking players who move to pockets and like to receive the ball between lines. Isak comes deep to collect sometimes, but it makes us predictable to play. Andersson wanted for the ball when he came on, but others are just hiding. Tonali and Bruno deep and Joelinton not showing for the ball or not calm with it.

Yes, this is exactly it for me.

Against better sides we are not slick enough to open them up consistently yet.

I actually think we should consider playing a more counter attacking style against them.

Think we'd have given Man City and Liverpool far more problems attacking them in transition.

13 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Perhaps harsh to say given the opposition, but Longstaff has looked really uncomfortable coming off the bench, ineffectual today and against City, actually detrimental.

I wonder if he’s a player who needs to start to actually get to grips with the game rhythm.

Would agree 100% with this, even when he's having a good game he can look like he put on someone else's boots by mistake. Coming into a congested midfield when we're trying to retain the ball just doesn't suit him.

Felt like the wrong sub to make given how the game was going today. We needed to keep the ball and Tonali shouldn't have been knackered at least in comparison to the Liverpool players. Think personally it was weak management from Howe, a preordained move that didn't reflect what was needed at the time.

1 hour ago, Dyeyzzon said:

City: We actually created more last season, but couldn't finish.
Liverpool: Down to 10 early but I came out feeling better with that just cause we didn't buckle when we could easily have done.

I'm unsure if comparing score lines is effective here but to each their own I guess. [emoji38]

Last season Man City beat us 5 - 0, to say we created more is seriously cherry picking the stats.

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

No, I'm afraid I don't know it.

If I thought it was on him I would have said so.

11 men against 10 men should have been a doddle to manage.  Eddie failed.  You know it.

Gotta figure out way to have Gordon, Isak and Wilson in attack. Need to get Willock rotated into the midfield when fit with Bruno and Tonali. The sooner Hall getting up to speed the better as well. 

Still going to make a point then to saying we created more last season. They beat us two nil last season and we had five shots with two on target, this game got beat one nil but created seven shots with one on target.  Can still barely say we created more last season.

The only thing worse than this result is reading the shite on here across the football forum like. It is a bad result, awful, that's football, we move on to the next game. We had two spells of not winning in 8 games last season, and also lost this fixture, but still finished 4th, there is a long long way to go. 

Just want to also mention that I hope those tearing into Howe and the players enjoy the Champions League draw on Thursday. :thup:

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Gotta figure out way to have Gordon, Isak and Wilson in attack. Need to get Willock rotated into the midfield when fit with Bruno and Tonali. The sooner Hall getting up to speed the better as well. 

I’d even consider trying Anderson for Bruno for a game or two when we get to play the likes of sheff utd and palace.

1 minute ago, Decky said:

The only thing worse than this result is reading the shite on here across the football forum like. It is a bad result, awful, that's football, we move on to the next game. We had two spells of not winning in 8 games last season, and also lost this fixture, but still finished 4th, there is a long long way to go. 

Just want to also mention that I hope those tearing into Howe and the players enjoy the Champions League draw on Thursday. :thup:

I hope it doesn’t come across that in “tearing into Howe” because in not, it’s just bringing longstaff on today was always the wrong call for me.

6 minutes ago, Decky said:

You can criticise Howe and the team for today but still think he's phenomenal and done a job so fantastic it's pretty much unprecedented, like. I was backing him back when we had 1 win in 21(?) whilst a few on here were calling for a Benitez return. 

We had a game on a plate against 10 men that we threw away. It was shit. Don't think it's necessarily mad to call it us as such.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I hope it doesn’t come across that in “tearing into Howe” because in not, it’s just bringing longstaff on today was always the wrong call for me.

Criticising subs and that is all fair game for every single match, but I think some people are massively overreacting outside of stuff like that, particularly in the Howe and Bruno threads. Its understandable that football brings out that emotion in people in the immediate aftermath of a bad defeat but we're in the CL draw on Thursday because of this team and I think people need to remember that. Especially when we're 3 games in, this could easily still be a better season than last at this very early stage. 

A few hours to calm down a bit... 

Yes, it irritates, especially against them lot. But I wouldn't swap this team / manager with anyone. We in a UCL draw this coming week and that's down to everyone's hard work. 

We know we're not the finished article. I keep repeating that we're very much ahead of schedule. Our time will come. Hope is with us, where before there was none at all. 

Brighton away is going to be tough, but we can get something there. Eventually we're going to learn how to play against the bigger teams when it matters. 

14 minutes ago, Rod said:

11 men against 10 men should have been a doddle to manage.  Eddie failed.  You know it.

If anything we struggled more against 10 men closing up space and sitting deeper. 

The whole situation was just awkward. Was more disappointed in the players not showing enough patience and composure to manage the whole situation.