Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

24 minutes ago, Zero said:

I wish we could have ASM to sub in and knock out TAA. That’s exactly the difference we need to unlock a tight defence. Barnes is not that type of player.

We all know what we did wrong, hence why we are that furious - we throw away three points ourselves.

I disagree, we need to ween ourselves off Saint Max, his output was abysmal, he'd run at them then fuck up the pass or pass it back or lose possession

Not sure we were quite as bad as some folks are making out, and some of the stuff being written on facebook is absolutely embarrassing.

Allison doesn't make that wonder save and we go into half time 2-0 up, and i'd have fancied a hat-full. 

Miggy's shot goes in off the post, and we seal the win.

The ball bounces off Botman's arse and doesn't hit his heal and Nunez isn't in.

Subs were agreeably frustrating, especially Gordan and Tonali. 

Time to move on, next week a win would be massive to get us up and running after losses against 2 clubs who have both been European champions in the last 5 years, and reached 5 of the last 6 CL Finals between them.

8 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Wilson will be chinning Barnes right now

Against Villa in a similar situation Barnes first gave it on a plate to Wilson and the chance was fluffed. The next similar chance Barnes took it himself and scored. 

Only the wrong choice it the wrong one in retrospect. Rough to put any particular blame on him.

30 minutes ago, Mountain said:

I disagree, we need to ween ourselves off Saint Max, his output was abysmal, he'd run at them then fuck up the pass or pass it back or lose possession

When it comes to unlock a tight defence it’s ASMs work. Barnes is rarely effective - he can only make a cross

Barnes output is mostly from counter attacks. I think that’s pretty obvious.

5 minutes ago, Zero said:

When it comes to unlock a tight defence it’s ASMs work. Barnes is rarely effective - he can only make a cross

Erm, so was Maxi's [emoji38]

12 minutes ago, Karjala said:

Not sure we were quite as bad as some folks are making out, and some of the stuff being written on facebook is absolutely embarrassing.

Allison doesn't make that wonder save and we go into half time 2-0 up, and i'd have fancied a hat-full. 

Miggy's shot goes in off the post, and we seal the win.

The ball bounces off Botman's arse and doesn't hit his heal and Nunez isn't in.

Subs were agreeably frustrating, especially Gordan and Tonali. 

Time to move on, next week a win would be massive to get us up and running after losses against 2 clubs who have both been European champions in the last 5 years, and reached 5 of the last 6 CL Finals between them.

It's a huge piece of fortune that goes in Nunez favour, like last year when he mis-controlled it and it fell perfectly for him to volley home, but it's the kind of desire we lacked today at times to get in on goal. I thought our goal was far more of a gift. 

I just don't think we have our best blend of players starting a game, if you look at the changes from last year you wouldn't say we are stronger.

Gordon has really improved but he should compete with almiron freeing up isak and Wilson combo or starting Harvey barnes. 

Lewis hall will be a great signing, but that LB area should have been the priority as today and last week it was badly exposed 

Still can't get over this game. Sickening how we played after the sending off. Intensity definitely was not our identity.

We should have increased our pressure on them after the red until we had a 2 or 3 goal lead. We had all 5 subs left. Keep the pressure up and if a player is unable to run anymore there's plenty of fresh legs to put on. We have a squad now. Use it.

Putting out the same team as the last two games and doing the exact same subs at the exact same times when it was easy to see this could end badly the longer the game went on....really hope lessons has been learnt.

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

Erm, so was Maxi's [emoji38]

Nah if he knows how to make good runs during counter attack he won’t be sold.

Anyway now it looks like Gordon has 100% secured his starting spot.

7 minutes ago, Zero said:

I think maxi would have been a great choice to bring on second half when things went flat before the inevitable Scouse chance. His output wasn't the best but at least he would have ran at a tired and depleted backline which is something that didn't happen after Gordon went off. 

Just now, mush said:

Is it just me or does anybody else think if it stayed 11 v 11 we win that? The sending off seemed to mess with our game plan and mentality

Aye. Everyone knew their job and it was nicely balanced in our favour. 

Think afterwards we lost our competitive edge 

5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

2 clean sheets in 20 PL games now. Obviously not the be all and end all, but y'kna. 

It's definitely an issue, I'd want more clean sheets, but the truth is we play an aggressive style that relies heavily on the back four winning their individual battles over being a compact unit.

For the most part they do a good job of limiting chances and ultimately goals conceded. With all that said, it does concern me how little we have in the way of recovery pace. That was all Darwin Nunez had today if we're being frank. He was able to run in behind twice. Once he got a lucky bounce, and the second time Burn wasn't able to keep up with him. 

Lewis Hall and Livramento will offer us a different profile at fullback, someone that can dribble and cross and be a genuine threat with recovery pace, but I do worry a bit for Schar. He's great at a lot of things, but his game has never been about physical prowess. It's why I think we likely go in for a CB on loan before the window shuts. 

To try and put a different slant on this, the mighty Liverpool FC have come to our place, won in a very much smash and grab manner and celebrated as if they won the league. 

We are a team which is genuinely concerning the big 6 and that is a positive im going to take. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

To try and put a different slant on this, the mighty Liverpool FC have come to our place, won in a very much smash and grab manner and celebrated as if they won the league. 

We are a team which is genuinely concerning the big 6 and that is a positive im going to take. 

I like this approach! My first positive thought about the match. Every team, even the great ones (not saying we are), lose games they should have won. We didn’t quite click, but still did enough to win; especially with the odds stacked in our favour.
Well done to Liverpool who dug in, stuck together, and have top quality throughout the squad. Two great finishes make the difference not unlike last season’s defeat to them here. Maybe it’ll be a different story at Anfield, it’ll be on us to make it so. 

9 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I like this approach! My first positive thought about the match. Every team, even the great ones (not saying we are), lose games they should have won. We didn’t quite click, but still did enough to win; especially with the odds stacked in our favour.
Well done to Liverpool who dug in, stuck together, and have top quality throughout the squad. Two great finishes make the difference not unlike last season’s defeat to them here. Maybe it’ll be a different story at Anfield, it’ll be on us to make it so. 

It’s extra frustrating because I think a lot of us saw the mugging coming and us being complacent really cost us this one. Make no mistake we were complacent and sloppy but no world did Liverpool deserve to win that match. 

Im sure Eddie is furious both with himself and the team, his standards are much higher than what we displayed and I’m certain we will come back stronger as a result of this, just fingers crossed for Sven because he’s absolutely crucial for us. 

20 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Nice post!

As for the potential concern of "we can't beat a low block (or 10 men)", this low block or 10 men was Liverpool with the best goalie in the league. Other teams' low block won't be as good. Last week a team called NUFC created a fine defensive display at the Etihad that limited Man City to 1.0 to 1.3 xG. I doubt many of their fans were calling for wholesale changes or dismissing Haarland et. al as ineffective. Rodri's error created a big chance to score, but we missed it and Nunez scored the chances he got.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Edited by Superior Acuña

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

My go-to positive thought is that the setbacks will make the eventual glory (silverware) all the sweeter. I truly believe that...but it does eventually require some actual glory to come to fruition...