Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

Had a LFC supporting mate send me a pic of tindall saying he'd love to give him a slap:ructions:

Do they not realise their manager is the biggest cunt in the league, and that league has arteta in it also?

Also, I'm sure the pic is of a time when klopp is whining to the 4th official!?

4 hours ago, Zero said:

When it comes to unlock a tight defence it’s ASMs work. Barnes is rarely effective - he can only make a cross

Barnes output is mostly from counter attacks. I think that’s pretty obvious.

We never ever beat Liverpool when we had ASM either, let’s not start making him into this match winner now he’s left.

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

I'm still so angry about this. This one hits very different.

Going to be pissed off about it on some level all season unless we have some amazing results in the CL or league to counteract the horror of being 1-0 up and having a man advantage for 70 mins against fucking Liverpool and that dickhead Klopp and then going on to lose the game

It's what makes waking up after a really satisfying win so good - that you snatched victory from the jaws of defeat and know how much you've taken from the opposition and their fans.

This is the opposite of that and you have to take it on the chin. It keeps your modesty in check and makes winning a pure joy when it happens. It also hardens our team and teaches them a valuable lesson in ruthlessness and not getting complacent.

👆 This is what I'm trying to tell myself anyway. Can't pretend that it isn't an absolute sickener waking up remembering that we threw it away like that and that there are no do-overs.

We'll just have to be a support network for each other until our next win :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

Think I'm mostly annoyed that we didn't even lock down for the draw. Fair enough, they have a lot of quality going forward so it's conceivable (not acceptable) that they equalise if we don't take chances, and a point would've been an improvement from last season. But to fucking lose it from there [emoji38]

Not felt like this after a result for a long time. Managed to shake the Cup Final off after a sleep but this one still rankles.

We've lost from winning positions 4 times in the league under Howe. 3 of them were against Liverpool and of those we should have won 2. 1 was a robbery, and 1 we threw away.

It's ridiculous how much they seem to buck their own form and ours to beat us. They're well overdue the sort of battering we've dished out to most other teams and it 100% should have been yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We've lost from winning positions 4 times in the league under Howe. 3 of them were against Liverpool and of those we should have won 2. 1 was a robbery, and 1 we threw away.

It's ridiculous how much they seem to buck their own form and ours to beat us. They're well overdue the sort of battering we've dished out to most other teams and it 100% should have been yesterday.

This is it for me, even with 11 men we were the better team, the away game last season we were the better team, even at home after conceding over the top twice and losing the keeper, we were the better team. To play them 3 times and be the better team for the majority of the game and still lose all 3 is rage inducing torture.

You just know they'll now go and capitulate to Villa at home and make it even worse.

Come on, guys, it's been a fabulous ride this last 20 months. This is one that we just have to suck up and move on. We were a bit unlucky not to get a second goal - if that had happened, we could have relaxed a bit, but as it was, we became more nervous. They have players of the quality that can hurt you if you go off the boil. 

We're still a work in progress, and overall our squad isn't of the same standard as the likes of Liverpool. We've greatly over-achieved and yesterday we came unstuck. 

Klopp's touchline theatrics are difficult to take though.

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Klopp's touchline theatrics are difficult to take though

I think this is the only thing annoying me this morning, that slack jawed twat gurning on the touchline with his OTT chest thumping and gesticulating.

He deserves no satisfaction, he's a raging bellend.

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Come on, guys, it's been a fabulous ride this last 20 months. This is one that we just have to suck up and move on. We were a bit unlucky not to get a second goal - if that had happened, we could have relaxed a bit, but as it was, we became more nervous. They have players of the quality that can hurt you if you go off the boil. 

We're still a work in progress, and overall our squad isn't of the same standard as the likes of Liverpool. We've greatly over-achieved and yesterday we came unstuck. 

Klopp's touchline theatrics are difficult to take though.

Im all for looking at the bigger picture usually. But losing to Liverpool like this just pushes me over the edge. Let us wallow in self pity and needing someone to blame for a few days :D

Just to focus on the reason why we lost

Darwin Nunez vs. all PL teams except us (understat numbers)

1657 minutes 8 goals off 60 odd shots and 14.08 xG (minus 6 goals vs. xG)

Darwin Nunez vs. NUFC (two games)

72 minutes 3 goals off 4 shots and 0.79xG (plus 2.2 goals vs. xG)

Klopp only gave him 9 minutes, so hardly a tactical masterstroke. It was basically just a freak result.

One thing mystifying me is a large number of people trying to say that the Van Dijk challenge wasn’t a red.

It’s the clearest red I’ve seen forever, I can’t get my head around how it could be argued otherwise. If it had happened to Schar it wouldn’t even be a discussion point. 

My biggest frustration for yesterday is we stopped targeting TAA on a yellow. It was clear as day we needed to keep at him. Everything should have gone down that left side (Burn was regularly out of position however in defence. Perhaps Targett should have come on for him) with Gordon. And later Barnes should have come on for Miggy…

This isn’t the first time Howe has been far too conservative with timings of subs (and getting them wrong) - and I’m sure he’s reflecting on this today. 

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

My biggest frustration for yesterday is we stopped targeting TAA on a yellow. It was clear as day we needed to keep at him. Everything should have gone down that left side (Burn was regularly out of position however in defence. Perhaps Targett should have come on for him) with Gordon. And later Barnes should have come on for Miggy…

This isn’t the first time Howe has been far too conservative with timings of subs (and getting them wrong) - and I’m sure he’s reflecting on this today. 

I do agree with your point regarding TAA, we should have focused all of our attacks solely on his side and it is was a mistake not to do so. 

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

We never ever beat Liverpool when we had ASM either, let’s not start making him into this match winner now he’s left.

Bit unfair when he didn't play at anfield and he was man of the match last year in the home game 

Edited by Pancrate1892
Spelling

4 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

One thing mystifying me is a large number of people trying to say that the Van Dijk challenge wasn’t a red.

It’s the clearest red I’ve seen forever, I can’t get my head around how it could be argued otherwise. If it had happened to Schar it wouldn’t even be a discussion point. 

I thought it was a very good decision by the ref, because Van Dijk was very cute in the way he made it look like it was a genuine attempt at the ball. A lot of refs would have played safe and given the free kick outside the area.

The earlier one on Alexander-Arnold was one of those where a second yellow, by custom, has to be a more serious foul than the first one. I'm okay with that convention, and on this occasion a 50-50 decision went Liverpool's way.

I try and remind myself that whilst it's nice to lay a glove on the current top teams, it's beating the teams in and around us that will guarantee a solid finish again.

Could be an argument that LFC aren't currently in the very top teams, but they have undeniably top quality players who can punish you when you take your foot off.

Onto the next and put this shitshow behind us, no ill feeling to any of the players. Sure they're hurting after that.

5 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Give it a couple more transfer windows and we’ll be having these scouse rats for breakfast. 

This is it. I honestly think Liverpool are on the decline, where as we are on the way up. They are a shadow of the same club from even 2 seasons ago, and nothing so far suggests that they are going to improve.