Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 Newcastle United (02/09/23)

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, STM said:

That Liverpool defeat was an absolute uppercut man. No way we collapse like that if the week before hadn't happened.

Some of them are shot confidence wise. This is why we have a bench. I'd make half a dozen changes.

Pope

Tripper   Schar     Botman     Hall

Bruno

Tonali               Anderson

Murphy                              Barnes

Wilson

Press from the front. Don't feel sorry for anyone left out. Make them fight to get back in.

Crazy benching Gordon. 

Woof.

Howe really needs to take this on the chin. He's had a shocking start to the season.

I was hoping his post-match comments were just to keep dirty laundry in-house, but his actions betrayed that wishful thinking [emoji38]

That is another tragic loss, but in a different way to Liverpool. Newcastle made very simple things look incredibly difficult and Brighton were the polar opposite.

Those are three hard fixtures, but Newcastle have put in three very meek performances. I think it's also unlikely they'll ace the "should win" fixtures as effectively as they did last year. And if the aspirations are top 5, they're now very reliant on some substantial skidmark runs of form from other top sides.

Nick Pope looks frightened of his own shadow. Joelinton looks an utter liability/passenger rather than the midfield destroyer we enjoyed (is he injured?). The substitutes are puzzling, the game plans are naive, Isak hasn't looked sharp.

Joelinton and Isak should start on the bench next game.

Tonali has been a bright spot, but keeps getting hooked early.

1 minute ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Exactly. But don't be too surprised when they make a team about their level look shit. We of course played right into their hands to help them a bit, but I find it annoying how people undervalue Brighton ever damn year.

I think they are a good team, 100 percent, in just bitterly disappointed we weren’t competitive with them when they don’t have Caicedo or MacAllister. 

one of the worst, if not the worst performance under Howe that, second best all over the pitch.

Thought Tonali looked good, then got subbed off?! Isak should have burried that one Tonali put on a plate for him. Joelinton and Bruno look like they've not had a preseason.

3 massive PL matches coming up to get our season going now, and then 3 more winnable after that.

2 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Yeah I think that’s our only option, the midfield is porous right now, we are leaving huge gaps everywhere 

It's like we have completely lost our shape/discipline. Our biggest strength was that we were hard to score against and play through. 

To be honest, Burn cannot play centreback. I like the lad, but he is awful with the ball, and when Ferguson dropped from the line, Burn was too scared to follow. When we are playing with no no6, CB's have to step in. Lascelles did that when he came on.

There is so much to do for Howe. We will be in the top 6-8 again, but defensively we are nowhere near good enough.

1 minute ago, Klaus said:

It's like we have completely lost our shape/discipline. Our biggest strength was that we were hard to score against and play through. 

Yeah, it’s really weird, it all just looks totally unbalanced and a mess to me. I think Bruno’s regression is at least 50% tactical 

10 minutes ago, Beren said:

Woof.

Howe really needs to take this on the chin. He's had a shocking start to the season.

I was hoping his post-match comments were just to keep dirty laundry in-house, but his actions betrayed that wishful thinking [emoji38]

That is another tragic loss, but in a different way to Liverpool. Newcastle made very simple things look incredibly difficult and Brighton were the polar opposite.

Those are three hard fixtures, but Newcastle have put in three very meek performances. I think it's also unlikely they'll ace the "should win" fixtures as effectively as they did last year. And if the aspirations are top 5, they're now very reliant on some substantial skidmark runs of form from other top sides.

Nick Pope looks frightened of his own shadow. Joelinton looks an utter liability/passenger rather than the midfield destroyer we enjoyed (is he injured?). The substitutes are puzzling, the game plans are naive, Isak hasn't looked sharp.

Joelinton and Isak should start on the bench next game.

Tonali has been a bright spot, but keeps getting hooked early.

The Liverpool performance wasn't meek at all 

8 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

I think they are a good team, 100 percent, in just bitterly disappointed we weren’t competitive with them when they don’t have Caicedo or MacAllister. 

I do think eventually they're going to come unstuck ala Swansea, Southampton, Leicester etc, but them being a system team and being in the middle of a highly successful conveyor belt of players coming through means their players coming in are ready and were planned for.

It won't last forever imo.

1 minute ago, KingArthur said:

To be honest, Burn cannot play centreback. I like the lad, but he is awful with the ball, and when Ferguson dropped from the line, Burn was too scared to follow. When we are playing with no no6, CB's have to step in. Lascelles did that when he came on.

There is so much to do for Howe. We will be in the top 6-8 again, but defensively we are nowhere near good enough.

Naive to say we will finish 6-8, could easily finish below that, just look at Chelsea last season.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I do think eventually they're going to come unstuck ala Swansea, Southampton, Leicester etc, but them being a system team and being in the middle of a highly successful conveyor belt of players coming through means their players coming in are ready and were planned for.

Same yeah, it works until it doesn’t basically. Definitely impressive though. Ferguson is some boy, absolutely love him. 

5 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Not just defensively.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Maybe not. But they've certainly have been miles better than all you've mentioned but Leicester. And who knows where Leicester would have been if they didn't lose their owner in the helicopter crash?