Newcastle United 1-0 Brentford (16/09/23)

Disco

The pressing thing is interesting. I think we are picking our moments more with it.

Maybe because we have so many more games this season, and still not the strongest squad?

Not sure really, but with time, I'm sure we'll get the balance right.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

A tough match against a very physical side who defended spaces very well. Off you go, back to selling Afterdark cds down the quayside, Tommy toucher.

Hopefully that's a springboard match. I totally understand a need to conserve energy and switch up our play, but I hope our full press makes a return at some point because I really miss it and I think our style of play misses it too. 

I think our fans and Brentford will both agree that, as always, referee Craig Pawson, who always looks like he should be tossing a salad at the world's most boring, insuffably middle class dinner party, was absolutely fucking shit.

Pope: 6

Trippier: 7.5

Schar: 7.5

Botman: 7.5

Burn: 8

Bruno: 7

Anderson: 6

Longstaff: 5

Barnes: 6.5

Wilson: 8

Gordon: 7.5

5 for Longstaff....??? Other than the last-minute slip, he was good. broke up the play and covered the defence. We looked far less open in the middle and I'd say that's massively to do with his covering...

We just don’t look very dangerous! We swarmed all over teams last season but it feels a bit workmanlike at the moment. Good to see Bruno back to somewhere near his best and I’m looking forward to seeing Barnes and Gordon play when Tonali is in the middle.

Overall though, we need to improve by about 100% if we’re going to have another top 4/6 season

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I fucking loved that win. Wilson, man. He is ICE. And strong as fuck. I've never reached the levels of love for him cos Bruce era but I love him today. :lol:

Absolutely mad how dependable he is from the spot, like. And that hold up play, fucking hell. Won everything.

Wilson is great for this type of game and opponent. Was a real nuisance and loves a bit of a scrap and snide play.

Just now, Oregon_Geordie said:

5 for Longstaff....??? Other than the last-minute slip, he was good. broke up the play and covered the defence. We looked far less open in the middle and I'd say that's massively to do with his covering...

Yeah. He got caught on the ball or passed to Brentford 5 times that I noticed, leading to chances, a corner, and a free kick.

I thought he was in over his head throughout. 

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

We just don’t look very dangerous! We swarmed all over teams last season but it feels a bit workmanlike at the moment. Good to see Bruno back to somewhere near his best and I’m looking forward to seeing Barnes and Gordon play when Tonali is in the middle.

Overall though, we need to improve by about 100% if we’re going to have another top 4/6 season

Very little threat from centre midfield and RB/LB. Eveything seems to go through the wingers.

Edited by Displayname

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

there were periods last year where we didn’t look that threatening either. We got our act together consistently last third of the season but it took a little while to fully click

17 minutes ago, Smal said:

can’t believe how bad refs are at their jobs, like. Every week is horrendous.

They are all way past their prime, they can't read the game or keep up with play. As for VAR, they don't even seem to know the rules.

Started the game as a side who have had a 3 game humbling, however as the game went on it was all us and any attack from Brentford was snuffed out. It wasn't pretty but it was needed and gives us something to build off. 

Let's not forget we did that with a weakened team as we looked to save legs for Tuesday. 

Given the above circumstances and the result I'm happy with that performance.

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

Crossposting but think it needs to be posted here too for the most biased. :lol:

IMG_8510.thumb.jpeg.e3a1c7484896edc9bfedce02a1da3366.jpeg

Why are you posting a still image? [emoji38]

He hooks his arm after the punch. I can see where people could argue it was a foul like, if incredibly soft, but stuff like that happens all the time in set pieces which is why they raised the bar during them.

I thought Pawson got two of the major three decisions right. Wilson was using arm against the keeper, and there was clear contact on Gordon for the pen.

I thought the handball was 50-50. Sometimes they get given, sometimes not. 

Worst incident was Onyeka going down clutching his face. I didn't think there had been any contact in that area at all. It's bothered me a bit that players can get the game stopped just by holding their face like that, and I hope it doesn't catch on. 

Very relieved to get the win of course. We looked a bit more like our old selves in the second half.