Newcastle United 1-0 Brentford (16/09/23)

Disco

We got better as half went on but we were overall quite poor. They’re now on a few yellows, they can’t be quite as aggressive in second half.

But something seems to be missing. Not quite sure why Wilson and Isak can’t be on pitch at same time.

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Never said they were easy but if we have any aspirations of getting Champions’ League again then we should reasonably expect to dispatch these at home.

We're playing Longstaff and Anderson in midfield.

Expectations are great, but Brentford can be awkward customers.

Just hope we can get a result today.

Gordon really didn’t do anything to deserve any singled out praise. 

Off the ball movement is poor, seems like we are just looking at the player who has the ball. That combined with the lack of high press means we look disjointed and lacking in ideas. We created so much last season just by nicking the ball high up the pitch.

1 minute ago, SiLvOR said:

Just feel like Burn needs to start being phased out now. He's holding us back massively in an attacking sense, and defensively he's been asleep a few too many times now. Caveat here is I love the bloke

I read that as Bruno and nearly spat out my beer, as much as Burn does a job he sometimes just wins a header to the Brentford midfield.

3 minutes ago, Aiston said:

I'm going to beat this horse to death but, we need a creative midfielder.

We basically just try to create from the wing....with wingers that aren't made for it.

Aye, our wingers are good at running, not so much at crossing, especially when you have no one to cross too, no one on the overlap, and their defence is sat back. It’s very much like the Leicester game at the end of last season.

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

I read that as Bruno and nearly spat out my beer, as much as Burn does a job he sometimes just wins a header to the Brentford midfield.

If I ever say this shit about Bruno come and kick my head in

The first 20ish was sloppy but we’ve been fine since then, albeit lacking that creativity which is very hard to come by anyway against a low block of Brentford quality. I think we’ll get a goal from somewhere.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That wasn't too bad; very obviously a new forward line supported by a midfield lacking drive and creativity. The teams look pretty well-matched.

Safe to say my expectations have plummeted a fair bit in terms of this season. We don't have the surprise factor to blow teams like Brentford away.

Wilson and Schar have been very good. Barnes growing into it. 

We're not catching anyone by surprise anymore.

We're now top 4 Newcastle and teams are setting up to make things as difficult as possible for us now, based on what we had joy with last season.

It will take some adjustments from our side, but that will come.

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Man, this is so weak Flip :lol:

Chill. 

Only thing I suggested was that Tonali and Isak would improve is. Thought Longstaff looked poor on the ball and Barnes despite growing last five minutes didn’t do much. Believe the other two could offer more in the 2nd half. Not getting three points at home to Brentford is unacceptable.