AC Milan 0-0 Newcastle United (19/09/23)

Disco

Got a spring in me step today, like. That was such a good occasion and feel very proud of the lads for the result and for the doggedness of the performance. While we didn't threaten them as much as we would've liked, we clearly still tried to play aggressively and I don't think we were overawed by the occasion by any stretch. On the contrary, we faced a couple of onslaughts where the pitch seemed be on a slant towards our goal, but we didn't lose any defensive composure and clung onto a situation where even winning the game stayed a possibility.

Absolutely loads to build on from this in terms of how we perform in this competition. 

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Got a spring in me step today, like. That was such a good occasion and feel very proud of the lads for the result and for the doggedness of the performance. While we didn't threaten them as much as we would've liked, we clearly still tried to play aggressively and I don't think we were overawed by the occasion by any stretch. On the contrary, we faced a couple of onslaughts where the pitch seemed be on a slant towards our goal, but we didn't lose any defensive composure and clung onto a situation where even winning the game stayed a possibility.

Absolutely loads to build on from this in terms of how we perform in this competition. 

It was one of those performances that brings the squad and supporters closer together. I can only imagine the backing they were getting from our lot in the stands, but in the bar last night everyone was practically kicking and heading each and every ball away. :lol:

Could we have played better? Of course we could. Could we have put any more effort into the game? Absolutely not. And for that, I'm proud. 

As a first game in the CL group it probably doesn't come much tougher than an away trip to the San Siro. People will point to the fact that AC got stuffed against Inter at the weekend - well that could be viewed as a huge kick up the backside for AC.

Yes we were dominated for long periods, but we got a result.

A positive is that the players can only gain from that experience, they will have learnt so much.

HWTL.

26 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Feel the same, it was a great occasion and we worked our socks off. We are better than the football we played but hopefully we can learn from it and build. 

2 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Where  were our fans located last night? I thought behind the goal to the right, but just saw most of that stand in this clip and doesn't look like

Left of that clip behind that goal

Top tier

Edited by jack j

31 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Lots being made of the midfield again and there were a few passes that got in behind but that's football. Unless you sit in banks all the time then that space will exist and teams will find pockets on occasion. At one point, their RB roamed into an AM position and had a shot - that's canny hard to account for defensively.

Looking at the highlights, most of their best chances came from wide positions and set pieces. They put in a lot of crosses.

Milan didn’t look to exploit those areas much. Their wingers were wide and more interested in going 1v1 with our FBs. But they still found plenty of space there. 

We didn’t come to press so why didn’t we sit in a compact bank? We struggled to play through Liverpools 10 man bank because it was tight and compact. 

44 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I must be easily pleased me like. Plucky newcomers, Newcastle, caught like rabbits in a headlight but scrape a clean sheet and a point away to last season's semi finalists and annual contenders, AC Milan.

Buzzin me

I don't think that's lost on anyone tbf mate.

I'm simultaneously happy we've just taken a draw from the San siro in our first game, and disappointed that we looked really disjointed and lost even when it came to simple passes.

It's not exactly like Milan were peak Barca, they were actually very wasteful with the opportunities we gave them. 

Sure even you can admit we look a bit iffy atm. Thankfully the lads are determined and dug deep to take the draw in the end.

Look forward to our home match against them me.

It was quite reminiscencent of the Spurs and Arsenal games last season. We were shredded in the opening 20 minutes, but survived, tactically adjusted and found a way to nick a result from the game. In both of those games Son and Saka tore us apart in the opening exchanges.

It should be seen as a triumph and something to build on rather than a pant-shitting exercise.

Edited by The Prophet

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It was quite reminiscencent of the Spurs and Arsenal games last season. We were shredded in the opening 20 minutes, but survived, tactically adjusted and found a way to nick a result from the game. In both of those games Son and Saka tore us apart in the opening exchanges.

It should be seen as a triumph and something to build on rather than a pant-shitting exercise.

Indeed

Just another case of people forgetting themselves. Fucking buzzing with the point me and most people I know were as well

Reading twitter you'd think we'd got hammered 6 nowt

It shouldn’t be underestimated how rare away wins in the CL are.

Only two last night, one that doesn’t really count (Porto at Shakhtar), and Leipzig at Young Boys, who might be the weakest team in the tournament.

Man City won one away game in last season’s CL.

Just now, jack j said:

Indeed

Just another case of people forgetting themselves. Fucking buzzing with the point me and most people I know were as well

Reading twitter you'd think we'd got hammered 6 nowt

I totally understand the concerns about the lack of cohesion in attack. We're missing Willock and Joelinton, Tonali is taking a bit of time to learn his role and as a result the midfield looks a bit imbalanced. It's resulted in us struggling to effectively get the ball from back to front.

While it certainly reared its head yesterday, I'm not concerned. If us laymen have clocked it there's not a chance it's passed Howe and his team by and they aren't being proactive about it.

So while I'd liked to have seen us as more of an attacking threat, I'm still absolutely delighted with a point away to last season's semifinalists in a dogged, backs to the wall kind of way. If we can't enjoy these games we might as well pack it in as football fans.