LCR4: Manchester United vs. Newcastle United - 01/11/23 @ 20:15 (Sky Sports)

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I still don't have a clue how providing the fringe players with an opportunity and/or safeguarding our most frequently-featured players from injury or burnout = wanting to throw the game.

Like I said before, it's like no one watched the Man City game. I expect us to go to Old Trafford and be competitive regardless of the individuals selected. 

We can afford to make changes to the back four, no argument about that. But also resting the likes of Bruno & Longstaff? Might as well just give Man U a quick call and tell them they can just go straight through, without us making the trip down there.

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I still don't have a clue how providing the fringe players with an opportunity and/or safeguarding our most frequently-featured players from injury or burnout = wanting to throw the game.

Like I said before, it's like no one watched the Man City game. I expect us to go to Old Trafford and be competitive regardless of the individuals selected. 

Pope

Livra Lascelles Dummett Targett = pretty good

Willock  Someone Hall = not the worst

Someone Someone Ritchie = throwing it

Edit: I wouldn't even start Almiron either.

Edited by The College Dropout

Don't get all this talk of dead game etc. We've won nothing in 50 odd year and took this competition seriously last year and got to final. I know injuries and Europe play a factor but suggesting likes of Hall in midfield is never going to happen.

Howe will want to win this game and won't play a load of kids, esprcially with amount of fans there on the night.

19 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Don't get all this talk of dead game etc. We've won nothing in 50 odd year and took this competition seriously last year and got to final. I know injuries and Europe play a factor but suggesting likes of Hall in midfield is never going to happen.

Howe will want to win this game and won't play a load of kids, esprcially with amount of fans there on the night.

Hall played midfield against man city

13 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It's also worth noting that we beat City because the likes of Bruno were brought on after they played us off the park in the 1st half.

We also won because the no-hopers in the line-up made it to HT with the scores deadlocked and City's vulnerabilities exposed. If the game is there to be won after the break then I wouldn't object to someone like Gordon being brought on again this time, either. 

Tbh, even since the City game (which featured ten changes from the league game prior) we've lost five of those who started/came on. So any talk of ten changes again is pretty much a moot point anyway; certainly one of Wilson/Gordon will have to play. 

Only ones I would rest are Trippier, Burn and one of Gordon or Joelinton (with the other going up front). Other than that, it is just anyone else who has a knock of any variety that we may not know about. 

Bruno will have an enforced rest soon as well. Decent chance he gets booked at the weekend and will then miss the Bournemouth game so I would start him on Wednesday. 

5 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Lots of red cafe seem to want Bruno benched. Their match thread is just as exasperated as this one :lol:

Idiots. Though if Ten Hag is going to play him wide right again he may as well be benched.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'd mass rotate like.

The cup run last season was brilliant, but injuries and fatigue mean we should resting a few for this.

Even if we wanted to I don't think we could really mass rotate, certainly not in the front 6 positions 

Just now, The Prophet said:

Aye, those forward positions are a problem. Can we call any of the U21s up for this?

Parkinson plays up top, looked decent in pre-season and has scored a few for the reserves this season?

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Aye, those forward positions are a problem. Can we call any of the U21s up for this?

The following is the team that played against Everton on Sunday

Team: Brown, Wiggett, Scott, Savage (McArthur 81), Heffernan, Carlyon, Stephenson (Ndiweni 90+3), De Bolle, Parkinson (Crossley 81), Huntley, Diallo.
Subs n/u: C.Thompson, Harris.

Parkinson got some minutes during pre season and he looked okay but nowhere near ready to play at the top level, the rest are way behind and sadly not remotely close

Edited by Geordie Ahmed

51 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

We also won because the no-hopers in the line-up made it to HT with the scores deadlocked and City's vulnerabilities exposed. If the game is there to be won after the break then I wouldn't object to someone like Gordon being brought on again this time, either. 

Tbh, even since the City game (which featured ten changes from the league game prior) we've lost five of those who started/came on. So any talk of ten changes again is pretty much a moot point anyway; certainly one of Wilson/Gordon will have to play. 

If we'd stuck with the same eleven in the 2nd half we'd have lost that game.

I just think that it's essential that we put out a strong midfield for this one.

Just now, Wandy said:

If we'd stuck with the same eleven in the 2nd half we'd have lost that game.

I just think that it's essential that we put out a strong midfield for this one.

Currently just about our only midfield with Arsenal on Saturday.

9 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

And was way off pace. It's a tough one with injuries but this is still a great chance of another final if we get through

I will be amazed if he doesn't play on Wednesday