LCR4: Manchester United vs. Newcastle United - 01/11/23 @ 20:15 (Sky Sports)

I know why he's picked this team but it just feels like it could be a massive missed opportunity if we don't win. A win would mean both Manchester teams, Spurs and Villa already out (Arsenal losing).

What a great chance that would be to get our first domestic trophy since 1955!

9 minutes ago, midds said:

Frustrated that we couldn't put out a better team against this lot but it's completely understandable. The League Cup was always going to be the lowest priority this season and the line-up definitely reflects that. Man U will win at a canter thus relieving a little of the pressure on ten Hag and we'll look ahead to bigger and better games in the next few weeks. It is what it is

Totally agree with 99% of your post but I’m not even frustrated- just meh.

3 minutes ago, Irish Magpie said:

Astonishing the amount of Stockholm Syndrome from the Ashley/Bruce years. I have no problem with the selected team - you have to consider each and every one of them are drilled in Howe's system by now and will be condiderably better than anything they could have produced under Bruce. Also the disrespect for Ritchie, is he top level?, of course not but he has tons of experience and heart and he's a leader.

Man U to self-destruct through Anthony.

Ritchie has shed loads of experience, you’re right. But he’s also experienced in being a bit shite. What role are we expecting him to perform? 

13 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I’d be pretty pissed off if I was one of the 7k who have gone down there and saw that starting line up. The game could be over by half time.

Bollocks man

It's the 7k fans job to stand and sing their bollocks off for 90 minutes

Most of them would (should unless they're JCL'S )have watched far worse 11s than that in their time

6 minutes ago, Jonas said:

So that's just Lee, Albert, Howey, Sellars, Fox  and Peacock missing from a squad smaller than we have now.

Bracewell too. He'd have played before Clark.

Clark, Watson and obviously Mathie, Nielson and Jeffrey were not first team players then and how many of those players were out of position that did play?

I was there and cant remember where Beardsley played or Jeffrey, but clearly neither up front.

Craic was we'd done the hard bit and by the replay they had the injuries, but won.

Edited by Wolfcastle

4 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Under :pardsgrin: did we not put a team out like this and beat Man City away? 

Sure this happened 

What I remember most from these days was playing Liverpool with Perch-Williamson in the back, keeping a clean sheet and sending big AC crying down the tunnel. [emoji38]

Just now, jack j said:

Bollocks man

It's the 7k fans job to stand and sing their bollocks off for 90 minutes

Most of them would (should unless they're JCL'S )have watched far worse 11s than that in their time

And I’m one of those who have watched far worse and still got behind the team wildly. Think Derby away in 1992. I’d still be shouting myself hoarse tonight too,  despite being unhappy with the team selected. But it would be singing in defiance, not expectation. That team is simply too much of a gamble for me.

5 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Totally agree with 99% of your post but I’m not even frustrated- just meh.

The frustration comes from the fact we have so many injuries and tired legs that we have virtually no choice but to put out that XI against a team that's already under a huge amount of pressure. Had we been able to name a much better line-up then I think they'd be there for the taking. 

They'd probably say the same though tbh. Meh, whatever happens will happen