West Ham United 2-2 Newcastle United (08/10/23)

BlueStar

Just now, gbandit said:

Sounds like we’ve been very flat. Understandable given midweek and the injuries we’ve got. Surprised by people criticising Anderson fairly heavily. We’ve already seen him play some lovely stuff for us in other matches 

I think West Ham's system is the main reason we look flat.

Need to switch things up. 4-2-3-1 with Isak in the hole. Would consider binning Burn too and getting some more quality from LB.

Think we need ball carriers. Murphy on, Isak left and Wilson up top. As much as I think he will come good, Sandro can come off. Would also be tempted to throw on hall for Burn.

Very flat first half.

Difficult to mentally transition from counterpunching to being the team that has to break down a team looking to play on the counter.

Isak having to drop too deep, no one in the box. Chuck on Wilson to play up top with him IMO.

Thats kind of the exact performance I was expecting to be honest. We look mentally and physically tired, which is causing us to be quite labored in attack, that coupled with the fact that they're sitting deep, which we tend to struggle against, it was also going to be a tough afternoon.

I like Anderson, but its not been his day, would swap him for Wilson, as we started to look a little better once Isak went onto the left. 

Lascelles and especially Schar have been gesticulating a lot asking where the pass is into midfield - both Tonali and Longstaff are marked and Bruno's too far forward too.

Either our defensive line needs to push up closer to half-way when in possession, or our midfield needs to drop deeper. There's too much space between the two right now when we have the ball.

The change for me is Wilson for Tonali, Tonali's been completely off the pace. We can drop Anderson into Tonali's slot and leave Isak wide, he's looked effective so far as an outlet since he switched out that way.