Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund (25/10/23)

Yorkie

1 hour ago, JP said:

A point was probably fair result, considering they played well and we were slightly below our par.

I was disappointed with our final ball in the final third, so many times we got someone in the 'pocket' running at their back 4 with options either side and we didn't get the final ball right/held onto it too long etc. I'd say there was 5-10 occasions that fell into this bracket and we're normally pretty clinical from them.

Referee was poor, for both sides. Wilson not getting a free kick when the guy was literally kegging him a highlight.

Agree 100% about the final ball. Regularly ran it straight into defenders and just made no choice about what pass to make. Then over or under hit a good number of passes that weren’t exactly difficult.

Hoping it was just the conditions and the frantic nature of the game at times. As it was frustrating as fuck to watch.  

30 minutes ago, wormy said:

Not to get all football friendsy but they do seem like good eggs outside of giving me a God damn headache with those drums.

Good few of them in The Strawberry after the match, no bother, no acting the big bollocks, just footy fans having a crack on with the opposition.

9 hours ago, McCormick said:

Dortmund were very good tactically but player-wise they aren’t anything special. I wouldn’t swap their squad for ours at all. I see a very beatable team home or away.

Quite fancy us away to Dortmund; much more than at PSG. Eddie will want tactical revenge and he’s just the man to get it. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

4 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Quite fancy us away to Dortmund; much more than at PSG. Eddie will want tactical revenge and he’s just the man to get it. 

We'll be at it when away against them, much like Man United at home.  I watched the whole game back today and we should have won (nothing against Dortmund, I think they were spot on tactically).  It was just one of those days.  We started crap again as we do after such intense performances but we had so many chances.  We can be better though.  We struggle with the amount of games.  It's almost like in some games they are told to keep it a bit less intense in the first half in pressing and intensity to save energy for the 2nd half which has worked in some games.  We need a squad capable of competing but also Eddie needs to start letting Livramento have a start despite how ridiculously good Trippier has been, Why does Dan Burn start every game, I love him but I don't see a significant drop off when Targett is on the pitch. The best team isn't always the best team on paper and Livramento looks class.  It's going to be harder now with the injuries.  

We looked very open defensively last night, masterclass from Dortmund getting in behind Burn and Trippier frequently in 1st half.

Well drilled outfit much in the mirror image of ourselves,  thought they out gunned us in midfield first half and Joelinton was exposed technically.

They got at our back 4 far to easily, last night was a game we missed having an out and out defensive midfielder for me.

Saying all that we absolutely deserved a point in the end.

3 hours ago, Smal said:

decent analysis of what was good/bad last night in this thread.

The Pope double save chance and their goal are almost identical.

I don't think anyone could argue Dortmund didn't deserve to go in 1-0 up. What I would question is their decision to sit on a single-goal lead, given that it allowed us the Wilson chance and two chances that hit the woodwork. They did not shut it down well enough to confidently state that their win was fully deserved. 

If we ever decide to sit on a one-goal lead for a half a game, I hope we defend it better than they did here.

5 minutes ago, duo said:

I am more gutted about the injuries we go than the result.

dont know what kind of team we'll play at manu in the cup.

wilson def wont be risked.

Edited by huss9