Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

The only one I could see where they were coming from was the ‘push’ from Joelinton. But it’s a coming together and then a swan dive from Gabriel. It’s less of a foul watching it back again with all the angles. 

They were correct to say ‘nothing that warrants him going down like that’ or words to that effect. He just flopped. 

Mental that so many fans don’t understand the clear and obvious bit, still. 

54 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

2:25 is the best angle of Gabriel throwing himself forward. 

There’s also one I’ve seen that was taken from the Gallowgate around lower/mid tier that showed Joelinton did nothing other than basically rest his arms on Gabriel.

2 hours ago, TheHoob said:

It took fucking ages but looking at the process I think they were actually pretty speedy given the amount of things to check [emoji38]

I think that decision, in terms of accuracy, speed and conscientiousness is possibly the best VAR I've ever seen. You could not ask any more of the people involved.

Which is a bad sign because it still made things a shit experience.

I'd say after listening to the depth they went to, and to cover so much in that time, they did a good job. 

The thing that Arteta should complain over, is Gabriel. Seems clear now listening, that what has convinced them it's not a foul, is the fact he's flung himself just from the contact from Joelinton. 

The rest is down to the balls loss in visibility, meaning they can't rule the goal out based on it not being conclusive that Gordon was offside.

Glad it's been laid to bed.

I'm not trying to be contrary, I honestly just think it's a huge pile of pedantic crap. Forget Arteta and the obscene amount of discourse over it - all of those issues were clearly borderline at worst and the on-field officials called all of them correctly in an instant... but we have to wait four minutes for the true arbiters to give their permission to crack on with the bloody match. 

I'm not being critical of the VAR guys themselves; I agree that they implemented their directive for major officiating overkill with total accuracy.

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm not being critical of the VAR guys themselves; I agree that they implemented their directive for major officiating overkill with total accuracy.

That's the key, unfortunately. It's a cultural problem. People are actually asking for the game to be like this, whether they realise it or not.

And yet the Arsenal supporters and that nonce Mark Goldbridge still crying in the face of incontrovertible evidence the right call was made.

There was no solid evidence to overrule the onfield decision therefore it cannot be overruled. What do they want PGMOL to start doing guess work and imparting opinion on decisions? That would last about 5 seconds before that was a "fix".