Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Newcastle United (07/11/23)

Yorkie

To put it in very crude terms, I think Dortmund have simply shown us what it is to be a seasoned Champions League team. Another deflating loss but I'm not going to moan at our players or Howe's approach. They gave it what they could.

From the youth perspective I'm absolutely delighted to see no matter where he gets thrown in Tino looks like a fucking Don. Hall didn't look bad and that early yellow was a joke which I'm never blaming him for. Nice to see Miley get some minutes and didn't look glaringly out of place.

The half time changes really did give me hope but they just had more than us.

Just give me a Europa run, please. 

Guys look tired. Dortmund clearly deserved to win. Just more technical quality on the ball than anything.

Hopefully a good experience for some of our young players.

Thought Tino impressed again & was our best players, particularly at fullback, which I think suits him better than winger.

Edited by Checko

Just now, Kanji said:

Can someone explain the Europa league thing again 

Finish 3rd and we go into it. First up would be a play-off two-legger against one of those who finish 2nd in a Europa group.

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

Can someone explain the Europa league thing again 

Finish 3rd in the CL group you go into the first round of the knockouts in the Europa. Think you draw a team that finished second in their group but that bit may be outdated knowledge. 

It is what it is, we looked good after the PSG result but Dortmund brought us back down to earth with back to back humblings. Extremely organised, great passing ability and speed and they play those triangles so well. Not impressed with the tactical fouling and lack of punishment and they were lucky at times with the 2nd bounce but overall they deserved the win.

We're decimated by injuries and playing a game every 3 to 4 days, something has to give. This is our first year back after 20 years absence, we'll be back and we'll be better.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They just got larruped at the weekend.  Being a German international isn’t what it once was, either. 

They got beat by maybe the best team in Europe [emoji38] Wake up man.

We are missing so many key players and even with full squad we are not as good as Dortmund. People should just accept that. Not many of our players get in to that team.

1 minute ago, duo said:

If we don't qualify for CL - I want us to gan home.  Our squad is just battered - we need what we have left to focus on the league.

Knockouts only start at the end of February, could have everyone back bar Tonali by then.

Gutted, obviously. But we will have learnt a lot tonight, and it will be an important step in our journey. Can't wait to see how we match up against these teams in a few years. The future is very bright with the likes of Tino.

CL campaign was always just a bonus. We got the group of death on our first time back in 20 years. I think the players will learn a lot from these matches. As people have said, the most important thing is to keep coming back every year. It took Man City 14 years to build a squad capable of winning the whole competition, and that was with the advantage of not being hamstrung by FFP in the early days.

What a shit game. Some really poor performances from Trippier, Bruno and Longstaff. Best players haven’t turned up in either game against these and now CL looks almost over for the year. Hopefully we can at least beat AC Milan and keep our European journey alive post Christmas. 

Just now, KingArthur said:

They got beat by maybe the best team in Europe [emoji38] Wake up man.

We are missing so many key players and even with full squad we are not as good as Dortmund. People should just accept that. Not many of our players get in to that team.

Honestly, I don’t think this Dortmund side are any great shakes.  Injuries, tiredness, inexperience and horrendous weather in the home match have as much to do with the results as anything 

2 minutes ago, doublecrown said:

Just about any CL team missing 8 first team starters is going to struggle in a CL game - even Man City wouldn't have an easy time of it. In the shape we're in at the moment, I'd just be happy if we can tread water and stay in the top half of the Premier League.

That’s the spirit old chap.