Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Newcastle United (07/11/23)

Yorkie

They know exactly what they’re doing, to be fair. Every medium - long range pass is aimed right between our defence and midfield and they got a lot of joy from it first half hour. You need a bit of luck or extra quality against teams like this and without Isak up top that leaves good fortune.

One of my pet hates in football is full backs on the wing/wide forward. Such a different role attacking from deep to playing in forward areas of the pitch. 

I know we're going forced here with injuries so I don't blame Eddie too much.

1 minute ago, Sandro Tonali said:

Eddie set us up to frustrate, we dropped deep and let them play, shouldnhave been after them and played on their weak confidence...he got it wrong....he is not infallible. We are much better when we go hell for leather. I bet we see a different second half

Maybe if you'd controlled your betting habits we'd be in a position to do that.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

One of my pet hates in football is full backs on the wing/wide forward. Such a different role attacking from deep to playing in forward areas of the pitch. 

I know we're going forced here with injuries so I don't blame Eddie too much.

Livramento started his career as a winger to be fair, so it isn’t alien to him.

Dortmund aren't near the best team we've played the last year, but we seem to struggle against them the most.... Sure Howe will get lots out of this no matter how the tie goes 

F'ing hope we do something this half mind

Overall general thoughts:

1. We can't press as intensively because of injuries/schedule/top teams are better as passing through it.

2. We need more top technical skill in the midfield. Struggle to move it quickly and not enough urgency. When we can't make chances buy winning the ball high up the pitch we struggle.

3. They get more players in supporting their striker. Our striker is usually very isolated and I don't think I've seen Wilson retain posession since palace.

4. Feel like most things good have come through Joelinton

5. Generally we look short of ideas on the ball resorting to low % long straight balls forward.

6. Please buy an elite playmaker.

7. Hopefully we've been pacing ourselves a little and pick it up next half

Just now, jack j said:

The criticism of trippier is starting to get tiresome

Every time we are in trouble we pass to trippier. Nee wonder the bloke makes the odd mistake

I think he had a bad half. I've not criticised him this year I don't think.

Just now, reefatoon said:

Livramento started his career as a winger to be fair, so it isn’t alien to him.

I think this is a myth. When I looked it up (it was claimed on some blog) he'd played almost exclusively at full back or wing back in a 5 throughout youth and reserve level. Again being a wing back massively different role to be a wide forward.

And even if he had played there - it would be clear that he's moved back for a reason to best exploit his attributes. He needs to be running into space not receiving it in forward areas.

Just now, Doctor Zaius said:

Livramento at right wing doesn't work like. Clearly looks like a right back who isn't sure how to play there 

Thought he had some nice moments. Needs the ball into feet more and he can do some damage.

2 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Dortmund aren't near the best team we've played the last year, but we seem to struggle against them the most.... Sure Howe will get lots out of this no matter how the tie goes 

F'ing hope we do something this half mind

They aren’t even the best team we have played this week.

we just need to be patient. The ball over the top into the channel between their RB and CB looks like it could work for us.

Almiron on would help us a lot too. We can’t threaten down there at the moment.