Bournemouth 2-0 Newcastle United (11/11/23)

Yorkie

11 hours ago, The Prophet said:

If you want to unpick it...

Both full backs were sloppy on the ball.

There wasn't enough trust in Miley from the defence. 

The midfield was nonexistent off the ball. 

There was no focal point.

When we did press, it looked disjointed.

...but clearly almost all of that has been caused by injuries and fatigue.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but it sort of is the case.

Bournemouth took advantage of it in a way few others would in the bottom half of the table and I doubt we were prepared for them to take the game to us like they did. It felt like us vs Arsenal a couple seasons back.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

I do think we need to evolve to a place where there’s another way of playing when intensity is lacking for whatever reason. Watching Longstaff and Joelinton play with tired legs yesterday was painful. 

We need more technical players imo, players comfortable keeping possession.

10 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but it sort of is the case.

Bournemouth took advantage of it in a way few others would in the bottom half of the table and I doubt we were prepared for them to take the game to us like they did. It felt like us vs Arsenal a couple seasons back.

Nah, it wasn't sarcasm. There was clearly an unfamiliarity amongst the players that contributed to the lack of cohesion, as well as a few of them being quite obviously out on their feet.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Agree with this, the next evolution is this but it’ll take years. Tino is that type of player, Bruno obviously is. I think Miley could be that player but let’s see how he develops

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

This indeed, starting with a GK that doesn’t panic every time the ball goes near him on the ground. The defenders just don’t have to confidence to go back to him which limits their options at times. 

15 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Fucking hell, mate, are you doing this on every thread?

If by every thread you mean two threads, then yes. 

I've attributed a lot of our form this season to injuries and have been laughed at because we've spent big in recent windows (despite those players all being injured). To see so many of you using injuries as an excuse for getting comprehesively beaten by Bournemouth, it's properly grinded my gears. You're not plucky Newcastle anymore. You've spent over £400m under your new owners and finished fourth last year. So by your own rationale when criticising Manchester United, you don't have an excuse for the loss yesterday. Your front three of Joelinton, Gordon and Almiron cost the same as Bournemouth's entire starting 11.

Trippier going over and arguing with your own fans as well and using injuries as an excuse. Be completely honest with yourself when answering this question; if we just lost to Bournemouth and it was Bruno Fernandes doing that, what would the response be on here? "What a shit excuse for a captain." "Arguing with his own fans man :lol:" "Manchester United is a circus." You know fine rightly not one person would be praising him for his "courage" and "passion".

Will of course receive a ton of flak for this post, but it rings true. You don't get to have one rule for your rivals and another for yourselves. If injuries can affect you they can affect other teams as well.

It will be fascinating to see how Howe evolves the first eleven.

One area of development is definetly the forward line. They're very well coached off the ball, but on it there's often a lack of cohesion. Isak tends to knit it together a bit more, but Gordon is still a bit raw in that regard and Almiron is ridiculously one-footed. The team looks strong as a left hand side and right hand side, but the forwards often look isolated from each other.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

More technical players will come in time; we need technical players who can play at our intensity level. 

Do we even play with that much intensity now? The level of our press feels like it dropped off towards the end of last season and hasn’t been anywhere near that level since, apart from Gordon and Almiron in the wide areas.

We do need better technical players but we also need to sort the midfield shape out, as I can’t think of another top team that plays a flat midfield three and prefer a double pivot with an attacking midfielder linking up with the striker.

You notice against the better teams who are prepared to come out and match us how isolated the striker is and that we still leave space for an intelligent player to drop in between our midfield and defence.

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I've attributed a lot of our form this season to injuries and have been laughed at because we've spent big in recent windows (despite those players all being injured). To see so many of you using injuries as an excuse for getting comprehesively beaten by Bournemouth, it's properly grinded my gears. You're not plucky Newcastle anymore. You've spent over £400m under your new owners and finished fourth last year. So by your own rationale when criticising Manchester United, you don't have an excuse for the loss yesterday. Your front three of Joelinton, Gordon and Almiron cost the same as Bournemouth's entire starting 11.

Trippier going over and arguing with your own fans as well and using injuries as an excuse. Be completely honest with yourself when answering this question; if we just lost to Bournemouth and it was Bruno Fernandes doing that, what would the response be on here? "What a shit excuse for a captain." "Arguing with his own fans man :lol:" "Manchester United is a circus." You know fine rightly not one person would be praising him for his "courage" and "passion".

Will of course receive a ton of flak for this post, but it rings true. You don't get to have one rule for your rivals and another for yourselves. If injuries can affect you they can affect other teams as well.

Genuine question, if is moaning about our injuries “grinds your gears” why come on a Newcastle forum, in our match thread to read about it ?

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I think the key difference is that this is a Newcastle United forum populated by people with a deep understanding of Newcastle United. I’m not really sure why you’re expecting anything else. I understand you’re well thought of on here, and rightly so- and the post above is excellent- but you appear to be expecting an impartial and balanced approach to Man Utd on a forum dedicated to one of their rivals, which is just entitled frankly. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Genuine question, if is moaning about our injuries “grinds your gears” why come on a Newcastle forum, in our match thread to read about it ?

It's not much the moaning about injuries, it's the bubble in which you don't seem to think it can affect other clubs. By other clubs I mean my club, hence why I'm reading about it and responding to it.

I know injuries can affect a side. I know your injuries are now crippling, and are the reason why you were so poor yesterday. I know injuries are a huge reason why we've been so poor this season, but when I've tried to suggest it, I've been scoffed at. That's my issue.

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Do we even play with that much intensity now? The level of our press feels like it dropped off towards the end of last season and hasn’t been anywhere near that level since, apart from Gordon and Almiron in the wide areas.

We do need better technical players but we also need to sort the midfield shape out, as I can’t think of another top team that plays a flat midfield three and prefer a double pivot with an attacking midfielder linking up with the striker.

You notice against the better teams who are prepared to come out and match us how isolated the striker is and that we still leave space for an intelligent player to drop in between our midfield and defence.

I mean yes, but we are unable to right? We have so many injuries so we can’t rotate, we can’t rotate means everyone is knackered. It’s a vicious cycle. 

We have an unprecedented (for us) crisis in terms of player availability, given this it’s extremely difficult to draw any conclusions. This factor has basically made me reevaluate my expectations in terms of both performance and league placement.

I’ll be over the moon if we can get back into Europe next season. it’s simply not possible to compete at the same level as we did last season with the extra games we have and the amount of players we have unavailable. 

1 minute ago, Hovagod said:

I think the key difference is that this is a Newcastle United forum populated by people with a deep understanding of Newcastle United. I’m not really sure why you’re expecting anything else. I understand you’re well thought of on here, and rightly so- and the post above is excellent- but you appear to be expecting an impartial and balanced approach to Man Utd on a forum dedicated to one of their rivals, which is just entitled frankly. 

Likewise this post is excellent, because it has the admission that the views on us are prejudiced and imbalanced which is sometimes all I need to hear. :lol:

Despite us being rivals, Newcastle is a great club that I have a ton of respect for. I genuinely sympathise with the injuries. There's just a small bit a validation when I see the realisation amongst your fanbase that injuries like this are incredible difficult to deal with. 

Isn’t it that Froggy was complaining about injuries as an excuse for their poor performances as they were not able to put out their best eleven before the Champions League had even got going?

Where as the moans with injuries on here are down to the state of the bench we could put out for Bournemouth and not being able to change an already exhausted team from Dortmund midweek.

Although as Supertoon says, if it grinds your gears then why come on here and read it?

Edited by Matt1892

Just now, Hovagod said:

All teams would be affected by eleven absentees, along with arguably there three best players missing. Whether it's Man City or Luton Town.

It has affected Man United too. The key difference between the clubs is we've had four transfer windows to beef up a threadbare squad within FFP restrictions, Man United have had decades of chucking hundreds of millions of pounds and daft wages at players unchecked. Their back-ups consist of £80 million Maguire, £30 million Lindelof, £85 million Antony and £55 million Mount, plus youth and academy products they've had the time and money to scout and develop.

Yes Man United are currently a hot mess under the Glazer's and to an extent I'm sympathetic to it, but the situations aren't really comparable. Rightly or wrongly a Man United fan will probably get little slack on an opposing forum because they've thrown such huge amounts of money at the problem. How and why they've spent that money is a different debate entirely of course.

12 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It's not much the moaning about injuries, it's the bubble in which you don't seem to think it can affect other clubs. By other clubs I mean my club, hence why I'm reading about it and responding to it.

I know injuries can affect a side. I know your injuries are now crippling, and are the reason why you were so poor yesterday. I know injuries are a huge reason why we've been so poor this season, but when I've tried to suggest it, I've been scoffed at. That's my issue.

I'd say there's a bit if a difference when you're first and second choices are injured and your squad is smaller to start with because you've only really been a serious functioning football club for 2yrs as opposed to one that's bullied the footballing world (by which I mean off the pitch)  for decades.

6 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Likewise this post is excellent, because it has the admission that the views on us are prejudiced and imbalanced which is sometimes all I need to hear. :lol:

Despite us being rivals, Newcastle is a great club that I have a ton of respect for. I genuinely sympathise with the injuries. There's just a small bit a validation when I see the realisation amongst your fanbase that injuries like this are incredible difficult to deal with. 

Dont really get the point that Newcastle finished 4th. Yes, but 3 big teams had a truly shit season and Newcastle was not suffering from Europe. Manchester United is the most successful team in the last 20 years in England, has spent billions in players in last 10 years, and are commercially in totally different league. 

ManU fans have really lowered their expectations when home losses to Galatasaray, Newcastle and Crystal Palace seem to be accepted these days. 

7 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Isn’t it that Froggy was complaining about injuries as an excuse for their poor performances as they were not able to put out their best eleven before the Champions League had even got going?

Where as the moans with injuries on here are down to the state of the bench we could put out for Bournemouth and not being able to change an already exhausted team from Dortmund midweek.

Although as Supertoon says, if it grinds your gears then why come on here and read it?

We've been complaining about injuries from pretty much the start of the season. 

I don't feel like I have to keep justifying why I'm on this board reading opinions. I've been here for 13 years. I'm replying to something specifically related to us. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Their back-ups consist of £80 million Maguire, £30 million Lindelof, £85 million Antony and £55 million Mount,

All of which have been injured or suspended at various points of the season. :lol: They've probably missed about 20 games between them.

The money spent on past investments is also a sticking point for me. We're laughed at because of how bad Maguire is and how he should never be playing for us, yet when we're forced to play him we should be happy because he cost £80m. :lol: You can't have it both ways. Lindelof has been playing as a full back. 

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I'd say there's a bit if a difference when you're first and second choices are injured and your squad is smaller to start with because you've only really been a serious functioning football club for 2yrs as opposed to one that's bullied the footballing world (by which I mean off the pitch)  for decades.

You're run 10x better than us though. All things considered you're a much better club than us right now in everywhere except commercially. A lot can change in two years.

3 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

ManU fans have really lowered their expectations when home losses to Galatasaray, Newcastle and Crystal Palace seem to be accepted these days.

Who has accepted it? Poor play can partly be attributed to the injuries we've had, but I wouldn't call some of the defeats acceptable. 

For all we may be run better it takes more than two years to catch up, especially squad wise. Even more so with the restrictions placed on us, restrictions that certain clubs pressed for out of fear for their own positions.

38 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Agree with this, the next evolution is this but it’ll take years. Tino is that type of player, Bruno obviously is. I think Miley could be that player but let’s see how he develops

Yeah I totally agree with this - it takes time - we are victims at the moment of our own success - another ball playing midfielder is a must in the summer, give Miley time to develop physically and gain experience.

We simply give away too much cheap possession - it’s fine when you don’t have other cups to play and can rest in between - but when the schedule is packed, you are going to feel it physically