Newcastle United vs AC Milan - 13/12/23 @ 20:00 (TNT Sports)

Paully

Think we'll play well tonight and fairly confident we'll win.  It'll be the easiest team talk of Howe's season, how this is the kind of moment we fought all last season for.

We obviously can't control what happens in the PSG game but have to hope Dortmund are motivated to win the group.

51 minutes ago, Dan Gleebals said:

Strange as we are already in the CL but get the question.  For me we were never going to with the CL, so it was all about elevating the club to this level, bring in much needed additional revenue (FFP), and ultimately attract higher level players as we move forwards and grow…

Sorry, should have clarified, I’m Spurs.

There’s something of a connection in that we’re both clearly heading in the right direction and I think we’re both happy with our management (more or less). As a result, I don’t feel like missing out on one more year of the CL at this point is disastrous. The missing revenue sucks, but our squad isn’t ready yet and could stand another year of development.

But just imagine winning a trophy. The togetherness that fosters, the monkey off the back, the “winning”. It won’t put off Arsenal or Liverpool supporters, they’ll just move the goalposts. Just speaking personally, this is the first year in ages where I’ve started the season thinking that winning a trophy is far more important.

43 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Getting into the champions league isn't comparable to winning  trophy like. Would take a league or FA cup over that any day.

I agree, given the choice at the beginning of the season, I would take a cup win, and still would this season if dropping out of Europe helps us achieve that.

I was at the final last season, to have won it would have been incredible and geting to another final and winning would be incredible - absolutelly no doubts about that. 

Reality is though, the biggest clubs with the resources they have, historically win the cups.  Whilst we might be the richest club on paper, we all know the constraints we are under.  So if CL or European football allow us to accellerate the growth of the team, it is hard to ignore the benefits of being in the competition, even if that impacts our ability to win the cup this season.

Just now, Dan Gleebals said:

I agree, given the choice at the beginning of the season, I would take a cup win, and still would this season if dropping out of Europe helps us achieve that.

I was at the final last season, to have won it would have been incredible and geting to another final and winning would be incredible - absolutelly no doubts about that. 

Reality is though, the biggest clubs with the resources they have, historically win the cups.  Whilst we might be the richest club on paper, we all know the constraints we are under.  So if CL or European football allow us to accellerate the growth of the team, it is hard to ignore the benefits of being in the competition, even if that impacts our ability to win the cup this season.

This 100% champions league runs are soon forgotten really but a cup win think the memories would last a life time. Also think developing a winners mentality would be massive for us going forward.

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

Sorry, should have clarified, I’m Spurs.

There’s something of a connection in that we’re both clearly heading in the right direction and I think we’re both happy with our management (more or less). As a result, I don’t feel like missing out on one more year of the CL at this point is disastrous. The missing revenue sucks, but our squad isn’t ready yet and could stand another year of development.

But just imagine winning a trophy. The togetherness that fosters, the monkey off the back, the “winning”. It won’t put off Arsenal or Liverpool supporters, they’ll just move the goalposts. Just speaking personally, this is the first year in ages where I’ve started the season thinking that winning a trophy is far more important.

Ah, makes sense now :).  

Absolutely. Winning something would trump it all, however you get there! 

47 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Likewise.  I’m a football fan not an accountant.  Clubs tend to spunk the European Cup money windfall quite quickly tbh - often unwisely.  I’d take a cup over the ability to sign a better right winger next season. 

You can’t predict the future - who knows, perhaps that cup is the only one we win.  Or perhaps I get hit by a bus in July.  Fuck knows.  Give me a trophy any day. 

Haha yeah that's the way I look it it also, who knows what could happen. Saudis fuck off, sanctions, other teams over take us and we go through having another good team thinking what could have been and wishing we'd won something. 

11/4 on Dortmund seems fucking huge price. Dortmund's home record in the Champions League is amazing right? They have a big incentive to get top of the group and PSG likely has to win to qualify, I'm really surprised at that price. 

1 hour ago, Interpolic said:

Think we'll play well tonight and fairly confident we'll win.  It'll be the easiest team talk of Howe's season, how this is the kind of moment we fought all last season for.

We obviously can't control what happens in the PSG game but have to hope Dortmund are motivated to win the group.

Going to be gutting if we play brilliantly win, and don't go through 

5 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

That's the nightmare scenario, because we would drop out of the CL specifically because of that penalty decision, during those bizarrely added minutes.

It would be especially infuriating because both professional and armchair pundits are not likely to remember it or give us any sympathy.

12 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Maybe I'll have a different opinion post-match but if this happened I think that feeling will quickly be replaced by excitement at the prospect of a deep Europa run with some luck of the draw and fitness. It's not 'face Real/Bayern etc' levels of excitement but should still be proper fun.

Edited by wormy

2 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

League Cup This year

Whatever European competition we are in next year

FA Cup the following year

League

Champions League

I want to win things in the right order

you forgot the NETD cup.