Newcastle United vs AC Milan - 13/12/23 @ 20:00 (TNT Sports)

Paully

32 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Under 19s vs Milan U19s on TNT Sports 2 now.

Our under 19s are comically bad on this evidence [emoji38]

What level of English football do our youth teams play at? Second tier or something?

41 minutes ago, Stottie said:

That's the nightmare scenario, because we would drop out of the CL specifically because of that penalty decision, during those bizarrely added minutes.

It would be especially infuriating because both professional and armchair pundits are not likely to remember it or give us any sympathy.

I actually think if we win tonight and don’t go through the narrative will be all about that penalty. But hopefully we don’t get to find out.

For me it will always be a trophy, I  was alive when we won the Fairs Cup, but have no memory of it. Started going in the early 70s, was a regular or season ticket holder until Sir Bobbys second season, a bit more of an occasional attendee since. But being oldish I just want to see a captain of NUFC with a trophy in his hand before I can't.

3 hours ago, WideopenMag said:

I don't think it's bigger at all would be massive for the club to win something. Surprised anyone would be torn, with our trophy run it has to be the priority. 

I mean, if I was young Spaniard would I want to sign for a team in next seasons champions league or one who had just won the FA Cup? I know it's not that simple bit champions league raises the profile much more than an FA Cup win does.

13 minutes ago, madras said:

I mean, if I was young Spaniard would I want to sign for a team in next seasons champions league or one who had just won the FA Cup? I know it's not that simple bit champions league raises the profile much more than an FA Cup win does.

For that particular young Spaniard maybe I can see your point, for us as a club, a fan base and our standing in England I don't think so. Big clubs win things at the end of the day, players want to play for clubs that win things and want successful careers. Joining Newcastle to win trophies sounds a lot more appealing to me. If we want to compete properly we need to end our trophy drought.

17 minutes ago, madras said:

I understand that qualifying consistently for the Champions League massively increases our profile, our ability to attract quality players and our chances of winning multiple trophies down the line...but...

I'm 35 so I've seen us play in the Champions League, I've seen some wonderful players in my beloved black and white, but I've never seen us win anything remotely meaningful. Bag the FA Cup and even if we do nothing of note again I've seen all I'd ever need to see as a football fan.

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

I mean, they still looked comically bad tbh. Done very well second half though, although the goalkeeping at both ends is still a sight to behold at times :lol:

They definitely didn't look comically bad, playing one of the top youth teams in Europe and looked competitive