Newcastle United 1-3 Notts Forest (26/12/23)

Disco

Miggy and big DB had very bad games as well. Thought we lost the ball far too easily and didn´t win hardly any 50/50 duels, they countered really well and big Chris had a purple day...

Not much else to say.

P.S. When Hall did come on the rest of the team seemed to want to pass it always to the opposite side he was on even if he was the better option i.e. they do not trust the kid

1 minute ago, buzza said:

Miggy and big DB had very bad games as well. Thought we lost the ball far too easily and didn´t win hardly any 50/50 duels, they countered really well and big Chris had a purple day...

Not much else to say.

P.S. When Hall did come on the rest of the team seemed to want to pass it always to the opposite side he was on even if he was the better option i.e. they do not trust the kid

It was a droppable performance from Burn. He’ll start against Liverpool though. 

I noticed that as well

2 minutes ago, buzza said:

Not much else to say.

I noticed that as well and for what it's worth I thought Hall looked solid and much tighter at the back than Burn had been

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

Schar was lifting today as well. 

He’s looking every bit the liability he used to be in a flat back 4 prior to his resurgence. Very indisciplined at the minute and all over the fucking shop, needs to be reminded defending is his primary job.

Watching the highlights and it makes us look really dominate. Lots of chances just not falling at the right someone’s foot, some good saves from Turner, etc. The highlights made it look like Isak had a good game as well, that run in the 60s looked like he was back to his old self. 

Obviously watching the entire match could give up different opinions but they definitely made the 1-3 scoreline look incredibly flattering to Forest. 

2 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Watching the highlights and it makes us look really dominate. Lots of chances just not falling at the right someone’s foot, some good saves from Turner, etc. The highlights made it look like Isak had a good game as well, that run in the 60s looked like he was back to his old self. 

Obviously watching the entire match could give up different opinions but they definitely made the 1-3 scoreline look incredibly flattering to Forest. 

It definitely is flattering - Forest looked by far the more dangerous side

15 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

It wasn't quite Fulham under Souness but 2-3 or even 3-3 wouldn't have been a totally crazy result (nor would 1-5, mind). There were a couple of occasions where it seemed destined to go in for us but it just didn't; Isak and Miley in particular had good games imo. 

We were desperately vulnerable out of possession; a symptom of our mental fragility atm. We had a disjointed backline which got caught ball-watching too often, barely shielded by a shape-less midfield. Combine that with the deadly striker wearing red and there's your reboot of Michael Owen's 1998 first half hat-trick. Holy Guivarc'h was it painful to watch.

Missed the match day thread but the minute miggy fluffed that attack and they countered I said straight away we will get punished here.

just feel like any chink in the armour atm is a catastrophic blow.

One of them games. As an experienced campaigner you’ll know there tends to be one daft result on Boxing Day. Today it was at SJP. For 44 mins we played well and there’d be no arguments if we were 2 or 3 up but unfortunately we couldn’t get that killer 2nd.

Forest had a great 20min spell both sides of HT but mainly 2nd after the 1st goal which allowed them to grow and see out the game yet we still could’ve snatched a draw with a bit of luck.

Was always a defender of Wood during his time here so nothing to add here for those who couldn’t see what he brought to the team. Same for those wanting rid of ASM. Penny for your thoughts now…

Edited by LFEE

5 hours ago, dcmk said:

Agree.

Second half was the worst I’ve seen. First half thought we were pretty good to be fair, was moving it around really good.  Some of the play between Bruno and Miles was class and full of confidence.

if Miggy had shot instead of tried to pass, to make it 2-0, probably would have been a dull night for some on here.

Confidence seemed to disappear after their goal and totally capitulated.

You’ve definitely seen worse second halves at NUFC 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You’ve definitely seen worse second halves at NUFC 

:lol: Absolutely.

Think I meant to write 'this season'.  But there is some competition, Liverpool immediately comes to mind as well as Everton.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

One of them games. As an experienced campaigner you’ll know there tends to be one daft result on Boxing Day. Today it was at SJP. For 44 mins we played well and there’d be no arguments if we were 2 or 3 up but unfortunately we couldn’t get that killer 2nd.

Forest had a great 20min spell both sides of HT but mainly 2nd after the 1st goal which allowed them to grow and see out the game yet we still could’ve snatched a draw with a bit of luck.

Was always a defender of Wood during his time here so nothing to add here for those who couldn’t see what he brought to the team. Same for those wanting rid of ASM. Penny for your thoughts now…

:lol: Nice post until the trademark wummery right at the death. ASM would obviously be injured by now anyway. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

I agree we miss a player like ASM but I don’t think it is ASM we miss. He’d have 1 million percent been injured for most of this season, like he always was. 

i just can’t agree on Wood. He was terrible for us and the only thing about him we’ve missed is a body to bring off bench when one of Isak/Wilson have been injured and the others needing a rest due to large amount of games. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

ASM and Wood aren’t good enough for where NUFC want to be. 

You can keep the penny ;) 

5 hours ago, Nine said:

Having Murphy available takes a lot of the physical strain off of Miggy who has started and played 90 mins every game for how long? Just having any options in the wide areas is massive, having gassed players there is a huge part of our problem.

Exactly this, our high press is reliant on our winger's energy and its non-existant at the moment, can't remember the last time Gordon won a take-on and his ability to get round the back caused the opposition so many problems. Same with Miggy, his relentless tracking of the ball has won us possession high up the pitch so many times last season and earlier this season, they've got nothing in the tank. 

Almiron has never been the greatest with his decision making and has never used his right foot, but it's obvious the mental fatigue he's suffering has made him 10 times worse, everyone ready to write him off, I just want him well rested, no he's not the answer long term but I guarantee people will be singing his praises again once Myrphy is back and he can get some rest.