Liverpool vs. Newcastle United: 1/1/24 @ 20:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Beating these cunts would be the best start to 2024 ever.

However, will settle for a disciplined, organised performance and hopefully it’s enough to give them a game.

Worse case it’s undisciplined, we pick up an injury/red card and we’re just passive and get twatted.

If it’s the latter and we don’t get some sort of reaction to recent performances I might start getting a bit concerned.

6 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Beating these cunts would be the best start to 2024 ever.

However, will settle for a disciplined, organised performance and hopefully it’s enough to give them a game.

Worse case it’s undisciplined, we pick up an injury/red card and we’re just passive and get twatted.

If it’s the latter and we don’t get some sort of reaction to recent performances I might start getting a bit concerned.

I think it’s the proverbial “we need a performance” before the derby. I expect to get beaten but I want us to give it a proper go so we go into the derby with some momentum. Another flat performance and roll over and it’ll be a worry before the Mackems. We’ve got players to hurt them but we’ll have to have a perfect performance. 

2 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think it’s the proverbial “we need a performance” before the derby. I expect to get beaten but I want us to give it a proper go so we go into the derby with some momentum. Another flat performance and roll over and it’ll be a worry before the Mackems. We’ve got players to hurt them but we’ll have to have a perfect performance. 

We’re due a perfect performance  :indi:

12 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

We’re due a perfect performance  :indi:

Last two games against these, not great results but some great football, by both teams. I feel like we owe them one and winning there against the odds denting their pole position title aspirations would be a hell of a way to pay back in kind. 

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Last two games against these, not great results but some great football, by both teams. I feel like we owe them one and winning there against the odds denting their pole position title aspirations would be a hell of a way to pay back in kind. 

And a platform for lift off after a difficult period. Setting us up nicely for Saturdays game. Let’s do this :indi:

Fairly certain that Liverpool are the only prem team (that’s been that at least one full season) left that we haven’t picked a point up against whilst under Howe and I can’t see that changing today. Even though other games were tight you just feel Klopp knows how to play against us.

If Sven Botman made the error he made against Liverpool every week, we would not have got into the Champions League. I see that error, and Bruno's, and the Alisson save, as much bigger factors in us not beating Liverpool at SJP than "Klopp knows how to play us".

Liverpool have beaten us in the other games against Howe too, but the VAR check of the Isak offside goal has to be one of the least convincing so far. They didn't even bother to draw any lines. Had that been allowed, its 2-0 with half an hour or whatever it was to play.

At full strength and refreshed, I'd fancy our chances. Based on recent form, we are not full strength or refreshed. So I expect pain.

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Back to work tomorrow, please just give me something tonight lads 

I’m lucky that I don’t have to work for a few days as I broke a few ribs. I guess it depends on how you see it… :lol: 

Hopefully not but I think we will sit back way too much and park the bus. Dreadful to see so I hope I’m wrong. I don’t think that’s the right way either. 

As usual, find myself on the day of the game filled with optimism from absolutely nowhere. Maybe it was some of the 2023 end of year posts by the club/players. A draw here would be fantastic, a win almost unfathomable, given our record. But nothing is impossible with this team, and maybe the few extra days rest and desire to put things right will give us something special.

Just now, SiLvOR said:

As usual, find myself on the day of the game filled with optimism from absolutely nowhere. Maybe it was some of the 2023 end of year posts by the club/players. A draw here would be fantastic, a win almost unfathomable, given our record. But nothing is impossible with this team, and maybe the few extra days rest and desire to put things right will give us something special.

I’m hoping for this too :indi:

21 minutes ago, Stottie said:

If Sven Botman made the error he made against Liverpool every week, we would not have got into the Champions League. I see that error, and Bruno's, and the Alisson save, as much bigger factors in us not beating Liverpool at SJP than "Klopp knows how to play us".

Liverpool have beaten us in the other games against Howe too, but the VAR check of the Isak offside goal has to be one of the least convincing so far. They didn't even bother to draw any lines. Had that been allowed, its 2-0 with half an hour or whatever it was to play.

At full strength and refreshed, I'd fancy our chances. Based on recent form, we are not full strength or refreshed. So I expect pain.

Same time Liverpool make a habit of getting winners in the dying minutes more than any other team at the moment and you don’t mention either that both goals came from a Liverpool substitute brought on for that purpose. Klopp made a sub to get over the line and it worked. 

Is it not somewhere in the middle? Liverpool managed the game brilliantly with ten men, but they rode their luck and our game plan started to look more confused the longer the game went on.

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Is it not somewhere in the middle? Liverpool managed the game brilliantly with ten men, but they rode their luck and our game plan started to look more confused the longer the game went on.

I’ll agree with that