Liverpool 4-2 Newcastle United (01/01/2024)

BlueStar

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Boey_Jarton said:

On the longstaff penalty appeal -  if the same ball falls to a more technical player then they can engineer the situation far more effectively.

Longstaff regularly collapses after miscontrolling the ball or a poor touch. 

Aye, I wasn’t yelling for a penalty, I was yelling at Longstaff for flopping on the floor as usual.

Didn’t think Longstaff’s was a pen. Was there any major contact other than a bit of upper body when he was running through? It’s one of the weaknesses of his game that isn’t going to improve at this stage. He doesn’t have the technique to control aerial balls, bring them down cleanly and then find a yard of space which was required yesterday. It wasn’t an easy chance at all but he could have tried ten times and I wouldn’t have been confident it would have worked once 

4 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Aye, I wasn’t yelling for a penalty, I was yelling at Longstaff for flopping on the floor as usual.

Same here.  fucker looks to go down quicker than a 10 bob hooker [emoji38]

At the risk of going all Arsenal, you could make an interesting montage of decisions at Anfield against us in the last few years...

Just off the top of my head:

-Two pens yesterday

-Dummett 'penalty' on Salah

-Two players down with head injuries when a Liverpool goal scored

- Ryan Fraser Penalty not given

-Ref obstructing our player to assist Trent

- 10 minutes of added on time facilitating late winner

- Isak 'offside' 

Most of those decisions made diddly squat difference as Liverpool generally so much better than us at Anfield.

Mrs wise this morning, “yes they had a lot of chances but you have to score them. If it wasn’t for those 2 dodgy penalties. Fucking LiVARpool, & that bloody commentary was a disgrace, was he (Drury) sat bollocko knocking one out” [emoji38]

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Didn’t think Longstaff’s was a pen. Was there any major contact other than a bit of upper body when he was running through? It’s one of the weaknesses of his game that isn’t going to improve at this stage. He doesn’t have the technique to control aerial balls, bring them down cleanly and then find a yard of space which was required yesterday. It wasn’t an easy chance at all but he could have tried ten times and I wouldn’t have been confident it would have worked once 

Wasn’t for upper body contact. The defender cutting across him makes contact with his leg so possible trip… 🤷‍♂️ 

https://x.com/thatnufc/status/1742116986568523989?s=61&t=kJE1AU_9T9TvzyV_ebeY8Q

2 hours ago, Boey_Jarton said:

On the longstaff penalty appeal -  if the same ball falls to a more technical player then they can engineer the situation far more effectively.

Longstaff regularly collapses after miscontrolling the ball or a poor touch. 

Hard enough to control a ball like that on your chest whilst running, almost impossible when off balance, having your (would be) standing leg taken away. 

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s the same level of contact as the Jota one. Neither should be remotely close to being given as pens 

I don’t think any of them should’ve been pens. Diaz makes contact with Botman IMO. Ran across the challenge and stood on his foot. Alas such small margins…

Probably forgotten amongst all the anger at the penalty being awarded for Jota diving but did they check if he was offside originally? I'm convinced the VAR were so focused on looking at the contact that they forgot to check the original offside. Looked miles offside when McCallister played the through ball. Another royal fuck up by the video assistant :nope:

2 hours ago, Boey_Jarton said:

At the risk of going all Arsenal, you could make an interesting montage of decisions at Anfield against us in the last few years...

Most of those decisions made diddly squat difference as Liverpool generally so much better than us at Anfield.

Pretty much sums it up tbh.

I know Burns time should be coming to an end but I think we also need to remember that Mo Salah is very very good. 

Meanwhile in the corresponding position we had Almiron a player who is quickly going from can't help but love him to can't stand the sight of him. 

2 minutes ago, Cf said:

I know Burns time should be coming to an end but I think we also need to remember that Mo Salah is very very good. 

Meanwhile in the corresponding position we had Almiron a player who is quickly going from can't help but love him to can't stand the sight of him. 

Yeah, I’m all for Livramento starting ahead of him but with Trippier out, he had to start. Salah’s made better fullbacks look just as hapless tbf.

Starting Hall (with the limited game time he’s had) against one of the best wingers in the league wasn’t a much more appealing option.

43 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Yeah, I’m all for Livramento starting ahead of him but with Trippier out, he had to start. Salah’s made better fullbacks look just as hapless tbf.

Starting Hall (with the limited game time he’s had) against one of the best wingers in the league wasn’t a much more appealing option.

krafth at RB

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

What's happened to Matt Targett btw? Did he get injured again?

Just now, The Prophet said:

Had surgery on his hamstring I think.

Ok. Poor guy hasn't had much of a break since his first season where he was outstanding.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

What's happened to Matt Targett btw? Did he get injured again?

Yeah. Had to have surgery. Shame, really as I think he’s been hard done by through how solid defensively we’d been last season.

“Always a 7 out of 10” - everyone.

Edited by McCormick

1 minute ago, OoOGazOoO said:

Does anyone know if last night's game was Mo Salah's last game before leaving for the ACoN?

If the commentary was anything to go by it was his last game before Ascension.