sunderland 0-3 Newcastle United (06/01/24)

Yorkie

9 hours ago, brummie said:

It is absolutely ferocious by any sense of the word.

Really thoroughly intense. Only same-city derbies can be like that IMO.

You don't see this very often, for example:

I was going to say Birmingham-Villa looks like a particularly hairy one, but I don't agree about the same city thing, I'd think that's a ferocity *despite* it being same city. Except when it's about something more, like Rangers-Celtic, my impression is being in the same city dampens things. Outside of football you represent the same city, mix much more, share a city pride. For us our city pride and football rivalry are tied up. My mam couldn't give a fuck about football but wants us to win the derby, cos it's her city. Mackems were 'that lot' down the road I was always hearing about growing up, but I never had any mackem mates do dispel the myths and soften things.

3 hours ago, McDog said:

Commentator on ESPN which may be the same feed in England, no idea, said and I am paraphrasing: "I know they like to play from the back which is fine against a Championship side but when the big boys come to town, that won't work".

ESPN commentators were Ian Darke and Steve McManaman

1 minute ago, Exiled in Texas said:

ESPN commentators were Ian Darke and Steve McManaman

Good old Shaggy. He played when I first started following the EPL.

Some strange backing off by our Cb's for the two shots they had 2nd half. Not sure what's going on there. 

Also Burn just feels like watching such and oil tanker out there at the moment. 

I really feel Tino needs to be first choice left back now. 

Lots of people felt Man U at home was one of our strongest performances this season and that was with Tino marauding down the left. Not to mention his excellent defensive 1v1 work. 

4 hours ago, et tu brute said:

The three settlements were far more than 100 people as they had been settlements for hundreds of years. You're totally right about the Scots forces and I never once mentioned about the fact they go on about 'we beat the mags', I was answering the point about there had been history between the two towns/cities going back to the civil war. 

Sunderland wasn’t even a town during the civil war.  It’s just ahistorical the whole ‘Sunderland was Roundheads, Newcastle was royalist, that’s why they don’t get along’ stuff.  Same with the mercantile stuff from the same era.  There’s nothing in the historical record to suggest anything of the sort, and logic dictates that there wasn’t a rivalry between a town with a population over 10,000 and a handful of villages with a combined population of the low hundreds.  

11 hours ago, brummie said:

It is absolutely ferocious by any sense of the word.

Really thoroughly intense. Only same-city derbies can be like that IMO.

You don't see this very often, for example:

I don’t think so at all tbh.  Hasn’t made Southampton-Portsmouth or Newcastle-Sunderland more cuddly.  Man Utd-Leeds is nastier than Liverpool-Everton. 

8 hours ago, SteV said:

Seems a sound bloke from what I’ve heard of people who’ve had interactions with him.

How he gets a ticket for games like this I’m not entirely sure mind, but probably best not open that can of worms…

Does he not have a season/corporate ticket?

Was a regular before becoming a referee wasn’t he?

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Sunderland wasn’t even a town during the civil war.  It’s just ahistorical the whole ‘Sunderland was Roundheads, Newcastle was royalist, that’s why they don’t get along’ stuff.  Same with the mercantile stuff from the same era.  There’s nothing in the historical record to suggest anything of the sort, and logic dictates that there wasn’t a rivalry between a town with a population over 10,000 and a handful of villages with a combined population of the low hundreds.  

I think you need to read up more. And I've already said the land was made up of three settlements. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Boldon_Hill

https://englandsnortheast.co.uk/stuarts-civil-war/

https://research.leedstrinity.ac.uk/ws/portalfiles/portal/423616/Hidden_Axis_article_for_NH.pdf

31 minutes ago, Stifler said:

No idea tbh.

Not sure if he’d be allowed to have one given his position? 

He always seems to be with dad, so probably just got the tickets in the family.

34 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Aye I'm sure he's had a season ticket for years

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

No, I’m aware of the above.  That still does not mean that the Newcastle-Sunderland rivalry begins during the Civil War and continued through the centuries.  

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, I’m aware of the above.  That still does not mean that the Newcastle-Sunderland rivalry begins during the Civil War and continued through the centuries.  

Bollocks, the rivalry of the people started during the civil war, escalated through the coal trade and surfaced again during the rise of the Jacobites. Unless you think there was two football teams during that time. 

I do agree with you on Brummie's post though, he's talking absolute shite concerning the only real rivalry being 'in city' derbies 

Edited by et tu brute

53 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Bollocks, the rivalry of the people started during the civil war, escalated through the coal trade and surfaced again during the rise of the Jacobites. Unless you think there was two football teams during that time. 

I do agree with you on Brummie's post though, he's talking absolute shite concerning the only real rivalry being 'in city' derbies 

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the first one mate - I don’t think there is a trail from one to the next.  👍

With regards to the away support on Sat - as someone who watched on TV, it did seem quiet, as well as when we scored - it was mostly people clapping, rather than 'limbs' that I could see. Is this not a sign of the times in our support - a lot of die-hards have been locked out, possibly due to a change in economic capability (being so expensive) as well as middle-class 'gentri-fication' of PL football, in general?

The idea that PL football is still a working man's game is laughable. I can certainly no longer afford to justify getting a season ticket, nevermind getting one for me and my daughter or nephew. Far more important things to spend that cash on. Like food and keeping warm!

7 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

With regards to the away support on Sat - as someone who watched on TV, it did seem quiet, as well as when we scored - it was mostly people clapping, rather than 'limbs' that I could see. Is this not a sign of the times in our support - a lot of die-hards have been locked out, possibly due to a change in economic capability (being so expensive) as well as middle-class 'gentri-fication' of PL football, in general?

The idea that PL football is still a working man's game is laughable. I can certainly no longer afford to justify getting a season ticket, nevermind getting one for me and my daughter or nephew. Far more important things to spend that cash on. Like food and keeping warm!

It’s a combination of factors, many of which you’ve mentioned. The current ticketing situation and ID requirements leans towards ST holders now which again, leans towards people who can afford them. @Paully and others have articulated the shift this is creating well.

As a former ST holder now based down the other end of the country I used to be able to get a healthy share of those games where people would struggle to get to them - E.g midweek London, Midlands, South Coast games. With the new system and as a member only I don’t get a sniff.

I've seen a lot of the mackems have made out this was the 'first of the new derby' because of our ownership.

Putting aside that daft argument it actually did feel to me noticeably different to all the other derbies in my lifetime. The tone was set from the first seconds when they gave the ball straight to us. It genuinely felt like a cup match against a lower league side, with us dominating the ball on opposition soil, killing the contest and ultimately winning with ease. It was a very weird experience tbh. I was nervous obviously but it definitely didn't feel like it had anywhere near the jeopardy of previous years because of the gulf in class. This inevitably also changed the feel of the atmosphere as well. Our support enjoying a lot of rather nerveless triumphalism, their support stoically singing 'sunlun till I die' for 90 mins as if the on-field result was secondary to off-field matters.

Unless there is drastic changes in ownership or Sunderland can establish themselves as a mid-table PL side it could be decades until we have a normal derby again.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I know I'm being a whingey pedant, but the editing on that match cam is a war crime. 

Nah, you're right. The output from the in-house media is so average. Should just let Waxxa do everything. 

9 hours ago, alexf said:

Some strange backing off by our Cb's for the two shots they had 2nd half. Not sure what's going on there. 

Also Burn just feels like watching such and oil tanker out there at the moment. 

I really feel Tino needs to be first choice left back now. 

Lots of people felt Man U at home was one of our strongest performances this season and that was with Tino marauding down the left. Not to mention his excellent defensive 1v1 work. 

Agree with all of this. When Pritchard was running towards the box for the second shot, the one Dubravka saved well, everyone in the pub was shouting to close him down. Didn’t understand why we let him run at us, particularly after he’d hit the bar not too long before. 

12 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I've seen a lot of the mackems have made out this was the 'first of the new derby' because of our ownership.

Putting aside that daft argument it actually did feel to me noticeably different to all the other derbies in my lifetime. The tone was set from the first seconds when they gave the ball straight to us. It genuinely felt like a cup match against a lower league side, with us dominating the ball on opposition soil, killing the contest and ultimately winning with ease. It was a very weird experience tbh. I was nervous obviously but it definitely didn't feel like it had anywhere near the jeopardy of previous years because of the gulf in class. This inevitably also changed the feel of the atmosphere as well.

Unless there is drastic changes in ownership or Sunderland can establish themselves as a mid-table PL side it could be decades until we have a normal derby again.

The 2012-2016 derbies the club was at one of its lowest ebbs I think.  Being managed by Pardew, a guest appearance from Carver and McLaren.  The Mackems were a basket case but they managed to galvanise themselves with new manager bounces and players that could really get to grips with the fixture.