sunderland 0-3 Newcastle United (06/01/24)

Yorkie

Guest reefatoon

Well the feel good didn’t last long I see. Back on the complain train it is.

image.gif.c6faf7d1516b690c9b0ddf00f6eda052.gif

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

I can’t get my head around when we stopped singing the Blaydon Races, it’s like the scousers not singing YNWA or Man City Blue Moon.

Surely we can’t be losing our identity already we haven’t even won owt or become anywhere near a global club yet. 

Its fucking tragic like, could even hear the mackems giving it the old constant Haway The Lads yesterday, we can’t even muster that these days.

Mad thing is everyone used to sing YNWA. Blaydon Races is specific to us and our region despite other clubs nicking the tune. Likewise Blue Moon isn't a Manchester song. So sad. Like for me I'd even sing Fog on the Tyne and things like that. They're our songs.

Just now, reefatoon said:

Well the feel good didn’t last long I see. Back on the complain train it is.

image.gif.c6faf7d1516b690c9b0ddf00f6eda052.gif

:lol:

Aye, we do need to just enjoy the win like tbf.

15 minutes ago, Charlies said:

This is the best reaction I’ve seen from one of their fans:

Virtually spot on with everything he said tbf.

Not sure I like sensible mackems. Might have to have a browse of RTG to counter it.

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

We had that in the play off final with exactly over 30 year ago. Not downplaying the rivalry between your two clubs, but you're quote on only same city derbies can be like that is bollocks. The NUFC and SAFC rivalry is based on history between the two towns/cities built up since the English civil war

The English Civil War stuff is a Mackems invention mind.  Sunderland didn’t exist in any real sense in the mid-C17th. 

For those that were there and in the lower tier, what were opinions on about the exit strategy they used?

I understand the reasons for being held back. Not necessarily got a problem with that. 

But the lack of communication as to exactly what was going on and how long it was going to take eventually started to cause a bit of restlessness / aggro in the concourse. If the result had gone the other way and there was a prevailing mood of anger rather than happiness, things might well have got a bit nasty.

Then outside the ground I wasn’t particularly impressed with the kettling tactic they used, where the exit was via a small gap that had a kerb and bollards in front of it, which you couldn’t see through a mass of bodies. Felt quite dangerous tbh.

21 hours ago, huss9 said:

got canny packed in when when we were waiting to be let out of the lower tier after the game.

got even worse outside when the police were holding us back for the buses home - proper crush trying to get through to the car park with 2 police vans parked either side causing a bottleneck..

mentioned it earler.

not a nice experience for my kids.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

mentioned it earler.

not a nice experience for my kids.

Yeah, my mate who I was with has two football-mad boys of 10 and 8 and he was saying that even in the concourse before ko, he wouldn’t have felt comfortable having them there, nevermind what occurred getting out.

Just now, SteV said:

Yeah, my mate who I was with has two football-mad boys of 10 and 8 and he was saying that even in the concourse before ko, he wouldn’t have felt comfortable having them there, nevermind what occurred getting out.

before kick off its fine, you just move into the stand.

after full time, if you go down to the concourse, your stuck. and it slowly gets more and more packed.

but again, outside it was not good stuff by the police.

41 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The English Civil War stuff is a Mackems invention mind.  Sunderland didn’t exist in any real sense in the mid-C17th. 

They existed aa three settlements and is documented history if you look it up. The civil war stuff is not mackem invention either it's historical fact

Edited by et tu brute

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

before kick off its fine, you just move into the stand.

after full time, if you go down to the concourse, your stuck. and it slowly gets more and more packed.

but again, outside it was not good stuff by the police.

Yeah, tbh we queued and got a couple of beers before the game, and I half wished we hadn’t bothered as you could barely move on the concourse. 

My mate is an Inspector with Durham force and got drafted in to help with the away end yesterday (although I failed to spot him anywhere). He’s already had a couple of texts from me and I’ll be chewing his ear when I next see him…

*as an aside before the game I saw Michael Oliver spill a pint (his own) over someone’s arm at the bar and by way of an apology he gave a him a different pint.

14 minutes ago, huss9 said:

if they'd announced we;'d be kept back 30 minutes most of us would have stayed in our seats.

the kettling outside was worse.

They did, I heard it over the PA system ahead of the game.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

*as an aside before the game I saw Michael Oliver spill a pint (his own) over someone’s arm at the bar and by way of an apology he gave a him a different pint.

I saw on Twitter that he picked up one of our fans after they fell over each other when we had scored.

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

They did, I heard it over the PA system ahead of the game.

Well yeah, we all knew we were getting held back, but if they’d just provided a bit more info at the time it would have been helpful.

Maybe one copper with a megaphone or something? I dunno, maybe that’s not practical ??‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I saw on Twitter that he picked up one of our fans after they fell over each other when we had scored.

Seems a sound bloke from what I’ve heard of people who’ve had interactions with him.

How he gets a ticket for games like this I’m not entirely sure mind, but probably best not open that can of worms…

1 hour ago, Charlies said:

This is the best reaction I’ve seen from one of their fans:

Commentator on ESPN which may be the same feed in England, no idea, said and I am paraphrasing: "I know they like to play from the back which is fine against a Championship side but when the big boys come to town, that won't work".

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

I know I get society has changed but yesterday is a game when you would expect limbs for every goal. I remember the 1-4 everyone went beserk for every goal.

We’ve got the worst song book and everything literally sounds shit at the minute. Years gone by the Blaydon Races would have been reverberating around the shit hole yesterday, didn’t even get an airing yesterday, we’ve turned into a generic fan base overnight it seems.

Blaydon Races was sang yesterday. (Yes… I was there). Don’t believe everything you read on social media.

20 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

They existed aa three settlements and is documented history if you look it up. The civil war stuff is not mackem invention either it's historical fact

I read that yesterday when researching the Tyne-Wear Derby.

25 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

The makems interpretation of the Civil War stuff is the invention - "we beat the mags in the Civil War and we've been enemies ever since".

The idea that two or three settlements of less than a hundred people, fought the large Garrison town of Newcastle is laughable.

They were merely used as a convenient small port to land a large invading army of Scots. 

We've gone over this many times before.

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

if they'd announced we;'d be kept back 30 minutes most of us would have stayed in our seats.

the kettling outside was worse.

The club said this would happen in their email to supporters. It was also spread across social media. I sat in my seat for 25-30mins singing songs and watched the warmed down.

1 hour ago, SteV said:

For those that were there and in the lower tier, what were opinions on about the exit strategy they used?

I understand the reasons for being held back. Not necessarily got a problem with that. 

But the lack of communication as to exactly what was going on and how long it was going to take eventually started to cause a bit of restlessness / aggro in the concourse. If the result had gone the other way and there was a prevailing mood of anger rather than happiness, things might well have got a bit nasty.

Then outside the ground I wasn’t particularly impressed with the kettling tactic they used, where the exit was via a small gap that had a kerb and bollards in front of it, which you couldn’t see through a mass of bodies. Felt quite dangerous tbh.

Thought it was no different to every other visit there. Just the usual impatience from those who couldn’t see what they were trying to do (Fill so many buses at a time and let them getaway so they could line up the next batch and release more people to fill them, no different to outbound journey). If I was to pick a fault you could’ve had the police with a megaphone explain it whilst stood outside but in fairness I was explaining to everyone moaning around me what they were doing and they still weren’t having it. Police can never win unfortunately. Lot of thick people unfortunately and just like to moan or shout abuse with no grounds.

Overall there and back I thought it was organised very well and not a hint of danger with regards the police. As for SAFC they could’ve had more staff on for serving and I believe after the game they didn’t sell anything despite them meant to be as per email. I did hear that the card machine signals failed (?) so they gave some free drinks out that had been poured then closed so maybe that was the reason ??‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, bigfella said:

The makems interpretation of the Civil War stuff is the invention - "we beat the mags in the Civil War and we've been enemies ever since".

The idea that two or three settlements of less than a hundred people, fought the large Garrison town of Newcastle is laughable.

They were merely used as a convenient small port to land a large invading army of Scots. 

We've gone over this many times before.

The three settlements were far more than 100 people as they had been settlements for hundreds of years. You're totally right about the Scots forces and I never once mentioned about the fact they go on about 'we beat the mags', I was answering the point about there had been history between the two towns/cities going back to the civil war. 

Edited by et tu brute

The 6k had to include the usual away support from previous seasons you'd think.

LFEE is onto something though. Sunderland home or away as the best atmosphere of the season and the pinnacle is not something I recognise and there's been times when as away support they've just sat there or even stood, their contributions in the last terraced game at SJP was just the average. Maybe its the weird dynamic when its not really competitive, the war is won and your team dominates the game. We were losing in 2006 until well into second-half as shit as they were so its not really comparable other than both should have been (one was) 90minutes of piss taking. *They didn't come near to selling their allocation on that occasion, to my earlier point about support in this game.

It was never not good away there in my experience, but my last one was 2006 and I doubt its been much different to Saturday in more recent times.

Edited by Jonas