Newcastle United 2-3 Manchester City (13/01/23)

Yorkie

2 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

They completely dominated us for 70 minutes. We didn’t deserve a point.

Man City haven't deserved to lose a game for about 10years by that logic. It should be a given that they'll dominate against all but the very best teams in the world. You're never going to beat or draw with them on points just got to find a way and blag by.

14 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

When you've got no subs of substance and players running themselves into the ground it's hardly a surprise is it? We gave it our best shot, had we scored just before KDB came on it might have been a different result but at 2-1 it felt inevitable.

Villa will compound our misery but I'm sticking to my prediction of a spring comeback for us, just hope it's not too late for some kind of European venture next season.

Yeah that's my point. They are making it seem like City did something special. They played against players who couldn't even run anymore.

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Yeah that's my point. They are making it seem like City did something special. They played against players who couldn't even run anymore.

I was agreeing with you not having a dig mate :thup:

Edited by Mattoon

37 minutes ago, Abacus said:

We definitely should have subbed either Miley or Longstaff off for de Bruyne second half, I reckon.

The transfer window has been open for a couple of weeks now and its been obvious for a while that we are in dire need of a CM. Cant be hard to get a good cheap deal for a loanee. You would think letting a young talent get premier league experience/exposure would a kinda attractive for a foreign club.

5 minutes ago, Displayname said:

The transfer window has been open for a couple of weeks now and its been obvious for a while that we are in dire need of a CM. Cant be hard to get a good cheap deal for a loanee. You would think letting a young talent get premier league experience/exposure would a kinda attractive for a foreign club.

Yeah, I think we all wish there had been a few moves like this already. Then again, not sure blooding someone into the PL against Man City would have made all that much difference in this game, but who knows - better than what we did have, I suppose.

Joelinton was only confirmed out for a while pretty recently, so maybe it was a calculated gamble for a game or two. Dunno though, there are other gambles across most positions right now.

2 hours ago, Rod said:

Trippier totally inept marking for the third goal.  Just tell it how it is and don't protect him so much.  The bloke would admit it was his fault so don't talk crap.

Aye no bother Rod ?

Just watched the highlights back to soak in our goals again. Fuck me what a pair of absolute pearlers. Stupendous goals; there's enough just in those two finishes to give us encouragement for the near future. We've so much quality, we just need to get back into our groove. 

That assist from De Bruyne though. :anguish: His right foot should be on display whenever he's not using it. Just unreal. Naughty finish from Bobb n'all tbf, the bastard. 

Just now, Infatuation Junkie said:

Bruno and Miley passes for them goals. Spunk worthy.

We got beaten by a team with the absolute best in the prem and possibly the world.

Every goal today was world class from both sides.

I have zero complaints. With form or this result.

Aye

strange, but was much more angry after the Liverpool loss at home, from 1-0 up at HT and they had a red card too. fucking Nunez scored two in second half.

Dubravka actually had some proper good saves.

2 hours ago, The Bonk said:

Me neither, that effort, given the circumstances was great from the lads. We’ll get there, it’s just not as quick as some would like. ?? 

Fantastic comment, I completely agree. We've just got to be humble and polite and be patient. All good things come to those who wait.

fatigue seemed to set in at 45 minutes.

offered absolutely nowt secind half.

a week off, should have at least made it till 60minutes before looking fucked..

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

Looking fucked, or just trying to hang on against the best team in the world? 

We were definitely buggered by about 60-70 minutes though. Crying out for Wilson and even just one of Murphy, Barnes, Anderson, Joelinton & Willock just to give us some form of alternative.

3 minutes ago, huss9 said:

City managed the first 15/20 of the half perfectly - constant possession. They could've easily ramped it up a few times in that period imo but strangled us and kept their FBs a little more restrained to help win the second balls. They knew if they stopped the counters then we didn't have much left once Isak and Gordon gassed.

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

5 minutes into the second half I knew exactly how it would play out. 

Its no coincidence we concede a lot of late goals. It’s the same problems again and again and no attempt to change it. 

Because we currently don't have the fit players available to change it.

26 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

5 minutes into the second half I knew exactly how it would play out. 

Its no coincidence we concede a lot of late goals. It’s the same problems again and again and no attempt to change it. 

Who would you bring on to 'change it'?

45 minutes ago, Mountain said:

Fantastic comment, I completely agree. We've just got to be humble and polite and be patient. All good things come to those who wait.

Not to disagree but I feel I've been waiting all my life. I'm 65 in March and I'm close to starting to pray that I see success before I shuffle off into whatever lies beyond.

When we became the first team in Chamion's Leaugue history to lose our opening three group games but still qualify I thought we were close, it wasn't to be though.

6 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Who would you bring on to 'change it'?

I would just attempt something else. Anything else.  

I’ve seen that second half 5 times this season. Each time… Eddie just hasn’t responded. 

At 2-1 the commentator said we might bring on Lascelles for Bruno. That didn’t make any sense to me but I would’ve welcomed the attempt to change the music. 

Bruno is brilliant, I love him, but he needs to either be more defensively disciplined or for Longstaff or Miley to play in his position in a more disciplined way.

There is constantly a big hole between our midfield and defence, where Bruno should be, and it makes us so easy to play through. It's been the same all season.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, that tweet is where I'm at too. I felt absolutely sick all day at the prospect of us not being competitive here; all of the encouragement and goodwill from last weekend wpuld be eradicated by an annihilation.

Agonising though it was, that didn't happen, and thankfully Forest still looks like the nadir. We were decent tonight, well in the game, and just about worth the lead after two fantastic goals. We lost but it wasn't an horrendous loss, late gut-punches notwithstanding. 

We're clearly on the mend, we just can't make any decent fucking subs.

Our dreadful performances have all been away, that being said, the schedule has eased so I expect us to improve over what we did in December. 

23 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Bruno is brilliant, I love him, but he needs to either be more defensively disciplined or for Longstaff or Miley to play in his position in a more disciplined way.

There is constantly a big hole between our midfield and defence, where Bruno should be, and it makes us so easy to play through. It's been the same all season.

The 3 in midfield flat. Massive gap. Back 4.  Smart opposition can place players in that massive gap. 1 simple pass then they are running at our defence.   

We’ve had this weakness for at least a year.  I’ve not seen an attempt to address it. 

38 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

He isn't disciplined enough to play DM we need to sign one badly.

Think again we've got to look at how far we've come, it wasn't long ago where 4-0 or 5-0 to them home/away was a customary result, and in the circumstances our manager is getting absolutely everything out of the most depleted injury plagued team in the league 

Now if we can give the best team in the league a scare with a skeleton squad then imagine what we can do when we are full strength