'I can't believe they've made it': overrated players

toon25

6 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Yea.. he was striker with incredible striking technique. What did you want him to do? track back and defend and then not be in the box to finish off chances? Being in the right place at the right time is a skill within itself and his finishing is the best I've seen in the Premier League to date. 

Just a single dribble or goal outside the box would’ve been nice. Found him incredibly boring to watch for a supposed elite striker which is rare. If he didn’t have his intangibles he never would have made it as a professional football striker, let alone one that played for peak Man Utd and Real Madrid.

Edited by Pata

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Just a single dribble or goal outside the box would’ve been nice. Found him incredibly boring to watch for a supposed elite striker which is rare. If he didn’t have his intangibles he never would have made it as a professional football striker, let alone one that played for peak Man Utd and Real Madrid.

But that’s what they wanted him to do. The whole team was built around him being where he needed to be and finishing off chances with the ruthlessness he possessed. 

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Don’t see many tap in merchants anymore, lost art (Haaland aside :bluestar:). Not sure he would make it these days with that style. 

That goal was the one and only time he did it, which proves Pata's point. :lol: He was a tap in merchant, it's not a crime, but he definitely was one and it's okay to not like those sort of strikers.

If he did it for one season, I could understand but he was consistently scoring 20 a season.

Strikers always say they treasure tap ins more so than any other type of goal. 

The Sky Sports PL Legends episode needs to be revisited for a lot of you because he gets endorsements from Scholes, Keane, Rio and others as being the best finisher of his era. Rio and Keane always reference him as the gold standard of what a striker should be in his movement and finishing ability and I agree. You may not like it but you “can’t believe they made it” 

Edited by Astroblack

2 hours ago, Pata said:

Ruud van Nistelrooy had an amazing career for someone whose only qualities were being in the right place at the right time and I guess finishing inside the box. I absolutely loathed him when he was at Man Utd. :lol:

We’re just naming great players we don’t like personally now. 

1 hour ago, Astroblack said:

If he did it for one season, I could understand but he was consistently scoring 20 a season.

Strikers always say they treasure tap ins more so than any other type of goal. 

The Sky Sports PL Legends episode needs to be revisited for a lot of you because he gets endorsements from Scholes, Keane, Rio and others as being the best finisher of his era. Rio and Keane always reference him as the gold standard of what a striker should be in his movement and finishing ability and I agree. You may not like it but you “can’t believe they made it” 

His penalty technique was amazing too. Always low and into the side netting with power...never mattered if the keeper knew where he was going they just couldn't get near them

12 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I always thought Mark Noble had a really solid career for someone who I didn't think was very good

The very epitome of the average Premier league player.

Always good enough to start but never really good enough to be noticed by better clubs. Wouldn't say he was over-rated though, as I've yet to come across anyone who really paid any attention to him let alone rated him.

Must have had something to have played so many games though

2 hours ago, Pata said:

Ruud van Nistelrooy had an amazing career for someone whose only qualities were being in the right place at the right time and I guess finishing inside the box. I absolutely loathed him when he was at Man Utd. :lol:

Eh…he was mint man

Weird one. are we talking shit players who have no right, or players who are just not that good but somehow produced something along the lines to be relevant? If so the latter applies to Almiron & Murphy.

10 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Obviously didn't see his time at Leeds. Garbage for us but was brilliant for them

Seen him plenty at Leeds. In my younger days I was at Leeds more than Newcastle. Only due to availability.

Worked with a lad who played with him as a youth. He was a shithouse and also shite at footie.

Father was a scout with many fingers in many pies. Got him into places he didn’t deserve. 

Showed his true colours at Newcastle.

Personally never rated the racist prick.

Guest reefatoon

David Platt. Never understood the career he had and the huge clubs he played for. Apart from those goals in the 1990 World Cup, always thought he looked bang average and didn’t really offer anything when not scoring. Probably not helped that he had a face you wanted to wallop.

3 hours ago, Pata said:

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

I always thought Mark Noble had a really solid career for someone who I didn't think was very good

It's the Jeff Hendrick/Jack Colback/Tom Davies/Will Hughes class. Not one single redeeming quality neither physically nor technically besides being able to run a lot at a slow pace while hiding from the ball. If ball is obtained, it's 95% 5 yard sideways or backwards passes, and 5% hail mary hoofs.

Edit: I guess Mark Noble was ok at penalties though

Edited by Conjo