Fulham 0-2 Newcastle United (FA Cup) - 27/01/24

BlueStar

He’s clearly a decent human being but he’s unbearable to listen to. There’s not a single original thought in that head, just spouting platitudes and “cosy banter” nonstop

I was at the game yesterday in the home end. We were a group of 2 Fulham fans and 3 nufc fans and plenty of other nufc fans in the home end, due to the ticket boycott! Atmosphere was flat in the home end and looked great in the away end. 

Thought we seriously laboured first half and it was a turgid affair. Both sides making scrappy defensive errors, our rustiness showed and their fatigue. Fulham controlled most of the possession but I think you'd expect that from a premier League opponent away from home. 

My brother is a season ticket holder there so I go with him occasionally and they usually play the same way. Keep the ball, pass it around in midfield well and then get around the box and there is no good final ball or finish.

First half we weren't great as others have pointed out but equally despite them having the ball they never looked like scoring, their shots and moves were fairly routine to defend. 

There was a 15 min spell in the second half after the second goal where they looked like they could get back in it but even putting their big hitters on when 0-2 down never looked like we were uncomfortable and we did our job to see it out. 

Onwards and upwards and hope this is the shot in the arm the team needs to turn our season around 

Was he trying to claim it was a deliberate handball then? Fucking hell. That’s a bit of a reach :lol: 

Also, the whole ‘that’s your opinion’ bollocks. No, it is literally the law for handball in the league :lol: 

Really enjoyed this Fulham guy on their messageboard having a bit of a meltdown

The VAR decision that ruined Fulham's season

The sending off of Raul Jiminez was an absolute travesty of justice and has ruined our campaign this season.

In the Premier League game at St.James' Raul Jiminez mistimed his jump turned in mid-air to bump the Newcastle player with his bottom. The player, as Newcastle do, made a meal of it and several geordie teammates (foreigners actually) surrounded Jiminez to make the most of it as many teams do since VAR has blighted our game.

The referee showed a common sense approach and booked Raul. But for no apparent reason VAR decided to intervene and call the ref to the monitor which means panto time and reversal of earlier call. Of course VAR failed to spot the elbow on Jiminez prior to that, on a player who had suffered an horrific head injury from an assault by David Luiz that nearly killed him!

What it meant was down to 10-men away we lost that game. The 3-match ban on an in-form centre forward caused Fulham to lose every one of those games. It also lost Raul's form and he now looks like the player who had a goal drought.

All because of a subjective decision. No other team in the entire league has had such a devastating call on such a flimsy "offense".

Edited by joeyt

The Aussie should have given handball for their first goal. The two TV commentators thought so and if you watch about 6 Fulham players appealed for it so what did he think they saw??

On the replay one can see Bruno's arm/elbow sticking out away from his body and he makes a tiny move towards the ball so VAR (Harrington) should have intervened, but it's only Fulham so we get stitched.

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=aa3e6c9ad444b1a0084e9df165449d88&topic=93001.0

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Was he trying to claim it was a deliberate handball then? Fucking hell. That’s a bit of a reach :lol: 

Also, the whole ‘that’s your opinion’ bollocks. No, it is literally the law for handball in the league :lol: 

He’s a mental midget that one, just like Arteta.

Love beating Fulham quite consistently these days after always seeming to lose to them 10 years ago or so. Such a poxy club as well, but that's my South London showing

30 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Love beating Fulham quite consistently these days after always seeming to lose to them 10 years ago or so. Such a poxy club as well, but that's my South London showing

boa morte, lee Clarke and Clint Dempsey used to murder us 

12 hours ago, Teslact said:

He's often in the studio at NBC here in the US. Always seems the most balanced and well researched. 

Of course, he drops this clanger today in the Newport game when Hojlund scored "He hasn't scored as many as they would have liked, but they have a reputation for bringing the young kids through". They paid 80m for him.

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Really enjoyed this Fulham guy on their messageboard having a bit of a meltdown

I genuinely thought it was harsh until the posters on here very much suggested I watch the replays of the incident (I saw it live at the time). 
Was a red tbf. Also, the idea that Longstaff made a meal of that is laughable. He certainly does of nearly everything else but that poleaxed him.

On the shitter, reading my 'on this day' book.

Saturday 28th January 1956

Goals galore and controversy aplenty as Newcastle continue their defence of the FA Cup with a 5 - 4 win over Fulham at Craven Cottage. The occasion is given added spice by the appearance of ex-Newcastle manager Duggie Livingstone, now in charge of Fulham. A good Fulham goal is disallowed, and a shoulder charge by Vic Keeble is controversially allowed to stand when it looks like a foul on the keeper, but Newcastle win through in the end. The goals are scored by Keeble (Two), Jackie Millburn, Bob Stokoe and Tommy Casey.