Aston Villa 1-3 Newcastle United (30/01/24) | Reaction: pg 50 | Goal-posts: OP

Disco

Couldn't follow yesterday but sounds like we played well away finally which is good to see.

Season so far's been ridiculous with the fixtures and injuries. Hopefully a lot more manageable from now on - we're only playing a top team every three to four weeks now, instead of once/twice a week.

I always think 3 good results or 3 bad results in a row and the mood around a club completely changes. Let's get that third good result and hopefully just enjoy the rest of the season.

Emery must have amnesia with the 1st game of the season/ how they overran us at Villa Park last season (when Bruno had a mare and their energy overwhelmed us).

We weren’t anywhere near our best yesterday but we could have scored 6 or 7 because of their high line and failure to press us in our own half between the 18 yard line and centre circle. We had all day to play the ball across the middle and pick the right run to hit.

Emery has been lauded but that was shocking last night. Luton will be much tougher on Saturday. Villa fans can rightly be annoyed about that performance and it sounds like it’s been coming for them.

I've only watched Villa a few times this season. They were seriously impressive against City but the other times I've seen them have almost been a carbon copy - high line getting exposed but not punished. Underlying stats show they're a good team but have ridden their luck at times.

58 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Eh!? Is that AI Martin Tyler? It's either that or they've injected him with fetus blood. 

Sounds like Tyler. The other guy sounds like ai Andy Townsend to me.

44 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Emery must have amnesia with the 1st game of the season/ how they overran us at Villa Park last season (when Bruno had a mare and their energy overwhelmed us).

We weren’t anywhere near our best yesterday but we could have scored 6 or 7 because of their high line and failure to press us in our own half between the 18 yard line and centre circle. We had all day to play the ball across the middle and pick the right run to hit.

Emery has been lauded but that was shocking last night. Luton will be much tougher on Saturday. Villa fans can rightly be annoyed about that performance and it sounds like it’s been coming for them.

I dunno they have been very successful with that very high line all season I can't see why Emery wouldn't back his defense to keep up the excellent work they have been doing. You play like that you probably expect to get turned over a few times a season but generally worth it. 

I’m claiming an assist here. 

At Villa Park. I have seen us lose 4-1. 1-0. 1-0 and relegated. 0-0 and all but relegated. 1-1 years ago in an awful game. Shearer and Crouch on the score sheet. Shithole of a place and always misery when I visit. Good job I wasn’t there tonight to jinx it :lol: 

I also had a rare football bet on Villa, -1 and -2. My football betting is that bad. That in racing terms, I would have got Shergar beat in a one horse race. 

9 hours ago, Disco said:

Famous last words but they’ll fade as Yewrup will get in the way. 

Thought Emery was quality as usual after the game. Just called it how it was. Classy operator and very much not a cunt. Shame he’s at Davey Cameron’s boys.

Also highlights - https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/highlights/aston-villa-a-brief-highlights-23-24/

Raiser sounding morose pregame, bit odd. Enjoyable non the less though. 

Yeah, what a classy post match interview that was from Emery.

10 hours ago, Yorkie said:

We're 8-2 on aggregate against them this season so it's a pretty weak claim for bragging rights from Kevin Bridges.

He is a good player. If a bit of a rat and a moany prick. Lucky for him that he’s good at football. As he looks like he’d have a career as a junkie if not.

Henleys track suit, diamond white cider, maybe a bit of skag. Knocking about outside the local Costcutter. I can see it. 

15 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I've only watched Villa a few times this season. They were seriously impressive against City but the other times I've seen them have almost been a carbon copy - high line getting exposed but not punished. Underlying stats show they're a good team but have ridden their luck at times.

They are a good team but people seem to have been talking like they're already a CL side. And vice-versa, we are now shite.

We really need to learn to take a longer view and not try to make pronouncements about teams based on the current narrative. By we I mean everyone in football. 

9 hours ago, Disco said:

Raiser sounding morose pregame, bit odd. Enjoyable non the less though. 

Sounds like first part was added in or done outwith being in the ground 

I don't know if anyone else noticed a slight tweek last night. Bruno seemed to sit a tad deeper and didn't press whilst our CBs pushed up really aggressively. Felt like it really cut the distanced between our usual flat midfield set up and defence.

8 hours ago, jack j said:

Mad reading villa twitter and their forum.

Criticising Emery for playing the same tactics every week. Lots of criticism for cash and diaby. Playing to slowly out from the back etc

They're fucking 4th top

Social media has a lot to answer for when it comes to football

Yep, but to be fair ‘we’ need to take a long hard look in the mirror too. Plenty of inane, context free, dissatisfaction rumbling through our fanbase; we’d give the Villains a run for their money on illconsidered brain farts as well as beautiful football. 

Is Villa Park the most embarrassing venue in the Premier League by the way?

Fireworks, light show, absolutely zero atmosphere, deserting the team when two goals down but still in with a chance.

They're fucking fourth. They've won nowt for years and were unbeaten there this season until last night.

It was also a game against a pseudo-rival who'd spunked all owa them opening day. You'd think there'd be something.

Absolute tin pot club.

:lol: atmosphere seemed remarkably flat all game. Perhaps there was a Tory Party event going on that the louder fans were attending instead. 

Didn't even hear any songs about Prince William, poor.

13 minutes ago, CheikBoom said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed a slight tweek last night. Bruno seemed to sit a tad deeper and didn't press whilst our CBs pushed up really aggressively. Felt like it really cut the distanced between our usual flat midfield set up and defence.

I think the impending suspension is forcing Bruno to play a bit more sensibly, to his benefit.

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Fireworks, light show, absolutely zero atmosphere, deserting the team when two goals down but still in with a chance.

They're fucking fourth. They've won nowt for years and were unbeaten there this season until last night.

It was also a game against a pseudo-rival who'd spunked all owa them opening day. You'd think there'd be something.

Absolute tin pot club.

Bang on. Villa Park is a fucking class stadium as well so shame it’s like that 

When I’ve been there in the past, their fans in the stand to the right of the away end have always been proper giving it to the away fans. Last night they were just sat in silence. 

2 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Weave in the lesser spotted Harvey Barnes and Wilson and we can get some kind of proper rotation going to maximise press and limit further injuries.

We’ll be likely to have a Gordon suspension for two games in the next month (please not the cup game…) so need Isak, Wilson and Barnes back to cover them.

Why not the Blackburn game?

21 minutes ago, Rich said:

Absolute tin pot club.

Said it last night, I used to love going to Villa park with my old man. Think he was always a little bit gutted he couldn't turn me into a Villa fan :lol: Got loads of incredible memories there, but I think football fans have just changed, regardless of the club/ground. None of them seem that special these days.

10 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Yeah I agree - you could see how important he is for them.

I just think you’re their Kryptonite. Well-organized press and defence, and pace up front and on the wings. Their defence is so square at times.

You rode your luck a bit but just did enough defensively and they seemed a little out of sync going forward. We battered them at ours but couldn’t put them away and they clawed it back. The difference was that - after missing two gilt-edged chances - you did put them away.

I think Howe just made all the right calls. Realistically there are now a whole group of teams who have a plan and could sort of go either way. Good but not great - you, us, Villa, probably Arsenal. Chelsea too tbh. Liverpool one step ahead, Man City a step or two more. Them and Arsenal have the squad to cope with the injuries and games. You us and Villa are getting there.

We are not their Kryptonite as they absolutely battered us last season, maybe they were the team that outplayed us the most.

The good part is that now we have a capable manager who did change how we play specifically against Villa - оur defenders going up the field for their long through balls, Bruno sitting a little bit deeper and not pressing, trying to upset their play with very high-press the first 10-15 minutes of each half, us trying diagonal through balls to beat up their very high line etc.